D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Planar Ally changes?

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
KaeYoss said:

But the base costs should still be lower, so you will at least consider using planar ally even when it's not absolutely necessary and 100% for the better good of the church.

Meteor Swarm level magic will certainly take out a 5 or 6 HD creature, whether you paid 15000 gp or 45 gp for its services.

If we halve the cost for ethos and double the cost for significant hazards, we still are not getting anywhere.

I mostly agree with you. The planar ally should be too pricey for everyday use. But it should be reasonable to pay the price for special occasions. As it is now it is an extremely bad sucker's bet.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Ridley's Cohort said:

A 10th level NPC Evil Wizard would be bankrupted by hiring a 6 HD guardian for a single month. Hazzardous duties? Forget it!

The thing is, the NPC Evil Wizard won't be casting any planar ally spells... because he has to cast planar binding instead. More dangerous, but you've got more bargaining room.

Planar ally seriously needed some balancing vs planar binding, and now its got it. The gp prices give a DM a basis for making judgements (and for valuing the equivalent services/magic item donation/etc that might be demanded). It doesn't say the called creatures need cash, it gives it as a base value and *even that* is negotiable as KaeYoss points out.

Cheers

coyote6

Adventurer
ruleslawyer said:
Clerics can't teleport.

Unless they're 9th+ level and have the Travel domain, of course. :D

(Assuming 3.5e Travel is like 3.0e Travel, of course.)

I was thinking I might charge the gp or the xp cost, but not both. Either you have to give up valuables, or some of your essence (expressed as xp).

But then, greater planar ally is really powerful . . . maybe vary the xp costs, too.

Oh, well, wait 'til I have the books. :)

Kae'Yoss

First Post
coyote6 said:

Unless they're 9th+ level and have the Travel domain, of course. :D

(Assuming 3.5e Travel is like 3.0e Travel, of course.)

Yep, Travel will still give you Teleport and Greater Teleport.

And of course, every Cleric of 17th level and up can use Miracle to emulate Greater Teleport. (this is still free).

ruleslawyer

I was simply providing a counter to Shard's suggestion. Mea culpa; most clerics can't teleport.

Incidentally, Shard: I'd never use that scaling IMC. Only 50 xp more for 1 day's service per level than for 1 hour's service? That seems too little for the additional value you get.

Thomas Percy

First Post
KaeYoss said:
Planar ally isn't something you cast to clean the jakes. You won't call Lolth's handmaidens to help you arrange some flower bouquet. You won't get a planetar to go get some milk and crackers. .
I saw (3e):
Osyluth (devil) casting uncountable Fly on soldiers to cross rivers, mountains and great distances/day.
Ghaele (celestial) Teleporting 100 times with army pay
Succubus Teleporting with 60 tons of luxury goods/day

Last edited:

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Thomas Percy said:

I saw (3e):
Osyluth (devil) casting uncountable Fly on soldiers to cross rivers, mountains and great distances/day.
Ghaele (celestial) Teleporting 100 times with army pay
Succubus Teleporting with 60 tons of luxury goods/day

All perfectly good examples of getting more out of your spells than you're due. With the new version of the spell, they won't do that anymore.

Remove ads