[3.5] Most bizarre—yet playable—character concept

Vargo

First Post
I never got to play him, but during 3.0 I had an idea for a Cleric who had the domains of Knowledge and Madness who was eventually to take the Alienist prestige class. His backstory was that he had been forcibly abducted and recruited into an occult order called the Prisonkeepers, a group dedicated to the imprisonment of a Cthulhuesqe entity. Where other Clerics are granted powers by their Gods, the Prisonkeepers drained away the power of their imprisoned God, preventing his escape, by rituals that were the spiritual equivalent of Divine rape. This, and the nature of the energies they were channeling, eventually would drive each of the prisonkeepers completely insane - but they viewed their sacrifice as necessary to keep the horror trapped.

It was a pretty messed up idea that I never got to run.

DarkKestral

First Post
One of the characters I've wanted to run was a cat-obsessed, possibly catfolk, possibly human sorceror (druid or wizard would probably work as well) who had a cat familiar and an awakened cat cohort (perhaps cat rogue?) who would spend far too much time polymorphed into a cat form. So you'd see these 3-4 black cats, all of whom would be sentient. I suppose if he summoned anything, the summons would still probably be cats, in general. Perhaps with leadership, he'd have a small army of cats... (non-awakened cats being his primary followers, if that'd be allowable.) The problem is how to find cat-themed spells... Cat's Grace would be a must-have, though.

THe nice thing is you could do it totally without leaving core, I think, though having an entire spell repertoire primarily using cat themed spells would be highly difficult, though.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I ran a half-giant paladin that was epically dumb and unwise. He wore tight blue armor, spoke like a super-hero, and was charismatic and nigh-invulnerable.... He was... The Tick!

Color me jealous! I ran a "Tick" themed PC ("Major Mosquito") in a playtest of GURPS: VtM and had a blast. I never thought of running him in D&D though!.

phindar

First Post
My Monk/Barbarian always gets me a strange look, but its actually a pretty solid class combo. I went half-orc, because that appealed to me. Start off in Monk (good skills, great saves) and go 9 levels, then succumb to the rage in your half-human heart and start taking barbarian levels. 70' move, 24 STR when raging, Improved Evasion, and I went the Spring Attack route. Throw most of your gold at boosting your AC and in the words of Carl Weathers, you got yourself a stew.

But I always make multiclass trainwrecks. For my friend's pirate game I made a Rogue 3/Ranger 3/Sorcerer 1, and my current character is a Paladin/Aristocrat/Knight/Knight Protector/Hospitaler/Fighter (all at 15th level) who's going Pious Templar next level. And I've spent the last few days kicking around Monk/Samurai (OA)/Samurai (CW)'s and Monk/Earth Shugenja/Sorcerers for a new OA game before settling on a Monk/Samurai (Dragon)/Fighter who's going to go Ronin and then maybe Barbarian. (I got stuck with the Monk levels as part of the character creation guidelines, but as someone who likes a good trainwreck, it works for me.)

Remove ads