D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Half-Orcs and the double axe

Shader

First Post
Apologies if this is (a) too obvious for words and (b) covered elsewhere, but I've been looking for this and couldn't find it (penalties of not being able to afford the Search function :( )

I assume that by saying Half-Orcs have Orc Blood they avoid saying in the PHB that the Half-Orc can use the Orc Double Axe as a martial weapon?

Is this correct and the Half-Orc *can* use this as a martial weapon, or can't they?

Cheers!

Darklone

Huhm, he takes TWF then... and can use a double weapon at lvl1 barbarian. Kewl.

My players will hate it.

Last edited:

Gellion

First Post
I believe WOTC said they didnt, but if you are the DM. You can always Rule 0 it, so that they can.:D

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Shader said:
Apologies if this is (a) too obvious for words and (b) covered elsewhere, but I've been looking for this and couldn't find it (penalties of not being able to afford the Search function :( )

I assume that by saying Half-Orcs have Orc Blood they avoid saying in the PHB that the Half-Orc can use the Orc Double Axe as a martial weapon?

Is this correct and the Half-Orc *can* use this as a martial weapon, or can't they?

Cheers!

The 3.5 rules state that Orcs have weapon familiarity with the orcish double axe. Half-Orcs don't get this weapon familiarity.

The Orc Blood means that they are vulnerable to orc-bane weapons and (in theory) they can use things which are keyed especially to orcs.

Shader

First Post
Re: Re: [3.5] Half-Orcs and the double axe

Plane Sailing said:

The 3.5 rules state that Orcs have weapon familiarity with the orcish double axe. Half-Orcs don't get this weapon familiarity.

The Orc Blood means that they are vulnerable to orc-bane weapons and (in theory) they can use things which are keyed especially to orcs.

That seems VERY unfair and unbalanced, to let them take the negative side of the Orc Blood and not give them the racial bonus of a martial weapon!

And whereabouts in the PHB does it say that Orcs get the double axe familiarity, or is it DMG/MM?

Cheers.

Darklone

Well. I don't have the books yet, but IMC only halforcs raised by orcs would get anything like a Weapon Familiarity at all.

Shader

First Post
Yeah but then you're on dangerous ground because what about a dwarf who was raised by humans? Should he get Dwarven Waraxe as a racial weapon?

Darklone

Shader said:
Yeah but then you're on dangerous ground because what about a dwarf who was raised by humans? Should he get Dwarven Waraxe as a racial weapon?

Nope. Who should have taught him? I'd even think about removing his "racial" bonus against giants.

Shader

First Post
Spot on, IMO. Which is why I brought it up.

You shouldn't have "one rule for half the race, one rule for the other".

If a Half-Orc has Orc Blood for some things, he should have it for all... That includes the racial weapon, IMO.

Li Shenron

Legend
Shader said:
Spot on, IMO. Which is why I brought it up.

You shouldn't have "one rule for half the race, one rule for the other".

If a Half-Orc has Orc Blood for some things, he should have it for all... That includes the racial weapon, IMO.

By that reasoning, why not giving Half-Elves all the Elves' benefits? AFAIK the original meaning of Elf Blood and Orc Blood is -just- that the creature is considered an Elf/Orc in case of spells, magic items and such special stuff that works only (for good or bad) on members of that race. This is not changed in 3.5.

Besides, Weapon Familiarity sounds to me a cultural issue rather than a genetic issue (contrary to the "blood"); in which case, a DM could decide that someone raised by another race has its cultural benefits instead of his own race's.

Remove ads