D&D 3E/3.5 3E/3.5 collecting

I've been collecting various D&D editions. Recently I decided to start looking at 3.0. I played very little during this era. I feel like I missed out seeing all the material that was released for this edition (3e/3.5). I just bought a first printing of the 3.0 PHB, the book is in great condition. I noticed in the very back of the book there is a DMG/Monster Manual primer. I never knew this was included in the phbs. I owned a copy back when it was current but I don't believe it was a first print run. I don't recall seeing this small section in my copy.

What are some other jewls to pick up from this era of D&D to add to my collection?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I'm only a few books shy of having everything WotC made for 3.0 and 3.5 (and getting closer to completion all the time), and there's a lot of great content if you know where to look.

Unearthed Arcana had a lot of interesting variations on particular rules, and could really change up how the game played depending on which of them you implemented.

The Magic Item Compendium was a sea-change on the pricing guidelines for magic items (although the fact that it needed over a half-dozen pages of errata, mostly to fix the new prices, didn't help), for the better in my opinion.

The Rules Compendium was an easy-to-use reference for managing various aspects of running the game.

The Stronghold Builder's Guidebook is a gem for how many options it allows for in terms of building zany, over-the-top magical fortresses. While it never addressed the issue of PCs not being able to afford most of what was there (i.e. if you spent your level-appropriate gp on a fortress, you wouldn't have the magic items necessary to face appropriate encounters), but for a GM looking to build his NPCs a powerful stronghold, it's invaluable.

The Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting is easily the single best take on that campaign world before or since.

There are a lot more; those are just off the top of my head.

R_J_K75

Legend
Kenzer and Company kingdoms of Kalamar Goods and Gear used the 3.0 rules and is probably one of the most comprehensive books on weapons and gear, among other things for 3.0/3.5. I highly recommend it if you can find it but its long out of print so probably pretty expensive.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Kenzer and Company kingdoms of Kalamar Goods and Gear used the 3.0 rules and is probably one of the most comprehensive books on weapons and gear, among other things for 3.0/3.5. I highly recommend it if you can find it but its long out of print so probably pretty expensive.
I didn't mention Kenzer's stuff because I wasn't sure if licensed materials were part of the OP's request, but Goods and Gear is perhaps the single best equipment book for 3.X. Focused entirely on non-magical goods and services, and having much more than just weapons, armor, and adventuring tools, it really sets a standard.

The PDF of it is available on DriveThruRPG (affiliate link), but if you want it in print, my recommendation is to use the POD option over on Lulu.com.

R_J_K75

Legend
The Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting is easily the single best take on that campaign world before or since.
@MockingBird Yes this book is probably the best iteration of a FR campaign book. I read this book cover to cover and large portions of it on other occasions. This was around the time I stopped reading entire books like I did in the 2E days. The 3E City of Splendors books was pretty good too, albeit there were many paragraphs cut-N-pasted from 1E and 2E versions of the source material, but this was common for FR back then.

I played 3.0 when it came out, loved it and I will say it was a definite step forward in game design, but it was very crunchy. I played in a 3.5 game for a session or three about 2018. I ran into a friend of mine I used to game with, and one thing led to another, and I found myself sitting in my house making a character. I felt like I needed a slide rule, a compass and a telescope to make a character. It was such an arduous task I needed some Pedialyte after. Its not a system I would like to play again, though I did keep some of my books for reference. Alot of bloat crept in, and iirc Dragon and Dungeon were still around in print back then, (By Paizo) so that didnt help. Im not saying its a bad system or trying to discourage anyone from playing it but just sharing my opinion on it which is...it had its place in the annals of D&D history, it was 5E on Performance Enhancing Drugs. I think its main downfall was it put to the power in the hands of the players by quantifying almost any rule you could want, which is something 5E smartly got away from. I digress....

Heroes of Horror was cool too, as was Minds of Madness? think that's the name. 3.x had a lot of very succinctly themed books so I would caution to be selective of what you buy from that era depending on what you like in your game.

@MockingBird Yes this book is probably the best iteration of a FR campaign book. I read this book cover to cover and large portions of it on other occasions. This was around the time I stopped reading entire books like I did in the 2E days. The 3E City of Splendors books was pretty good too, albeit there were many paragraphs cut-N-pasted from 1E and 2E versions of the source material, but this was common for FR back then.

I played 3.0 when it came out, loved it and I will say it was a definite step forward in game design, but it was very crunchy. I played in a 3.5 game for a session or three about 2018. I ran into a friend of mine I used to game with, and one thing led to another, and I found myself sitting in my house making a character. I felt like I needed a slide rule, a compass and a telescope to make a character. It was such an arduous task I needed some Pedialyte after. Its not a system I would like to play again, though I did keep some of my books for reference. Alot of bloat crept in, and iirc Dragon and Dungeon were still around in print back then, (By Paizo) so that didnt help. Im not saying its a bad system or trying to discourage anyone from playing it but just sharing my opinion on it which is...it had its place in the annals of D&D history, it was 5E on Performance Enhancing Drugs. I think its main downfall was it put to the power in the hands of the players by quantifying almost any rule you could want, which is something 5E smartly got away from. I digress....

Heroes of Horror was cool too, as was Minds of Madness? think that's the name. 3.x had a lot of very succinctly themed books so I would caution to be selective of what you buy from that era depending on what you like in your game.
Yeah, I remember when the 3.0 FR book came out. I vividly remember standing in the book store looking through it. I have the 2e grey box so I was fairly familiar with FR. I have regretted not buying that book then for a long time. Thankfully I just found a copy in pretty good condition with the map on ebay and went ahead and bought it. I hate I missed out on 3.0. Like I mentioned up thread I did get to play a couple games but that group just fizzled out. That and I was busy working, having a girlfriend, and just trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my life and career. Seemed like a really good time to be a D&D fan. I would occasionally stop by the bookstore and just be amazed at all the RPG books available. Especially coming from a time when (in my area and TSR was in trouble) I might find one or two odd 2e books on the shelf.

GuyBoy

Hero
I don’t know whether you’re after adventures as well as crunch and settings, but there were some great ones IMO, including but not limited to;
Rappan Athuk
Crucible of Freya
Tomb of Abysthor
Red Hand of Doom
3e version of Caverns of Thracia

R_J_K75

Legend
I hate I missed out on 3.0. Like I mentioned up thread I did get to play a couple games but that group just fizzled out. That and I was busy working, having a girlfriend, and just trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my life and career. Seemed like a really good time to be a D&D fan.
As much as 3rd Edition moved the game forward mechanics wise I don't remember actual game play being better. It was still slow and clunky at times. The d20 system made things easier but not really better

Remove ads