D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Planar Ally changes?

Geoff Watson

First Post
James McMurray said:
Divine Rank 0? I hope not. Evil campaigns need something to be afraid of, but that they might be able to beat. The Solar is that something.

Solars are effectively Divine Rank 0 anyway; they have all the abilities that DR0 grants you. Solars are what the D&Dg designers used as the low end for Divine Rank.

Geoff.

James McMurray said:
Divine Rank 0? I hope not. Evil campaigns need something to be afraid of, but that they might be able to beat. The Solar is that something.

Well, Solars have moved from CR 19 to CR 23. They had to do this to make them better than the Pit Fiends/Balors which moved to CR20.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Plane Sailing said:

No, only the summoning.

Cheers

That's nice. So I can still use that spell as originally planned.

Malachi of Kossuth said:

Well, Solars have moved from CR 19 to CR 23. They had to do this to make them better than the Pit Fiends/Balors which moved to CR20.

They had to do that because that thing was more than CR 19: BAB +22, 209 hp on average, Up to 10 attacks (dancing vorpal greatsword plus mighty composite longbow - with slayer arrows!), Regeneration, Nice saves, a truckload of powerful spell-like abilities, AND casting as a 20th-level cleric with 5 domains... I don't know, I rather face a Clr 19 (or two Clr 19) than that thing!

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
James McMurray said:

I don't recall seeing anything about divine rank in the MM terminology.

I can tell you they have regeneration, and only take normal damage from epic, evil weapons... so beating it is going to be darn difficult.

At least their swords are only dancing weapons now, and not vorpal dancing weapons.

Cheers

coyote6

Adventurer
My group hasn't abused planar ally (probably because it's so easy to see how a GM can abuse PCs right back), so I think I'll probably mostly waive the XP cost. I can see where the XP cost would be very handy to check overuse, though.

(Though I think the amount is still a bit high -- I don't think a single 6 HD outsider is as valuable as being able to play a short version of 20 Questions with your god.)

Shard O'Glase

First Post
I'm ok with the XP cost its the GP cost I hate. Don't have the charts in fornt of me but I susepct I could hire a equivelent level to CR NPC for a month, with the costs of hiring the planar ally for 1/min a level for non hazordous tasks, and that's just silly. i mean really forget about planar ally just teleport back to town and hire a merc for a month. Heck after you learn where the mercs hang out you might be able to do it in under the 10 minute casting time of planar ally.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Shard O'Glase said:
I'm ok with the XP cost its the GP cost I hate. Don't have the charts in fornt of me but I susepct I could hire a equivelent level to CR NPC for a month, with the costs of hiring the planar ally for 1/min a level for non hazordous tasks, and that's just silly. i mean really forget about planar ally just teleport back to town and hire a merc for a month. Heck after you learn where the mercs hang out you might be able to do it in under the 10 minute casting time of planar ally.

Yeah, but the point is that a planar ally will tend to be significantly more powerful than any old merc.

Otherwise, why not just do it yourself??

Remove ads