• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Damage Rduction Rules - am i missing something?

Olive

Explorer
This is my understanding: that creatures will have damage reduction in 3.5 that looks like this "DR 15/holy silver" (taken from the new Pit Fiend stats).

This means that the pitfiend shrugs off the first 15 points of damage, unless the weapon being wielded agaisnt it is made from holy silver.

Am I wrong in thinking that this is simply a trick to extend the blood war? presumably a fiend can't wield a holy silver weapon, so fiends are going to find killing each other really hard.

I don't have a problem with this, but it seems the ecology just got a bit wackier.

Am I wrong about this? Am I missing something?

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Re

Maybe they will still use the rule that the same type of damage reduction will allow creatures to strike each other. Maybe both demons and devils have "#/Holy Silver" damage reduction and will be able to strike each other still.

I can't wait to see how long fights last against fiends now that they will be difficult to hurt. I was sick of seeing fiends hacked down in 2 or 3 rounds.

med stud

First Post
It might be holy weapons and silver weapons, in which case the fiends have good reasons to conquer prime material planes for their silver deposits; and DR may work like 3e DR so that a creature with DR X can use that to hit another creature with DR X with it's natural attacks :-/

kreynolds

First Post
Olive said:
Am I missing something?

Just the damage that the revised pit fiend can dish out...

Full Attack: 2 claws +30 melee (2d8+14) [average 22 per hit] and 2 wings +28 melee (2d6+7) [average 13 per hit] and bite +28 (4d6+7 and poison and disease) [average 19 per hit + disease] melee and tail slap +28 melee (2d8+7) [average 15]

...I don't think he'll have much of a problem dealing more than 15 points of damage. On average, he can at least deal that much. Besides, even if he does have a hard time, he can always use Power Attack. But, this is really only a concern is he's in a fight with another creature as powerful as him, such as a Balor, but that's how it should be. In the end, he'll have a somewhat difficult time with a Balor, but he'll probably mop up lesser Demons.

But, like others have said, there might still be some kind of mechanic that allows a creature with DR to bypass another creature's DR. Lord only knows how that would work with DR like this though.

Grog

First Post
Re: Re: [3.5] Damage Rduction Rules - am i missing something?

kreynolds said:
Just the damage that the revised pit fiend can dish out...

...I don't think he'll have much of a problem dealing more than 15 points of damage. On average, he can at least deal that much.

Yes, but if he's fighting something else with DR 15, 15 damege = 0 damage. Against a creature with DR 15, he'd do an average of 18 damage per round (14 from claws and 4 from bite). How long would it take to kill a powerful fiend with that kind of damage?

Cloudgatherer

First Post
I think I've completely missed this part of 3.5. Someone want to explain to me the new damage reduction system (or provide a good link)? Thanks!

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Re: Re: [3.5] Damage Rduction Rules - am i missing something?

Grog said:
Yes, but if he's fighting something else with DR 15, 15 damege = 0 damage.

Right. I know. I know because I said that.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Cloudgatherer said:
I think I've completely missed this part of 3.5. Someone want to explain to me the new damage reduction system (or provide a good link)? Thanks!

http://www.enworld.org/modules.php?...ns&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=37&page=1

Either that or Dragon Mag.

In short: the DR Blah!/+3 Stuff will go away, that will be DR Blah!/Magic (or /Epic, if it's +6 or more, but that's not for the core rules). Also, there will be other descriptors, like /holy, /silver, /adamantine /alignment. In order to overcome that, you have to have the genuine article, magic won't be a substitute anymore. So while a +1 weapon overcomes DR /silver in 3e, you now need a real silver weapon. It's also possible that you need A OR B, or A AND B to hurt certain foes.
There will be spells to bless weapons (making it holy), weapons to align weapons (so you have a lawful weapon), but for the materials, there won't be any spells.
The amount of DR will go down. DR 5 or 10 will be common, DR 15 will be much, and DR 20 will be unheard-of.

So all in all: DR will be harder to circumvent, but easier to overcome.

Paladin

Explorer
3.5 Stoneskin & DR...

I wonder what's going to happen with stoneskin in 3.5? If it grants DR 10/magic, that neuters it greatly considering now it takes a +5 weapon to overcome the spell. The next category up would be DR 10/Epic, but that would make stoneskin more powerful than it currently is, so will that incorporate a level change for the spell?

Remove ads