D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Item Creation Questions

Bozidar

First Post
A couple of them, bear with me..i'm just unsure of some of the rules.

What would be the 3.5 rules associated with creating these items? I've looked at the books, but can't make sense of these items..

1) A cape or wonderous item with "Mage Armor" cast upon it, along with a + 1 natural armor enhancement bonus.

2) A ring that grants a +2 enhancement bonus to wisdom, +2 to dex, and +2 to con.

3) Does the Amulet of Might Fists, created with the "greater magic fang" spell, treat the wearer's unarmed or natural weapons as "magic" for the reasons of damage reduction?

Any and all help is much appreciated :) Thanks in advance..

Bozidar

First Post
Bozidar said:
1) A cape or wonderous item with "Mage Armor" cast upon it, along with a + 1 natural armor enhancement bonus.
I ask about this one, because by the rules of the DMG, it makes "bracers of armor +4" a hell of a lot cheaper than 16,000.
Bozidar said:
2) A ring that grants a +2 enhancement bonus to wisdom, +2 to dex, and +2 to con.
A player came up with this one. It's effectively giving them +6 ability enhancements, but since they don't stack, it's cheaper than the 36,000 to get a +6 in any stat..
Bozidar said:
3) Does the Amulet of Might Fists, created with the "greater magic fang" spell, treat the wearer's unarmed or natural weapons as "magic" for the reasons of damage reduction?
This one i'm just not sure about. Does it make a monk's fists magic weapons? I know they get ki-strike later, but this character isn't at that level yet..

Geoff Watson

First Post
Bozidar said:
A couple of them, bear with me..i'm just unsure of some of the rules.

What would be the 3.5 rules associated with creating these items? I've looked at the books, but can't make sense of these items..

An item that gives a +4 armour bonus costs the same as an item that gives a +4 armour bonus.
The combined item costs 20,000gp. (16,000 for the +4 armour bonus, plus 2000 x 2 for not taking up a slot for the +1 NA).

20,000gp.
(4,000 for the first +2, 8,000 each for the 2nd and 3rd +2 as they don't take up a slot).

Yes.

Geoff.

Bozidar

First Post
Geoff Watson said:
An item that gives a +4 armour bonus costs the same as an item that gives a +4 armour bonus.
The combined item costs 20,000gp. (16,000 for the +4 armour bonus, plus 2000 x 2 for not taking up a slot for the +1 NA).
Well, that's similar to what i thought, but here's the thing. Where as the spell, Mage Armor, gives protection from incorporeal creatures, but the item, Bracers of Armor, doesn't explicitedly provide such protection. I agree with your cost analysis for the +4 armor bonus, but the cape in question does take up a slot, so the prices is X 1.5, not X 2. (as per the example of adding Invisibility to a ring of protection +2, on page 288 of the DMG)
Geoff Watson said:
20,000gp.
(4,000 for the first +2, 8,000 each for the 2nd and 3rd +2 as they don't take up a slot).
Well, again it's 1.5. The not taking up a slot is for things like Ioun Stones, which is why their +2 enhancement bonuses are 8000, not 4000. But thanks. Even at 16,000 (4000 + 6000 + 6000) that's a bargain. i would have thought that it would have combined the three ability bonuses and made it 36000.
Geoff Watson said:
Thanks again for your help :)

Brekki

First Post
Costs for non-slotted abilities are x1,5 in 3.5, not x2 like in 3.0.

Bozidar said:

12.000 gp for the Mage Armor (see the ring in Sword & Fist)
3.000 gp (2.000 x 1,5) for the +1 natural armor bonus
====
15.000 gp total

Bozidar said:
4.000 gp for wisdom
6.000 gp (4000 gp x 1,5) for the dexterity
6.000 gp (4000 gp x 1,5) for the constitution
====
16.000 gp total

Bozidar said:
Yes it does :) ... just like the "Magic Fang, Greater" spell

sithramir

First Post
Brekki said:
Costs for non-slotted abilities are x1,5 in 3.5, not x2 like in 3.0.

12.000 gp for the Mage Armor (see the ring in Sword & Fist)
3.000 gp (2.000 x 1,5) for the +1 natural armor bonus
====
15.000 gp total

4.000 gp for wisdom
6.000 gp (4000 gp x 1,5) for the dexterity
6.000 gp (4000 gp x 1,5) for the constitution
====
16.000 gp total

Yes it does :) ... just like the "Magic Fang, Greater" spell

Sword and Fist items no longer are correct in all of their items because of a few slight changes to items. The ring of Mage armor for instance is more expensive for not being a normal slot which was never a rule in 3.0. I have to go to class now or i'd try to help tell the exact price.

kreynolds

First Post
Geoff Watson said:
(16,000 for the +4 armour bonus, plus 2000 x 2 for not taking up a slot for the +1 NA).

Additional non-similar powers on an item that occupies a space on the body have a 50% increase in price, not 100%.

kreynolds

First Post
Bozidar said:
I ask about this one, because by the rules of the DMG, it makes "bracers of armor +4" a hell of a lot cheaper than 16,000.

Actually, no. One of the rules of the DMG is to compare your new item to the items already in there. So, if you compare your base cape or wondrous item with just the armor bonus to items already in the DMG, then you already know that the base cost of the cape or wondrous item will be at least the same cost as bracers of armor.

Geoff Watson

First Post
Bozidar said:
Well, that's similar to what i thought, but here's the thing. Where as the spell, Mage Armor, gives protection from incorporeal creatures, but the item, Bracers of Armor, doesn't explicitedly provide such protection.

Bracers of Armour did give such protection in 3.0, and it does mention that the armour is made of force in 3.5, so I would rule that they do protect against incorporal creatures.

I admit I missed the change to 1.5 for additional powers.

Geoff.

kreynolds

First Post
Geoff Watson said:
Bracers of Armour did give such protection in 3.0, and it does mention that the armour is made of force in 3.5, so I would rule that they do protect against incorporal creatures.

Sage Advice has also mentioned this, no less than twice now, I believe.

Geoff Watson said:
I admit I missed the change to 1.5 for additional powers.

No biggie. The 3.5 DMG is misleading about how additional powers on slotted items are priced anyway. Item prices themselves seem to follow the 1.5 multiplyer, two passages support it, but the pricing table contradicts all of it saying the multiplyer is x2 for the first power.

Remove ads