• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 is Anime! Wait, what?

DandD

First Post
However, in the stories themselves, he does wear whatever armour is appropriate. Especially then when he's king of the Aquilonians and commanders legions of knights, infantrymen and archers. But he also did before when he was mercenary captain for the palace guard of some queen, or warchief of the Afghuli when raiding that oriental empire. He also wore armour when he was young and fought on the snowy fields of Cimmeria.
The only time Conan doesn't wear armour is when he's pursuing a career as a bucaneer, or he's been captured, or if he's doing thief-stuff and sneaking around, or exploring temples in deserts after wandering days without water. But whenever Conan had time to prepare himself and went for battle, he did don whatever heavy armour there was.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
DandD said:
The only time Conan doesn't wear armour is when he's pursuing a career as a bucaneer, or he's been captured, or if he's doing thief-stuff and sneaking around, or exploring temples in deserts after wandering days without water. But whenever Conan had time to prepare himself and went for battle, he did don whatever heavy armour there was.
Not really, no. He wore armor for war, and when wearing armor was part of a given gig. There's at least one example of him complaining about being required to wear armor when he was serving as a mercenary. But all that's irrelevant, really ... when Conan was adventuring, he went without armor. And the chick in question is an adventurer, right? (BTW, I haven't read REH, just the very faithful Dark Horse adaptations.)

Oh, and back to the main point: I tend to like WAR's art, and I'm glad there's a backstory attempt to explain the gigantic sword, but I still find it distracting (and thus detracting from a piece I'd otherwise like a lot). At least it's not fundamentally silly from a rules perspective, as it could have been ... she's gaining 3.5 points of damage at either the cost of a feat (Monkeygrip) or at the cost of -2 to attacks. The latter is slightly worse (Power Attack with a Medium greatsword at -2 would give her +4 damage), but that's handwaveable.

DandD

First Post
Jeff Wilder said:
Not really, no. He wore armor for war, and when wearing armor was part of a given gig.
I listed the parts when he didn't wear armour.
There's at least one example of him complaining about being required to wear armor when he was serving as a mercenary.
Where? If it's in the Dark Horse-comics, I won't touch them ever even with a 10-foot pole. The novel is the true ring thing. ;)

But all that's irrelevant, really ... when Conan was adventuring,
Conan is always adventuring. ;)
he went without armor.
Yes, when he was a pirat, or a thief, because armour hindered him. He never ever complained about armour in the novel.
And the chick in question is an adventurer, right?
What 'chick'? You mean that thing with elephant feet and a ratface? :p

(BTW, I haven't read REH, just the very faithful Dark Horse adaptations.)
Blasphemy. Do not pass go. Do not collect 1000$. Stay in Jail. :D

ArmoredSaint

First Post
Jeff Wilder said:
(BTW, I haven't read REH, just the very faithful Dark Horse adaptations.)

How do you know the Dark Horse adaptations are "very faithful" if you haven't read the original Howard stories?

I'd be willing to bet that Conan is wearing armour--at least a mail/scale hauberk--in more than half of the original Howard tales. A quick flip-through of my Conan collection shows that every single Conan story in which he's king features him wearing full plate.

I'm tired of Conan being put forward as an example of the "fantasy heroes don't wear armour" archetype in these threads. Conan wasn't stupid; he wore armour whenever the option was open to him.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
ArmoredSaint said:
How do you know the Dark Horse adaptations are "very faithful" if you haven't read the original Howard stories?
Because the letter column is full of letters from people who are fanatical about the prose Conan, and who constantly remark upon how faithful the Dark Horse series is.

As far as Conan as king goes, that's fine. (Dark Horse is starting the King Conan adaptations in a couple of months, so I'll see then.) As an adventurer, he's rarely in armor. I'd love to see him climb the hills of Cimmeria in full plate.

Wolfspider

Explorer
He's not an adventurer while he's king? Heh.

Really, though, Conan wears armor much more often than you'd think.

Read the stories--and not just so you can see this point. They are truly awesome.

Fenes

First Post
Such art is what makes me seriously consider buying the products, even though I don't plan to use the adventures (I run home-brew adventures, with far less combat than most adventures I have seen so far).

WayneLigon

Adventurer
ArmoredSaint said:
I'm tired of Conan being put forward as an example of the "fantasy heroes don't wear armour" archetype in these threads. Conan wasn't stupid; he wore armour whenever the option was open to him.

True, but outside the comics if you pull in any five random Conan pics I'd be willing to bet money at least three of them, probably four, have him in just a fur loincloth and sandals. So, tired or not, that's what most people know.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
DandD said:
If it's in the Dark Horse-comics, I won't touch them ever even with a 10-foot pole.

Too bad. You're missing some of the best illustrated fantasy available as well as faitthful adaptations of Howard's stories.

Remove ads