• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Damage Rduction Rules - am i missing something?

rhammer2

First Post
I thought it was still going to be like DR 10 /Magic(+2) for DR verses magic.

The magic pluses still could matter if the DR is verses magic.

KaeYoss said:

http://www.enworld.org/modules.php?...ns&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=37&page=1

Either that or Dragon Mag.

In short: the DR Blah!/+3 Stuff will go away, that will be DR Blah!/Magic (or /Epic, if it's +6 or more, but that's not for the core rules). Also, there will be other descriptors, like /holy, /silver, /adamantine /alignment. In order to overcome that, you have to have the genuine article, magic won't be a substitute anymore. So while a +1 weapon overcomes DR /silver in 3e, you now need a real silver weapon. It's also possible that you need A OR B, or A AND B to hurt certain foes.
There will be spells to bless weapons (making it holy), weapons to align weapons (so you have a lawful weapon), but for the materials, there won't be any spells.
The amount of DR will go down. DR 5 or 10 will be common, DR 15 will be much, and DR 20 will be unheard-of.

So all in all: DR will be harder to circumvent, but easier to overcome.

Paladin

Explorer
Re: Re: 3.5 Stoneskin & DR...

Hypersmurf said:

My guess would be 5/- or 10/-.

-Hyp.
I had thought of that too, but that would make it even more powerful than 10/Epic, and if they knock it down to 5/- then will it still be as attractive as a defensive spell? IMO, there's a huge difference between 5 & 10 points, especially for wizards with their low HPs.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
rhammer2 said:
I thought it was still going to be like DR 10 /Magic(+2) for DR verses magic.

The magic pluses still could matter if the DR is verses magic.

Nope- the Dragon article that details 3.5 DR rolls all magic weapon DR into one heading... "DR xx/magic"

The others listed were:

DR xx/epic
DR xx/holy silver
DR xx/[alignment] (where "alignment" is lawful, good, chaotic, evil, etc....basically you have to have the properly aligned weapon to bypass DR

DR xx/- (all damage is reduced)

There may have been others listed, but the article does set up DR so each DM could tailor it (add to it or whatever) for his specific campaign very easily.

All in all, from what I saw in the article and "in other places", I like it.

Olive

Explorer
Grazzt said:
All in all, from what I saw in the article and "in other places", I like it.

me too, but i was just wondering about the idea of fiends hitting each other.

I agree some sort of DR bypass for creatures with the same DR might work well.

Geoff Watson

First Post
Olive said:

me too, but i was just wondering about the idea of fiends hitting each other.

I agree some sort of DR bypass for creatures with the same DR might work well.

They have to deal with the regeneration, anyway. Some fiends regenerate except from damage from blessed or holy weapons.

IMC, a powerful demon convinced one of the PCs to make a holy weapon for him, for use against other fiends; as an apology for destroying other stuff important to the demon.
(The PCs considered sneaking a helm of opposite alignment onto the demon but reconsidered when they realised that a HoOA grants a save in 3e.)

Geoff.

The Little Raven

First Post
Geoff Watson said:

(The PCs considered sneaking a helm of opposite alignment onto the demon but reconsidered when they realised that a HoOA grants a save in 3e.)

And how would they know, in character, that it allows a saving throw?

Do I smell metagaming?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
And how would they know, in character, that it allows a saving throw?

Do I smell metagaming?

"Do you have anything that could make a demon... nicer?"
"Well... I made this here Helm, once. But beware - sometimes it work, and sometimes it don't... depends on the mind of the wearer."

-Hyp.

Remove ads