D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] No more Smite Evil/Critical ?

HeavyG

First Post
I don't know if I'm reading this right.

The critical hits section of the 3.5 PHB (p.140) says

A critical hit means that you roll damage more than once, with all your usual bonuses, and add the rolls together. Unless otherwise specified, the threat range for a critical hit on an attack roll is 20, and the multiplier is x2.
Exception : Extra damage over and above a weapon's normal damage, such as that dealt by a sneak attack or the special ability of a flaming sword, is not multiplied when you score a critical hit.

(Emphasis mine)

Now, in 3.0, the rule was clearer. When you added extra dice to the damage, it wasn't modified, but extra damage was. No sign of a distinction between extra damage and extra dice of damage in this text. However, the examples are both added dice, but those examples are not exclusive. :confused:

Also, the Smite Evil description on p.44 clearly indicates that Smite Evil is extra damage ("deals one extra point of damage per paladin level").

Of course, if my theory is correct, this would also affect the smite domain ability and maybe spells such as Divine Favor. Oh and definitely the Power Critical feat (although it is no longer core of course, so who cares ? ;))

Here are some relevant points :
1) Is "a weapon's normal damage" defined anywhere as a game term ? If so, what is it supposed to include ?
2) Is there another place in the corebooks that describes critical hits better or differently ? (I have only the PHB)
3) Is this a good or bad thing ?

Kae'Yoss

First Post
I think there's a "dice" missing. It should read:

Extra damage dice over and above a weapon's normal damage dice, such as that dealt by a sneak attack or the special ability of a flaming sword, are not multiplied when you score a critical hit.

HeavyG

First Post
It's a possibility, yes.

Especially seeing as I just thought to check the Glossary :)rolleyes: @ me) and it does specify added damage dice.

I think now that there is a possibility that they meant to change it with 3.5 and forgot to change the glossary, but it is more likely to be just a typo on p.140.

Any further text on this (like in the DMG maybe ?) would be appreciated. :)

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Note that the p140 text still says to roll damage with all your usual bonuses more than once.

So I'd be almost certain that the intention hasn't changed from 3.0.

-Hyp.

Remove ads