3.5 Fans - Wassup!?!?!

Betote

First Post
DMing 4E and 3.5 ... will take a shot on Pathfinder on the future but, except for the fluff, I don't think I'll be going 3.75... unless they have a 4E like grapple :p

Well, you should take a look at the CMB rules then ;)

It simplifies a lot grapple, sunder, disarm, trip and even makes room for winging new maneuvers on the spot. I really feel this, and the skill point simplification, are the greatest improvements Pathfinder made to the game.

delericho

Legend
For those of you who are staying and enjoying 3.5 (or playing both 4E and 3.5) - what are you currently playing in 3.5

Nothing at the moment. We won't be gaming again until 2009, due to scheduling conflicts. When we do get back, we'll be playing Star Wars Saga for a while, before returning to 3.5e for the "Curse of the Crimson Throne" adventure path.

There are still a bunch of campaigns (published and homebrew) that I want to run for 3.5e.

and what are your thoughts regarding the Pathfinder Beta?

Are you going to go whole cloth with Pathfinder or just take whatever you want from it and ignore the rest (or ignore it compeltely)?

I haven't been keeping up with the Pathfinder discussions. I'll take a look once it is complete. I very much doubt they will have fixed the underlying problems with 3.5e (since I don't think that's possible while maintaining backwards compatibility), and so I don't see any great advantage to it. That said, we'll probably end up converting anyway, if only to make using the Pathfinder Adventure Paths that much easier in the future.

Finally, what loot have you picked up due to the massive sales that have occured with 3.5 stuff?

Nothing. The only 3.5 materials I have bought recently are some of the Pathfinder setting books (and the adventure path product, for which I have a subscription). With the possible exception of "Weapons of Legacy", I now have everything I want for 3.5e.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
We never stopped with 3e and its variants. 4e failed to be more than a minor blip on our gaming radar.

We have almost entirely adopted Pathfinder as our ruleset of choice. It remains largely compatible with 3e and makes for a much smoother, faster game. I also incorporate elements from Arcana Evolved, Monte's BoXM and Conan d20 into my games as well.

At present I'm using these rules to run a homebrew campaign and a Dark Sun game, and playing intermittently in another homebrew pickup game run by one of my players. Another player runs a hombrew that has just switched over to Pathfinder. We're certainly feeling the Paizo love in our group right now :)

Jhaelen

First Post
For those of you who are staying and enjoying 3.5 (or playing both 4E and 3.5) - what are you currently playing in 3.5 (published adventure or homebrew), and what are your thoughts regarding the Pathfinder Beta?
I'm still running my 3E homebrew campaign (in its 5th year now) which probably won't be finished for another year or so. So I've not yet started playing 4E. The party's ECL is about 13-14 right now.
Are you going to go whole cloth with Pathfinder or just take whatever you want from it and ignore the rest (or ignore it compeltely)?
I'm not interested in the Pathfinder RPG at all.
Once my current campaign is done, I'll either start playing 4E (which I'd prefer) or start a 3E SCAP campaign (which is apparently what my players would prefer).
Finally, what loot have you picked up due to the massive sales that have occured with 3.5 stuff?
Almost none, several of my players started buying pretty much everything, though. The only thing I bought after 4E was released was 'Lords of Madness' because I could no longer justify to myself not having it even though my campaign centers on mind-flayers ;)

Orryn Emrys

Explorer
We're still 3.5 players, though I was inspired by material from from 4E and from Pathfinder and have since implemented a number of house-rules, on a trial basis. So far, it's been fun. A few of us bought the 4E core books this summer and we played about a half a dozen sessions, and it was fun. But there were too many aspects of 4th that weren't compatible with our interests. Some of the ideas, however... ;)

We're currently just into the 4th adventure of the War of the Burning Sky... which is far too good not to finish as is.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Not currently playing much (life just too busy), but it's a one-player 3.5 campaign when I get a chance. That'll go into the indefinite future as 3.5, but any new campaigns I start will likely at least try the Pathfinder rules. I already ran a one-shot with Pathfinder alpha, which went pretty well.

Most of my D&D time is spent in the Creature Catalog forums. We're still trying to update all previous edition monsters to 3.X (I think probably just about 1000 left!) (and slowly updating the 3.0 conversions to 3.5). There's a possibility to switch conversion efforts to Pathfinder once the final rules are out, though.

