D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Mis-sized ranged weapons

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I meant, "more than 2 sizes..."

Right.

Of course, that ruling is entirely on the strength of a Customer Service answer (and we know how much that's worth!) that already contradicts an example in the books - the Small character using a ballista...

-Hyp.

Last edited:

pingpong

First Post
i was thinking about this a bit more (god help us all)...

would it be reasonable to assume that the descriptions for certain weapons might represent some sort psuedo-handedness?

for example, the description of the longbow says that you need at least two hands to use it. granted, this doesnt technically make it a two-handed weapon, but lets say its a virtual two-handed weapon. that means you wouldnt be able to wield a Large Longbow with a Medium sized human.

crap, stupid light crossbows dont work!!!!

they normally take two hands to use (so this suggests two-handed), but can be fired one handed at a penalty (this suggests one-handed), but when used one in each hand, are considered light weapons

what the hell!

i give up.

i leave you with this episode of Something Positive, that pretty much sums up the way im feeling, since none of the smilies seem to be able to capture my emotions.

Something Positive

though in my case, replace "make out with the girl I'm dating" with "drink copious amounts of alcohol".

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Hmm. A Medium creature - say a human sorcerer - can fire (but not load) a Huge Heavy Crossbow with one hand, with a total penalty of -8... or one in each hand for a total penalty of (with the TWF feat) -12/-12.

2 bolts at 4d6 damage each... as long as you can hit with them :)

-Hyp.

Of course, he could use scorching ray. These deal 4d6, too, and are far lighter, he has no penalty, and he even can do 3 of them! ;)

But you're right: Even a human commoner could do it (and if he wants to hit his own barn - or something of similar size - his chances wouldn't be that bad!) See? 3eR gives us whole new possibilities for Smackdowns :D

Actually, I think they have screwed it up with the ranged weapons, but it should be easy to fix if you give them virtual categories based on their old sizes.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Actually, I think they have screwed it up with the ranged weapons, but it should be easy to fix if you give them virtual categories based on their old sizes.

Yeah. Ah well, it's something they can fix in the revision.

... oh, damn.

-Hyp.

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
Hypersmurf said:

Yeah. Ah well, it's something they can fix in the revision.

... oh, damn.

-Hyp.

Maybe they can fix it in next week's revision. I hear 3.6 will fix these unfortunate oversights and add or change many of the game's systems to add a better flavor to D&D.

Remove ads