D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Lightning Bolt?

JoeBlank

Explorer
Can anyone confirm changes to Lightning Bolt? My sorcerer just leveled and is deciding between LB and good ol' Fireball.

Thanks.

Hackenslash

First Post
Seems the same as 3.0 to me...

Hi Joe,

I have only had the new 3.5 PHB for a couple of days but from first perusal, I am sure that the Lightning Bolt and Fireball are still the same from 3.0 edition. However IMHO, I would go for FireBall first as you can still target one monster if you are carefull but can also effect a whole group if necessary. Just my 2 cents. Good Hunting....:D

Cloudgatherer

First Post
I read in another thread that LB is a 120 foot 'line', no longer the area effect spell it once was.

Later.

Edit: Apperently my definition of line does not match with WotC... (5x120 area for lit bolt)

Last edited:

JoeBlank

Explorer
As long as it is still an area, I might consider it. Was planning to take the Sculpt Spell feat, which only affects area spells. But won't be able to Sculpt 3d level spells until 8th level.

Could someone explain "line" effect spells in general for me? How is a line effect defined?

Dr. Zoom

First Post
3.0 Lightning Bolt had a range of Medium. It was either 5 ft. wide and shot out to full range, or it could be 10 ft. wide and half the range.

3.5 Lightning Bolt has an area of Line (5 ft. wide) and the range is fixed to 120 ft.

Vanye

Explorer
JoeBlank said:
Could someone explain "line" effect spells in general for me? How is a line effect defined?

You pick your target, and draw a line between you and it; any square that the line passes through on it's way to the target is included in it's effect. p176 of the new book has a line diagram, with lightning bolt as it's example.

Remove ads