D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Random Encounter Generator Just leveled up!

TheOverlord

First Post
I just thought I would let people know as this has been a fairly popular portion of the Monster Advancer. The random encounter generator now lets you generate a number of creatures a given CR or generate an encounter at any level you specify (it does the # of creatures and distributions to approximate the EL you asked for)

It also lets you restrict either method by creature type or environment.
(I wouldn't currently recommend restricting too much just because we need to increase the sheer volume of monsters in the system but do what you like)

For example:

I want a 10th level EL of Goblinoids. The system generates a randomly selected group of creatures that are goblinoids (currently only bugbears and goblins I think). It decides to return the following:

Goblin Rogue4 (CR4)
Bugbear Rogue2 (CR4)
Goblin Bard4 (CR4)
Goblin Sorcerer4 (CR4)

Spellwarped, Fiendish Bugbear Cleric1 (CR3)
Vampire Goblin Monk1 (CR3)
Vampire Goblin Fighter1 (CR3)

Goblin Fighter5 (CR5)

4 CR 4 creatures, 3 CR 3 creatures and 1 CR 5 creature which adds up to about a 9.83 EL overall.

That's right...it will give back advanced monsters, creatures with class levels, creatures with templates, creatures with templates and class levels, creatures with advanced hit dice, class levels and templates...you name it. All while working out groups of creatures of all different group distributions from one creature to many--and keeping the Encounter Level fairly close to what you want.

I hope you like it and I look forward to your feedback.
(I just generated a Half-fiend, Vampire 7-headed Hydra)

Help 3.5 Thrive!

TheOverlord

First Post
Quickened Advancer Upgraded

For those of you still keeping score I just upgraded the quickened advancer to allow templates to be added there as well.

Also highlighted my print friendly view with a print-preview link as well as added creatures that are great mounts, horses, riding dogs, rhinos, griffons, hippogriffs...etc. Enjoy.

TheOverlord

First Post
There is nothing an infinite supply of cheap labor can't accomplish

Excellent! I love it! I want more! Thank you!

Can you add the Celestial template?

You ask and the benevolent overlord shall respond. I shall inform you the moment the celestial template is released. I have completed the necessary code already.

shadyizok

Explorer
BWahaha that thing is awesome. I would never have build a Half-Fiend Spellwarped Vampire Pony myself but it is so going in a game somewhere in the future XD

Herzog

Adventurer
I'm not sure how much work it would be, but I'd be interested in starting out with a class instead. For instance, to flesh out a PrC organization, having representatives of various races, templates, etc. to arrive at the PrC, possibly through different class-combinations. Also, to simply have several Warlocks or something work together in an ambush, with different races, templates, etc.

TheOverlord

First Post
Tailored vs. Random Encounters

I'm not sure how much work it would be, but I'd be interested in starting out with a class instead. For instance, to flesh out a PrC organization, having representatives of various races, templates, etc. to arrive at the PrC, possibly through different class-combinations. Also, to simply have several Warlocks or something work together in an ambush, with different races, templates, etc.

I believe I am getting a picture of what you want. Are you talking about having more tailored encounters generated with the random encounter generator? Such as having 2 warlocks and 4 demons or 1 druid and 2 dire wolves.

This also gives me the thought that while a bit complicated I might even eventually be able to make a system where you could create your own "tailored" encounter generation. You would select various classes, races, templates or monsters to include, such as warlock, adept, wizard, sorcerer, demon and/or devil, some elementals, the half-fiend and fiendish template and then generating an encounter based on that criteria. Even if this is not quite what you are suggesting it is an excellent idea...

In any case I already have plans for a more tailored encounter generation that would allow you to select themes which would end up generating less "random" creatures. So if you wanted a "Crypt" encounter you would end up with everything from mummies to dire rats to the occasional crypt robber who is a rogue or something. Once that part is done I can certainly work on finding a way to allow you to customize your own "themes" or tailored encounters.

Well, I have thought out loud long enough...let me know if I am way off base or if what I am planning on doing right now isn't going to fulfill your needs.

Remove ads