[3.5] Destroy Lorwyn! (Evil Campaign) (Recruiting)

DuskDrake

First Post
Hello everyone. I'm new to these forums but not new to DnD or even PbP games. I've had experience over at Giant in the Playground forums but from what I've seen so far of these forums, I like the playerbase here more.

I would like to start a PbP game over here. It's a homebrew campaign that I've been successfully running for some RL friends (4 sessions so far) and was hoping to try it on the forums too.

I'll start off with relevant backstory, then move onto gameplay:

You're members of a nation called The Chosen. The leaders of this nation comprise mostly of undead, fiends, and other malevolent creatures. Ten years ago marks the end of a long and bloody global war on your planet, Gilt, which left The Chosen as the supreme and uncontested rulers of the entire world. Twp years ago, The Chosen crushed one of the final outposts of a small resistance movement, where they discovered a mysterious relic.

This relic, now called a Gate, was studied by the head mages until they discovered its function. The Gate connects the world of Gilt with another Gate on a planet called Azhara. The Chosen is eager to conquer this world as well. After secretly scouting the continent that hosts Azhara's Gate, the head of The Chosen, called The Ghost Council, have decided that the time has come to start the invasion.

The Ghost Council says that it has not yet fully recovered from the war and needs more time to mobilize more troops for a full-out invasion. However, they want to go ahead and secure the continent that holds Azhara's Gate before the main army moves in. They have elected their strongest military leader, a fiend named Chandra, to lead a small strike force to accomplish this mission. Chandra is the uncontested military genius of the entire nation and has led The Chosen to countless victories in the war. If anyone can conquer an entire continent with a small force, she can.

That's where you come in. You're Chandra's elite unit and most trusted generals. You will be accompanying Chandra and her couple hundred troops to Azhara and must help her conquer the continent.

((I've written a silly amount of backstory so this is a snippet. Feel free to ask any questions to get a better feel for things. Some information will only be available in the campaign of course.))

Now for the crunch:
- Level 5
- 32 point buy, max hp at first level and average hp for the rest
- standard WBL
- must be non-good
- you can be chaotic, but keep in mind that you're elite generals, if you start killing party members or flagrantly disobey orders, there may be consequences
- Every WOTC 3.5 book is allowed. I unfortunately don't have Dragon Magazine so would prefer nothing from there.

Houserules:

Skill Consolidation:
Balance/Escape Artist/Tumble = Acrobatics (Dex)
Climb/Swim/Jump = Athletics (Str) (provides synergy bonus to Acrobatics)
Spot/Listen = Perception (Wis)
Hide/Move Silently = Stealth (Dex)
Open Lock/Disable Device = Thievery (Int)

Iron Heart Surge is purely a mental action, and has reasonable limits. A charmed/dominated character with IHS ready can make an additional will save at their first action; if it succeeds, they automatically use IHS that action to surge away the charm/domination.
Each character may be affected by White Raven Tactics once per encounter. It does not work on yourself.

No flaws/traits
LA Buyoff
Intimidate functions off Strength or Charisma, whichever is higher.
Alter Self/Polymorph/Shapechange/Polymorph Any Object/Metamorphosis/Greater Metamorphosis do not exist. (monsters retain these abilities if they normally have them though)
Detect Magic does not work on creatures you can't see.
Orb spells are Evocation.
Intelligent undead aren't immune to mind-affecting.
Factotum's Cunning Surge limited to one extra standard action per round.
Cunning Strike adds 2d6, but does not stack with itself.
Unarmed Swordsage exists. AC Bonus works unarmored and does not stack with monk.
Swordsage gets Adaptive Style at 3rd level.
Sorcerer gets Eschew Materials at 1st level, and a bonus Sudden Metamagic, Reserve, or Heritage feat at 5th, 10th, 15th, and 20th.
Shapeshifter druids only. You can spend a feat to regain animal companion.
Paladin spellcasting is solely based on Cha.
Paladins get bonus feats at levels 5, 10, 15, and 20. These may be any paladin-specific feats (like Battle Blessing or Improved Smiting), Divine Feats, or Domain Feats.
No Divine Metamagic.
Nightsticks does not stack with itself.
Divine Power only exists in War Domain.
Weapon Finesse has no BAB requirement.

