• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Damage Rduction Rules - am i missing something?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
"Dang, Thronar... you think his widow can get their money back for that 'protection from missiles' spell?"

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
Piratecat said:
"Dang, Thronar... you think his window can get their money back for that 'protection from missiles' spell?"

dubious-yellow.gif

....window?....

Murrdox

First Post
I also assumed that new DR would still take enhancement bonuses into account.

So we'd have DR 5/Magic +1, or DR 10/Magic +3 for something really powerful.

Otherwise, once someone has an enhancement bonus on a weapon, no one is going to bother enchanting anything up to a +2 anymore... we'll just have +1 flaming lawful holy blades and +1 this and +1 that.

Is it really just going to be flat out DR 5/Magic??

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Yea, flat /magic. They reasoned that the important hitters (fighters and the like) will have the relevant bonus anyway. (Or have GMW put on their weapons)

Instead, they have now a lot of other descriptors - /cold iron, /evil, /holy. In the case of alignment or holy, you can have made that with spells (and probably magic abilities). But you still have to aquire them for the weapon. The first, cold iron (and silver, and adamantine...) cannot be applied. The weapon in question must be made of that material. So actually there will be much less cases where the players pierce the DR. That's why they toned down the whole thing.

And even with that, people will like to have a better chance to hit, and damage bonuses that apply all the time.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
wow this not needing higher +'s thing makes me think that they better change the costs of magic weapons. If a +1 can penetrate Dr just as well as a +5(excpet for damage) its not enarly as valuable as it was before. Add in that against some creatures being amgic means nothing and its even less valuable.

Also will this cover other things a weapons + was matched against like sundering other weapons. Will you now no longer need a =+ or just have a magic weapon?(not that D&D is historically consistent)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
kreynolds said:

dubious-yellow.gif
....window?....

Accursed typo! "Widow." Honest. Although window is amusingly surreal. :D

Incidentally, I think "holysilver" is "holy or silver." I'll be surprised if that isn't the case.

kreynolds

First Post
Piratecat said:
Incidentally, I think "holysilver" is "holy or silver."

Boy I hope not. I really like the idea of DR 10/bane holy cold iron bob thursday. You know, the kind where only bane holy cold iron weapons wielded by Bob on Thursdays can bypass it? :D

Last edited:

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Murrdox said:
I also assumed that new DR would still take enhancement bonuses into account.

So we'd have DR 5/Magic +1, or DR 10/Magic +3 for something really powerful.

Otherwise, once someone has an enhancement bonus on a weapon, no one is going to bother enchanting anything up to a +2 anymore... we'll just have +1 flaming lawful holy blades and +1 this and +1 that.

Is it really just going to be flat out DR 5/Magic??

Yep- DR xx/magic. Flat (according to Dragon). There is no more DR xx/+y. Enhancement bonuses have been lumped into one category with regards to DR.

But- certain monsters are getting an "upgrade" on DR. For example, some monster might have "DR 10/holy" which means you MUST have a holy weapon to hit it. You can smash the monster all day with your +5 longsword, but unless its "holy" you still havent bypassed its DR and are subject to it.

Remove ads