D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Mis-sized ranged weapons

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
The rules for using mis-sized melee weapons in 3.5 are fairly clear.

A Small character using a Medium one-handed weapon treats it as a two-handed weapon, and takes a -2 penalty.

A Small character cannot use a Medium two-handed weapon.

However, ranged weapons do not receive a type designator within the size category.

There's nothing to state whether a shuriken, for example, classes as light or one-handed. We know it isn't two-handed, because you can use it with one hand.

So a Small character can definitely throw a Medium shuriken (with a -2 penalty). But does it class as a two-handed weapon, taking a full round action to throw?

And what about a Large shuriken with a -4 penalty? Possible? Only possible as a full-round action? Impossible?

And what about a Huge shuriken?

What about a small character wanting to fire a Medium light crossbow? A Medium heavy crossbow? A Medium character can fire a heavy crossbow one-handed (albeit with penalties), so in theory, a Small character should be able to fire it two-handed. How about a Large light crossbow? A Large heavy crossbow? A Huge hand crossbow?

-Hyp.

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
I have no idea based on the rules.

I think I will deal with this problem by ruling that characters can use all range weapons that are either one size larger or smaller at -2 but can not use range weapons greater than one size diferent from their size (except as improvised weapons were appropriate).

It is sad to see so many holes in the new rules. Did anyone Break-Test these rules?

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I think I will deal with this problem by ruling that characters can use all range weapons that are either one size larger or smaller at -2 but can not use range weapons greater than one size diferent from their size (except as improvised weapons were appropriate).

That still leaves you with the weirdness that a halfling can use a Medium Heavy Crossbow but not a Large Hand Crossbow, though.

-Hyp.

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
Hypersmurf said:

That still leaves you with the weirdness that a halfling can use a Medium Heavy Crossbow but not a Large Hand Crossbow, though.

-Hyp.

I guess you could allow charaters to use one handed range weapons 2 sizes larger then they are as two handed range weapons at -4. Inversely you might allow characters to use two handed only range weapons that are two sizes smaller then the character.

You could also expand the usable range of weapons to 2 sizes larger.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
You could always just assign designations of light, normal and two-handed to each weapon. Every bow would come in at two-handed as would the repeating crossbows, other crossbows (barring the hand crossbow) and nets would be normal, hand crossbows, shuriken and bolas would be light.

Conaill

First Post
Just another tidbit: notice that the ballista is now a mounted Huge Heavy Xbow!

That means that Medium size creatures have a -4 to fire a ballista, and that Huge critters can actually pick one up and walk around with it like a hand weapon. Cool!

On the not-so-cool side... my gnome siege engineer is confused why he now gets an extra -2 penalty to fire the damn thing. Sigh. :rolleyes:

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Ranged weapons should have "virtual size categories". Even though that shortbow has to be used with both hands, he'd be "one-handed", for example.

Kirowan

First Post
Well, pg. 160 says that darts and shurikens are treated as light weapons and bolas, javelins, nets, and slings are treated as one-handed weapons when used in each hand.

I have no idea what to do with projectile weapons though. I called customer service and the guy told me that it's a DMs call. He also said that crossbows did receive type designators. You know, heavy crossbow, light crossbow, ect. Clearly, he didn't know what he was talking about.

This is quite an omission.

Nick

Kirowan

First Post
Hypersmurf, I also emailed this question to WotC customer service. As soon as I hear something, I'll post to this thread.

Nick

Remove ads