D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Halfling with Reach, you like it?

FrankTrollman

First Post
Halflings could use the Heavy Lance in 3rd edition.

It's a 3 foot tall person who uses a ten foot pole and pokes people 10 feet away.

In what way are you having problems conceptualizing this?

A 5 foot 4 inch human has historically been able to carry a 20 foot pike.

The only question is not why halflings can get a 10 foot reach weapon, it's why humans can't get longer weapons.

-Frank

Destil

Explorer
DreamChaser said:
I personally think the new weapon system is the best so far in D&D. I always, always, always (should I??? nah) hated the implication that small creatures didn't make their own weapons, instead they used the little ones that humans or elves make.
DC
I'd argue that that's your inferral, not the system's implication. In a weapon system that treats a katana as a bastard sword it make enugh sense to me that a halfling using a short sword is equivelent to a human using a long sword. It keep it simple and makes the game playable. It also dosn't hit small rogue PCs with a double damage penelity for their size, and makes treasure more usable.

Destil

Explorer
DreamChaser said:
I personally think the new weapon system is the best so far in D&D. I always, always, always (should I??? nah) hated the implication that small creatures didn't make their own weapons, instead they used the little ones that humans or elves make.
DC
I'd argue that that's your inferral, not the system's implication. In a weapon system that treats a katana as a bastard sword it make enugh sense to me that a halfling using a short sword is equivelent to a human using a long sword. It keeps it simple and makes the game more playable.

Nail

First Post
This bears repeating:

HeavyG said:
If trolls can bite people 10 feet away, I don't see why a halfling would need a 10' long spear to do so.

In all the troll drawings I've seen, I've never seen a troll with a 10 foot long neck.

Destil

Explorer
Darklone said:
Well, Destil, Bastard swords are indeed used pretty similar to katanas :D
Exactily my point. While from a rules standpoint you don't need to differantate the're not at all the same in origin or style. It's up to the DM to add the nessessery flavor and context. So if you don't like Tolkien halflings who use long knives for swords just call them halfling war swords and have halflings manufacture thousands for their militias which scour the countryside engaging in grim and bloody campaigns of conquest. Problem solved.

Remove ads