D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Fly?

sithramir

First Post
I believe third (1 min/level) and 5th (1 hour/level).

They needed to be lower speed. It was a bit overpowerful for anyone who gained a fly spell to suddenly at least triple their speed. Fly on that full plate paladin is ugly ugly.

A lot of people don't like it and neither do I but I feel its more balanced and accept it even though I don't like it

Destil

Explorer
Personally I think overland flight is completly pathetic compaired to telleport (also 5th level). The lower speed of fly dosn't bother me, though the duration does.

Certinally something I'm not using. In my game I think I'll stick to this:

Fly Speed (40/20) Good 10 minuits/level
Overland Flight Speed (100/60) Poor, 1 hour/level, 1 target/level

Last edited:

James McMurray

First Post
Overland Flight is only weaker if you have a good idea about where you're going. if you're trying to get somewhere you've never been, Teleport won't do you much good.

Destil

Explorer
James McMurray said:
Overland Flight is only weaker if you have a good idea about where you're going. if you're trying to get somewhere you've never been, Teleport won't do you much good.
And if you want to bring anyone else along overland flight is useless. For the two to be roughly equal they need to both have similar capabilities, IMHO. The balance is going somewhere you've never gone vs. instant and safe transport. Again unless teleport is limited to self only this is not a spell fo the same level.

Fenes 2

First Post
Overland flight does not bother me much - I banned such travel spells, especially teleport long ago.

The new fly may see some use now, with its shortened duration, but I am not sure - I hate fights that are basically dogfights between stealth-fighters on afterburner, with everyone and their mother flying around with improved invisible on them.

wolfen

First Post
All depends on the DM and the situation.

In simplistic terms, I can "teleport" from NY to LA, but that doesn't let me (A) notice the traffic jam in Memphis or (B) warn anyone who might care about it.

If I wanted someone to assess the forces of a castle I had never seen, or an enemies' battle force several miles away Overland Flight is the way to go. You can yelp about alternative methods, but Overland Flight is the easiest solution. An invisible night-time flying scout is about as good as it gets.

Likewise, teleport doesn't let me drag a rope across a river or up a tower. It doesn't let me track a dragon in flight or spray my enemies from above with a Fireball Wand. The top of a cloud-covered mountain scorns the Teleportable Wizard. "I dare you to pick a safe spot!" A smart DM will recognize the strengths and limits of any spell and create an engaging challenge, accordingly.

Just my 2cts.

wolfen

Anabstercorian

First Post
Overland Fly is really better as a defensive spell. For one hour per level, you may start each combat by raising yourself twenty feet in to the air, nicely out of melee range of all but the tallest foes. Even the tallest won't be able to reach you 40 feet in the air with anything but missile weapons.

In 3.5, Fly only lasts 1 min/level, and only gives you 2/3 the speed it used to.

Dimwhit

Explorer
So it gives 60' movement? I keep reading 40' in this topic, but it used to be 90', right?

I use Winged Boots, so all it really does is cut down my totally movement, right? Maybe they changed other things with the boots. I can live with less speed, so I never thought 90' was too much. Of course, I feel that way about most of the rules from 3.0 that are being changed...

Remove ads