You start with 4 extra skill points to spend on Craft, Profession, and Perform skills related to your backstory. These shouldn't have obvious mechanical benefits (that means you, would-be Fatespinners and Bards!). You may treat these as class skills for this purpose only.

Stinky cheese will be struck down with unavoidable, unmitigated lightning.

I'll make a strong effort to post at least once per day and will try and notify the group ahead of time if I'm taking an extended break fro whatever reason. I'd prefer players to post on average once per day. If a character is inactive for a couple days and is holding back the group, I'll try my best to pilot him in a smart and logical manner.

That covers it, I think.. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Oh, and any tips on how to navigate these forums would be good! :D

Last edited:

Theroc

First Post
Interested, my PC crapped out again so I won't be able to spend much time until around monday, but I intend to be able to post at least once every other day (generally) once chargen is complete. Not sure what I want to play just yet though.

FIrst question: Are these names inspired by Magic: The Gathering?

Lorwyn is a card set from that game as well as a world/plane, and Chandra is a M:TG Planeswalker(Mage supreme sorta dealy). Or are the names coincidence?

DuskDrake

First Post
Yeah, I'm a big fan of MTG and lifted some names from there but there's no further connection. However, the elves that you will be encountering do share some similarities to the ones found in Lorwyn.

Hmm, expected more interest to show up by now.

Rikandur Azebol

First Post
Generals ? Alvays wanted to try ... how it will work with non-humans ? For example, one might wish to became some sort of uberfiend.

Here is example, Quasit who suffered so much headstrikes that he went crazy and decided to stick with something else. Now fancing himself a civilised demon. Only problem here could be reduction of initial HD to 2, to fit in ECL. Otherwise everything's good.

Now imagine small demon-gnat, with Napoleon's hat bigger than himself and enough medals to craft him full plate. ;)

Other could be Ogre philosopher. I mean, fighter. Not barbarian.:]

Theroc

First Post
If the Chosen are undead/fiends, does that leave a predilection towards their followers doing/being the same?

In otherwords, would you encourage 'fiendish' things or things like the Undead classes in the Libre Mortis, or is that meant to separate the Chosen from the PC's?

I am considering a Half-Dragon something. Not sure on what it'd be. Probably some form of martial/caster hybrid. Will need to think on it.

DuskDrake

First Post
Being a fiendish / undead creature is perfectly acceptable but you're not limited to them. Gilt has conquered and assimilated an entire world of diverse races, most turned into slaves but those that display the evil characteristics to fit in such a society are given citizenship. They'd likely start at the bottom of the hierarchy and have to work their way up though, likely through promotions during previous wars. You could find most anything there.

For example, the RL group that I'm running this for consists of a bloodthirsty human barbarian who doesn't care who he serves as long as he can kill, a halfling rogue that betrayed his kin to live, a drow (elf race but we changed the fluff) prince who is used to pacify his kin, and a human favored soul of nerull who gladly killed his village to get a chance to join a more worthy cause.

That said, I don't mind templates or monstrous races at all, and they probably would add to the coolness of the group. I'd need someone to point me to the rules of how to make monsters into characters though. We'll use Unearthed Arcana's LA Buyoff variant over here.

Last edited:

Theroc

First Post
Basically, in the case of a Half-Dragon, they would would have all the benefits of that template (Except the D12 HD are meaningless unless I took a race with HD), and count as a Class level + 3(Level Adjustment) character.

So, said character would have the Half-dragon template, but otherwise be a level two character until the LA is bought off. I forget where the actual specifics are though.

Rikandur Azebol

First Post
How to make monsters into characters ? I just look into MM and seek LA, add it to HD to get total level and then go on from there. Beforementioned Quasit demon, perhaps cheapest one avaible, is in it's natural state ECL 6 critter with 3 racial HD. Treat their stats as average, and get from them stat bonuses. Quasit have racial -2 Str, +6 Dex and +2 Wis.

By the way ... is there possibility of advancement for our little uglies ? By racial HD, that is.

Thus if You allow me to play demonling, I would use Quasit that was level drained by some Wight and reduced to 2 HD.

Rainmar

First Post
DM, could I use Heroes of Horror handbook? I intend to use a Dread Necromancer from there to create a necrotech technician, creator of unded war machines. I take we will be conquering some fortified cities and stuff so this might really help the cause. :angel:

Remove ads