D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5]Frenzied Berserker

Ripper-nk

First Post
The new rules of power attacks make the Supreme Power Attack of the Frenzied Berserker hard to update.

My players want the Supreme Power Attack with a weapon two-handed adds 3 in damage per 1 reduced in BAB.

This is the closest solution for me too, but I think that's too powerfull, I want read more opinions!

PS: Sorry about my english fellows, but my english is poor heheheh :D.

the Jester

Legend
When I heard about the changes to Power Attack in 3.5, this was the first thing I thought of. "Hmmm... good thing there's no frenzied berserker in my game!"

I'm not entirely certain how to improve it- I think 3:1 is too good, maybe 5:2?

hong

WotC's bitch
I'd allow 3:1 Power Attack, but limit it to a standard action only. No full attacking silliness, IOW, but it'll be handy for the times when he needs to bust through DR.

And while you're at it, limit Deathless Frenzy to something more reasonable. Fighting on after taking 100,000 points of damage is just too much of a hit to verisimilitude, in addition to the balance issues.

Last edited:

Ripper-nk

First Post
hong said:
I'd allow 3:1 Power Attack, but limit it to a standard action only. No full attacking silliness, IOW, but it'll be handy for the times when he needs to bust through DR.

And while you're at it, limit Deathless Frenzy to something more reasonable. Fighting on after taking 100,000 points of damage is just too much of a hit to verisimilitude, in addition to the balance issues.

I like the your solution for supreme power attack.

But the deathless frenzy I can't see a better way. What about a maximum of half their HD negative?

Anabstercorian

First Post
The problem with Deathless Frenzy is that it kind of requires you to die in order to use it. Is there anyway we could get rid of the inevitable post-Frenzy death?

Witch Doctor

First Post
Anabstercorian said:
The problem with Deathless Frenzy is that it kind of requires you to die in order to use it. Is there anyway we could get rid of the inevitable post-Frenzy death?

Fortunate Fate from FR will do the trick. Basically, it's a contingency Heal spell set to go off right when you are about to die.

daTim

First Post
Here is how I would update the class. I never liked Deathless frenzy but I loved the class. Sometimes it is better to drop at negative hit points so you dont just die.

Improved Power Attack: When using power attack, you may apply double the bonus subtracted to damage when using a weapon one handed.

Supreme Power Attack: When using power attack, you may apply tripple the bonus subtracted to damage when using a weapon two handed.

Deathless Frenzy: While Frenzied, you gain an Immunity to all death effects and gain Fast Healing 5. You still die as normal when you reach -10 hit points.

Al

First Post
As we all know, DnD maths have the following paradigms:

1 x 2 x 1.5 = 2.5
1 x 2 x 2 = 3

:rolleyes:

So, Improved Power Attack would do 2.5x the attack penalty in bonus damage when used with a two-handed weapon; whilst Supreme Power Attack would do 3x the attack penalty in bonus damage. With one-handed weapons, it would presumably work as usual.

Remove ads