Stormtower

First Post
I'm running more and more 3.5, and less 4E, as the months roll on past the initial buzz of 4E's release. With the economy as it is, I can't afford to subscribe to DDI or keep up with the release schedule of 4E splats, and I am hesitant to hop back on that purchasing treadmill. This, combined with the end of Living Greyhawk and the ill-conceived (IMO) moving of DDXP from Arlington, VA (my backyard) to Fort Wayne, IN probably signals the end of my involvement in the RPGA for the time being. I remain merely lukewarm to 4E, despite its innovations at making the game easier to run, and it has failed to capture the attention of my home group.

I have dived back into my homebrew, Gaia's Dream, with both feet. Last year saw the end of two highly successful branches of that campaign (see the wiki logs for details in my .sig if you're interested), and the "Azarr Kul's Ambition" PCs from my combined Slaughtergarde/RHoD branch are now back at it with a vengeance, having acquired lands and titles in the Valley of Obelisks and the Elsir Vale.

I filled out my collection of Dungeon Crawl Classics and ran a horribly bloody, tragic and dark campaign in Goodman's World of Aereth (DCC 1, 26, 5, 18 were the featured adventures) from Feb 08 through Sept 08, which ended in a near-TPK and utter failure on the part of the heroes. Good times!

I intend to run Gaia's Dream for years to come, as that campaign has always been envisioned by me as a 3x3x3 complete story arc. The last campaign, "Falling Stars, Rising Hope" effectively signaled the end of the first 3 chapters of the story.

From time to time, I intend to take time off from Gaia's Dream to run DCCs and other Core-only, old-school stuff such as Rappan Athuk Reloaded (insert evil laugh and Abyssal prayer to Orcus here), as well as the Pathfinder adventure paths. I will not be converting to the PFRPG, but will continue to subscribe to the modules and adventure paths as I have come to enjoy reading about Golarion and have always loved Paizo's stuff. I just don't need the rules tweaks of Pathfinder to "fix" my 3.5E.

Were I employed at the moment, I'd certainly still be keeping up with 4E as I pledge one year of support to the new system in order to hedge my bets. However, I'm not in a position to keep up with WotC's aggressive release schedule and don't personally feel that DDI is worth the money (not that I have it to spend at the moment, irregardless).

Psion

Adventurer
For those of you who are staying and enjoying 3.5 (or playing both 4E and 3.5) - what are you currently playing in 3.5 (published adventure or homebrew), and what are your thoughts regarding the Pathfinder Beta?

At the game table, I'm playing a 3.5 game in Rappan Athuk
Last session, I took up the DM chair again, and ran an adventure from Goodman Games' The Adventure Continues. I may run another DCC this week (probably Curse of the Emerald Cobra).

Online, I'm running a City of Brass (NG) PbP game that's currently in an introductory layer of my own design (but with the guts pulled out of En Route II)

That's tough. I'm not sure yet. I REALLY like the way they handle skills; it's a nice compromise and de-complicates qualifying for prestige classes. I also like the way they handle classes, but unless it light's my players' fire, there's really no point in transitioning.

Outside of the Green Ronin sale that happened a while back, not as much as you might think. I did hit the Goodman Games 50% of sale, and got Castle Whiterock, DCC 51.5, the complete guides to t-rex and velociraptor, and wicked fantasy factory #2 (after some recommendations here.) I didn't realize how cool the WFF's were. They came in a little late and flew in under my radar.

Many of the books I am seeking went UP in price instead of down (WoW RPG Monster Guide and Horde Players' Guide being cheif among them.)

Last edited:

Vascant

Wanderer of the Underdark
I run 3 different groups, 2 are currently involved in homebrew (kind of quests of the players making) and 1 is heading into the final stretch of Savage Tide. I looked at Pathfinder when it first started but I gave up trying to keep up with the massive posts regarding it. It is far to incomplete for me to make a decision on if I like it or not though.
I buy everything else they sell, why not that... I also own AE and have just taken rules I like and toss the rest so I expect the same here as well. A group of us are talking about creating our own PHB for not only existing players but also new players.
Here I have managed to be very lucky, I already owned about everything but did find two estate auctions with RPG stuff. I purchased 2400 gaming books for $45.

Remove ads