D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Fly?

Artoomis

First Post
Anabstercorian said:
Overland Fly is really better as a defensive spell. For one hour per level, you may start each combat by raising yourself twenty feet in to the air, nicely out of melee range of all but the tallest foes. Even the tallest won't be able to reach you 40 feet in the air with anything but missile weapons.

In 3.5, Fly only lasts 1 min/level, and only gives you 2/3 the speed it used to.

But keep in mind that Overland Fly is maneuverability: Poor, right?. This means no hovering!

If flying is still the same (I haven't got my new books yet - they are in the mail), poor flying must maintain a 1/2 move rate, can only climb at 45 degrees at half speed, cannot turn in place, requires 5 feet to turn 45 degrees and needs 10 feet between up and down movement.

It's not good for combat except for fly-by type attacks.

Books in hand, answering questions here right now.

Fly: Sor/Wiz 3, 60' speed, good (hover, turn 90/5', up/down angle any) maneuverability, 1 min/level.

Overland Flight: Sor/Wiz 5, 40' speed, average (No hover, turn 45/5', max turn 90, up angle 60, up speed half) maneuverability, 1 hour/level

anon

First Post
4th level

I don't have the new books yet, but it seems to me that Overland Flight might be fine as a 4th level spell. I nice alternate/early version of Teleport. Otherwise as others have mentioned why bother, just Teleport...

Remove ads