D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Mis-sized ranged weapons

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
And with the Quick-Loading enhancement from either Magic of Faerun or Arms and Equipment, you can do that for 100 rounds n a row, before having to spend hours reloading the suckers (with fletched javelins or the like, I'm sure)!!

Hmm. Do you still need two hands to reload a Quick-Loading Light Crossbow as a free action?

We might need a couple of Gloves of Storing to make it all work right.

And a Huge Quick-loading Light Crossbow can be reloaded as a free action, while the Heavy Crossbow needs a MEA.

Of course, with an Enlarge spell, the Huge Light Crossbow becomes Gargantuan and still does 4d6 damage...

-Hyp.

Pax

Banned
Banned
Hypersmurf said:
Hmm. Do you still need two hands to reload a Quick-Loading Light Crossbow as a free action?

We might need a couple of Gloves of Storing to make it all work right.

And a Huge Quick-loading Light Crossbow can be reloaded as a free action, while the Heavy Crossbow needs a MEA.

Of course, with an Enlarge spell, the Huge Light Crossbow becomes Gargantuan and still does 4d6 damage...

-Hyp.

DM: So let me get this straight; your Dwarf fighter wields not one, but TWO +1 Huge Light Crossbows Of Quick-Loading and Seeking, one in each hand ... ?
Dwarf: Yep. And I have a Ring of Growth, too.
DM: Er. A DWARF, wielding a smallish ballista in each hand, who becomes ogre-sized, wielding a HUGE ballista in each hand?
Dwarf: Yep. And I can full attack with each of 'em; 100 rounds of ammo apiece.
DM: And to top it all off, you want two hundred Alchemit's Bolts sized appropriately for your crossbow?!?
Dwarf: Yep. Trolls? Bring 'em on!
DM: *begins pounding head on table*

hehehe.

Hmm, there's a good question: shouldn't the extra dice from energy-based (and other) damage adders be modified by size?

IOW, shouldn't the Huge +1 Flaming Longsword do more fire damage than it's otherwise-identical Small counterpart?

pingpong

First Post
wow, ive never been this confused about a rule. thanks, WotC...

so let me get this straight. a Medium sized human tries to wield a Gargantuan Longsword, but cant, because of the rule on page 113, "If a weapon's designation would be changed to something other than light, one-handed, or two-handed by this alteration, the creature can't wield the weapon at all."

since bows and crossbows dont have the light, one/two-handed designation, theoretically a Small halfling could wield a Colossal Light Crossbow. but the response from WotC Customer Service puts a stop to this, saying they can only use a bow or crossbow 2 sizes larger than themselves.

am i understanding this right?

Kirowan

First Post
You got it pingpong. Actually, you can't use any projectile or thrown weapon 2 sizes larger or smaller than you are.

It's still problematic since a halfling would wield a large dagger as a two-handed weapon with a -4 penalty but still be able to throw it with one hand just fine (albeit with a -4 penalty) since thrown weapons are always used one-handed.

I suggested giving ranged weapons virtual designators using the light, one-handed, and two-handed descriptors to the rep and he said he would pass it on to R&D.

It's quite an omission and I think we need a firmer ruling on it.

Nick

Last edited:

pingpong

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

Got it in one.

Doesn't the new weapon sizing system just clear everything up beautifully? :)

-Hyp.

yeah, about as clear as mud :rolleyes:

im starting to understand it now, but only because i really wanted to. i can just imagine the glazed over looks i would get from the people i play with if i tried to explain the intricacies of the new weapon sizes to them.

thanks

Remove ads