D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Enlarge Person item cost?

Kershek

Sci-Fi Newshound
What would the cost be for the following item:

Shirt of Enlarge Person. Command-word activated, CL 1, usable once per day.

Would the same shirt cost x5 to be usable an unlimited amount of times?

kreynolds

First Post
Well, a potion of Enlarge Person is 250, which would give you 5 minutes, being at caster level 5th. I only mention this to establish a precedent of such an item existing in the first place.

So, a command-word activated item, unlimited charges, but only useable 1/day would use the formula: 1 x 1 x 1,800 / 5. Now, without slapping on an item slot affinity penalty on there (which may or may not be warranted), that'd be 360 for only 1 minute, or 10 rounds, per day.

Let's compare...

250 gets you: single use, 5 minutes (50 rounds).
360 gets you: 1/day, 1 minute (10 rounds).

I guess that's about right. Round it up to an even 500 if it bugs you.

Technik4

First Post
I agree with kreynolds except that I would add a body affinity cost (x2) since a shirt doesn't take up any space and there are few items that use the "shirt" slot. This is despite the fact that the Shirt slot has an affinity for Physical Improvement, which Enlarge certainly qualifies for. The fact is there are few adventurers with shirts, so it might as well be considered "not using a slot" which incurs a x2 cost modifier.

According to pg 214 DMG 3.5 "One shirt, vest, or vestment on the torso" is a valid slot, but imo rarely used by anyone.

While it may be a nice trick to get this effect all day, it would use a different formula (I think). I would use "Use-Activated or Continuous" which is SLxCLx2,000gp. So a shirt of enlargement would cost 1x1x2,000 and according to the footnote, since this is a minute per level duration spell the cost is multiplied by 2.

However, 4,000 gp is not the answer I would give my PCs, since the DMG urges me to compare it to existing magic items. I can see that Gauntlets of Ogre Power provide a +2 enhancement to Str for 4,000 without giving reach or other natural benefits of Large Size. However, gauntlets of ogre power also don't come with a -2 Dex penalty, and a -1 penalty to attack (which is -2 total for ranged attacks), not to mention a -1 to AC.

The fact remains that these magical items stack, so one could get +4 Str for a mere 8,000 gp by wearing the gauntlets and the shirt. I would raise the shirt's price by 2, as if it were not taking up a slot (it is taking a slot, but not a commonly used slot). In this way it would cost 8,000 gp to be enlarged all day (although I would rule that none of your equipment except items you are holding while putting on the shirt get enlarged. So other wondrous items, rings, etc - yes, but weapons and armor - no).

Looking to see if my shirt matches up with magic items of that cost (8,000gp) I see ioun stones that add +2 to an ability score are common, as well as some more obscure items. Its not as expensive as a Belt of Giant Strength (which would grant a +4 Str), but neither is it (strictly speaking) as powerful. Especially with the detriment that armor and weapons do not resize to their wielder, I think it would be balanced as a continous item at 8,000 gp.

I think a "Greater Shirt of Enlargement" could work by giving +2 Str, but none of the negatives, as well as allowing weapons and armor to resize, but it would be significantly more expensive.

So, to recap:

Shirt of Enlarge 1/day - 1 minute (10 rounds) 720 gp
Shirt of Enlargement - Continuous Use (does not enlarge weapons or armor) 8,000 gp

Technik

Kershek

Sci-Fi Newshound
This item is meant for a monk, so he wouldn't be wearing anything for armor anyways. I didn't see an armor "slot" in the affinities table, so I don't know where else it would go and not get a premium price as suggested by Technik4. I don't want it to use a cloak spot because that will be needed for the cloak of resistance. A vest slot will be saved for "Armor of Healing" from a recent Dragon magazine. The belt slot, another physical improvement affinity, will be for the Monk's Belt, of course.

Do you still see it as a premium price for a shirt? If so, where would you put it? Also, I'm talking about a command-word activated item, not a use-activated. I don't want him walking around Large unless he says "hulk smash" or whatever his command word is :) Even so, it will only do it for 10 rounds and then he'd have to say the command word again.

Technik4

First Post
Well keep in mind, the slot doesn't make "too" much difference. Body Affinty at most doubles the cost (see Boots of Teleportation vs Helm of Teleportation). In any case if you wear a vest and a shirt only one can be active, perhaps your DM will rule that while you are using the shirt the vest won't be used, but then after the shirt has worn off the vest automatically turns back on.

Technik

Technik4

First Post
Well you can, and by the rules a shirt of enlarge would not incur a body affinity slot cost (since shirt specifically says "physical improvement"). My point was that because shirts in general are so rare, its almost as good as an ioun stone of enlarge since its unlikely a PC will use that slot for anything else.

However if your campaign is littered with vests, shirts, and such then I suppose it would not be much of a problem, and the cost would be 360 gp as kreynolds stated above.

Technik

kreynolds

First Post
Technik4 said:
Body Affinty at most doubles the cost (see Boots of Teleportation vs Helm of Teleportation).

Only 50% (boots, 49000; helm, 73500).

I agree with Technik4 about the shirt affinity, but only to a small degree. My games see a fair amount of use for each and every slot. Not a single slot is rare or neglected. They all get used roughly an equal amount. With that said, I wouldn't apply an affinity slot penalty to such a shirt in any of my games.

However, if your games are of the type where you, as a DM, a fairly restrictive in regards to new magic items, and you're restrictive about shirt slots, then I could understand such a penalty.

reapersaurus

Explorer
Just to be clear:
an extra cost based on rarity of shirt slot is a House Rule.

By the rules, kreynolds figures are the ones to use.
Anything else is your DM's call.

Remove ads