D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Half-Orcs and the double axe

Shader

First Post
Li Shenron said:

By that reasoning, why not giving Half-Elves all the Elves' benefits? AFAIK the original meaning of Elf Blood and Orc Blood is -just- that the creature is considered an Elf/Orc in case of spells, magic items and such special stuff that works only (for good or bad) on members of that race. This is not changed in 3.5.

Besides, Weapon Familiarity sounds to me a cultural issue rather than a genetic issue (contrary to the "blood"); in which case, a DM could decide that someone raised by another race has its cultural benefits instead of his own race's.

I agree with you on the first point; maybe that was something that didn't come across so well in this debate :) I was simply implying the addition of a weapon familiarity, and somehow it got tied into the Blood. :)

But regarding your second point, that's fine by me, but they should at least mention that in the racial description... As it stands, groups who like to rule by the letter, as in the case of our group for example, will simply dismiss that as it's not canon.

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
Shader said:
But regarding your second point, that's fine by me, but they should at least mention that in the racial description... As it stands, groups who like to rule by the letter, as in the case of our group for example, will simply dismiss that as it's not canon.
Actually, it is.

In any case, why don't you give Half Orcs Daylight sensitivity while you are at it? Oh, and since they are half human as well, you should give them an extra feat and skill points too.

Pardon that quip, but 3.5 Half Orcs simply don't have Weapon Familiarity. However the 3.5 PHB (as the 3.0 PHB actually) does list a variant on members of one race growing up in a different society. You might want to look into those.

Rav

Shader

First Post
Ravellion said:
Actually, it is.

In any case, why don't you give Half Orcs Daylight sensitivity while you are at it? Oh, and since they are half human as well, you should give them an extra feat and skill points too.
You're funny. No, really.

Pardon that quip, but 3.5 Half Orcs simply don't have Weapon Familiarity. However the 3.5 PHB (as the 3.0 PHB actually) does list a variant on members of one race growing up in a different society. You might want to look into those.
Oops! I apologise, I honestly hadn't spotted it. Can you point out the page reference, please?

drnuncheon

Explorer
Ravellion said:
However the 3.5 PHB (as the 3.0 PHB actually) does list a variant on members of one race growing up in a different society. You might want to look into those.

The 3.5 DMG goes even farther in its chapter on variant races, presenting an example half-elf raised by elves and not humans.

J

Wolf72

Explorer
I know this is besides the point you guys are trying to make:

but, can a half-orc (applies to anyone using exotic double weapons) use the double axe as a martial weapon by attacking with only one end at a time? ... if s/he tries to go all ballistic and wield it as a double weapon then exotic and twf penalties apply (yowch! ... -4 exotic ... twf is what now? -2? ... so at least a -6/-6 to attack?)

drnuncheon

Explorer
Wolf72 said:
can a half-orc (applies to anyone using exotic double weapons) use the double axe as a martial weapon by attacking with only one end at a time?

No.

That gets a little bit goofy when you get to weapons like the dwarven urgrosh ("So if I put a spike on the end of my axe, it gets harder to use?"), but if you want to use a double weapon in any fashion, you need the EWP.

J

Wolf72

Explorer
gotcha,

brain fart ... sorry, I should have known that! (not acutally playing for nearly a year has it's drawbacks ... *darn school and work!* )

Beyond the mooing of the sacred cow one really has to wonder why they even bother putting the half-orc in there: silly unbalanced ability score modifiers, bad other abilities and it's the only race in the PHB that explicitly has a weakness (vulnerability to orc-bane weapons, why not spell out that half-elves are vulnerable to elf-bane weapons, or that dwarves are vulnerable to dwarf-bane weapons, etc).

This is the primary reason I house rule half-orcs (and half-elves) out of my game. Another way to tackle it is to give each race its own weakness (I tend to go with a penalty to Diplomacy and Gather Information for elves and Light Sensitivity for dwarves for example).

- Ma'at

Remove ads