D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Item Creation Questions

kreynolds

First Post
Bozidar said:
So what kind of price, base price, would you put on a wonderous item with Protection from Evil cast on it?

I'm leaning towards just the normal spell price.

Personally, I figure the deflection bonus and resistance bonus to be roughly 6,600 on their own, so I don't think using the spell formula, which would yield only 8,000, would be appropriate.

Bozidar said:
It's just too much guess work.

But more accurate. To each his own, I suppose. :cool:

Bozidar

First Post
What if you dropped the resistance bonuses, and the deflection bonus, and just kept the second and third part of the spell.

A) Prevent possession, or excercising an established possession
B) Prevent bodily contact by summoned creature

The other two parts wouldn't stack with existing bonuses anyway, which i'm planning on working into this item or it's counterpart..

Staffan

Legend
Bozidar said:
What if you dropped the resistance bonuses, and the deflection bonus, and just kept the second and third part of the spell.

A) Prevent possession, or excercising an established possession
B) Prevent bodily contact by summoned creature

The other two parts wouldn't stack with existing bonuses anyway, which i'm planning on working into this item or it's counterpart..
I'd say something like half the cost of a continuous protection from evil (using the spell level*caster level*whatever*duration modifier formula which I don't remember at the moment).

kreynolds

First Post
According to the formulas, a continuous protection from evil item would only cost 4K. That's too low already, IMO.

Last edited:

Bozidar

First Post
kreynolds said:
According to the formulas, a continuous protection from evil item would only cost 4K. That's too low already, IMO.
Even excluding the AC and resistance bonuses?

If so, then maybe the spell itself is overpowered for first level?

dcollins

Explorer
Bozidar said:
It's just too much guess work.

It's important to understand that all "new items" like you're considering are intrinsically house rules. As the DMG states, the whole new item pricing formulas are just "guidelines". It's entirely up to the DM (you mentioned your DM earlier) to determine what price he feels it is, or whether to allow the new item in the first place (there's no rules that authoritatively state PCs are allowed to craft new items at will in the first place).

Such is the realm of house rules.
www.superdan.net/dndfaq3.html

kreynolds

First Post
Bozidar said:
Even excluding the AC and resistance bonuses?

I'm saying the formula for spell level x caster level x 2000 simply doesn't work in this case, regardless of whether or not you exclude the AC and resistance bonuses.

Bozidar said:
If so, then maybe the spell itself is overpowered for first level?

There's nothing wrong with the spell. A duration of permanent, which is what you get on a continuous item, is what overpowers the spell, which is why its going to be expensive.

Remove ads