D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5 SRD] Question about Feinting

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
If BAB was added to both sides, the gap would quickly become unassailable again.

Plus Rogues are the only characters likely to want to feint with regularity, because most of the time they are the ones who get some solid benefit out of it. Sure, fighters could choose to feint occasionally, if they are facing an extremly high Dex foe... but I'd bet that in most cases they would be better off just taking full attacks against them!

Petrosian

First Post
When i see fighters with sense motive it is usually not specifically for counter fienting but for the social skill counter uses.

I did screw the pooch on the bab...

R10 bluff 13 + 3 cha +4 IFFeat = 20
F10 SM13 (+6) +1 wis +3 SFocusFeat +10 BAB + 20.

befoire you go all FIGHTERS NEVER WOULD WASTE A FEAT MY GIOD WHAT AN IDIOT ON ME i will mention that fighter get something like 19 feats over 20 levels and so do have a feat or two to throw on things like the equivalent of 6 extra skill points.

The rogue vs fighter is simply one of the rather extreme cases.
lets look at possibly a more reasonable case.

rog1/ftr9 attempts to bluff a fighter-10.
looking for balance we will again assume both have tried to get what they can from bluff vs sense motive.

before we start, we will observe that their fighting prowess is almost identical, a 1 point BAB dif.

R1F9 takes +4 bluff (rog level) and +9 bluff (all 18 ranks from being a ftr-9) and we will give him a +2 for charisma and we will give him skill focus bluff and improved feint for a total of +22
Thats two feats and 22 skill points for a +22

My ftr-10 spends 13 skill ranks for +6, gets +2 for wisdom (assumes they have equal stats elsewhere but reverse their cha and wis) +3 for skill focus SM and +10 for BAB giving him a total of about +21

+21 vs +22 is about an even roll on an opposed d20.

One character multiclassed and used 22 skill ranks and two feats for doing a feint while the other used a single class, 13 skill ranks and one feat.

So, roughly one feat and 9 more skill ranks earned the r1/f1 a +1 net on the opposed roll?

The BAB adjustment should have been on both sides of the equation, not just on one side. The attackers fighting prowess should matter every bit as much as the defenders.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
One who realizes the potency of cross-class skills. One who wants to be able to deal with social situations and use sense motive which serves as an extremely useful traits in those cases.

I think, am not certain, that the dwarven fighter in my current game has the highest sense motive or if not is very close.

BTW, in case you and everyone you have ever gamed with missed it, by taking a couple points off the meat stats, you can increase those skills per rank quite a bit. getting a 14 is rather cheap, costing only 6 points in a point buy where a 18 costs 6 points more than a 16. So, for example, a fighter who wanted to be more than meat could take a 16 str and a 14 INT and have on top of any skills the meat-only fighter wanted some 13 ranks in intimidate and 13 ranks (for +6) in sense motive and not be bluff fodder for the vast majority of people.[/b][/quote]

You're obviously using a rather high point buy. If you think that 16 strength, 14 int, and 12 wisdom are a low-cost option for a fighter, then you're talking a minimum of 28 point buy for str 16, dex 10, con 14, int 14, wis 12, cha 8. At 32 point buy, 12 dex and 10 cha would be possible as well. However, that's not too likely a build for a dwarf fighter who "wants to be able to deal with social situations." Such a character would probably want more than a modified 6 charisma--he might even want a 10 charisma. So now, you're either talking 36 point buy (which is above the DMG recommendation for a high powered campaign--I tried it in a home campaign and found it to be equivalent to a +1 or +2 ECL) or a fighter with a 14 strength (a very marginal proposition in 3.0e IME--more so in 3.5).

And even for the 14 int fighter you're talking about, the 12 ranks of sense motive represent 20-25% of his total skill points. For that, he ought to be difficult to bluff in combat. God knows he won't be difficult to fool in conversation (+16 vs +7).

Actually, having a totally lopsided add-on makes it less than "not automatic" and more into the realm of BAD CHOICE. If they had made BAB stack into BOTH SIDES, then the issue of "fighting prowess" would be reflected. Now it just ignores the bluffers fighting prowess.

The difficulty with this is that adding BAB to both sides would once again make the bluff automatic against anyone without maxed sense motive.

Take a best case scenario for the target (at 20th level, the BAB difference between the fighter and the rogue is at its greatest): 20th level rogue (23 ranks, +5 charisma, +15 BAB = +43)

Against a 20th level paladin (23 ranks, 18 wis, +20 BAB=+51) w/maxed sense motive he's unlikely to succeed and it's a bad choice. Then again, it should be. 23 ranks of sense motive isn't pocket change--especially not for a paladin.

Against a 20th level fighter with maxed sense motive (11 ranks, 12 wis, +20 BAB= +32), the rogue is unlikely to fail--making the 11 ranks of sense motive a very poor investment of 22 skill points.

Against a 20th level fighter without sense motive (+20 BAB, +1 wis=+21), it's impossible for the rogue to fail.

Lets use a better example to get this little point across.

My fighter spent by level 10 13 ranks on bluff so i CAN feint. Your fighter being meat-boy dropped his int to 8 and spent his skills on tavern knowledge. When i apply my +5 to my bluff roll to feitn you, you get a +10 due to your BAB. Your combat prowaess trumps my 13 skill ranks and my combat prowess which is equal to your is irrelevent.

This raises a very important question... which is "huh??"

Indeed it does. The "huh??" is coming not from the "what's up with this mechanic" side of the aisle but from the "what on earth is a single-classed fighter doing feinting another fighter--especially a meathead one?" side of the aisle. It's not as if you're likely to get more than an effective +1 to hit out of your standard (or ME if you wasted a feat) action. If you were a rogue it would be understandable since you get sneak attack. But not as a fighter.

Why doesn't combat prowess, if it is to be considered a relevent factor, count on both sides?

Why does a wizard who has a lower BAB get the bonus for combat prowess and the fighter attempting to bluff him get squat?

O do not think making fighting prowess a factor in the odds of sucess was a bad thing. i think making it an entirely one sided factor in the odds of success a bad thing.

That may be... however your suggestion would just make the bluff manuever go back to being a sure thing against anyone who doesn't have Sense motive as a class skill and max it out to boot.

Petrosian

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
If BAB was added to both sides, the gap would quickly become unassailable again.

Not really. looking at 10th level characters...

BAB vs BAB for fighter vs rogue is +3 in favor of the fighter.
Bluff class vs SM cc is 13 vs +6 for +7 in favor of the rogue.
Imp feint +4 vs focus sense motive +3 is +1 more in favor of the rogue.
Characteristic vs characteristic is up for grabs as it really depeends on point buy vs rolled and the focus of the character.

Net result is after 1 feat each and 13 ranks each and offsetting BABs the rogue has a +5 on the d20 opposed chech. This is far from unassailable.

This translates into the following...

the rogue can get one swing per round while staying at point blank and say 4 in 5 of these that hit will do sneak attack damage for an additional +5d6. The fighter at the same time will be swinging twice a round (if i had wanted to skew this in my favor more we would be talking level 11 and three swings and one more d6 of sneak.)

IMX, the notion of trading ONE sneak attack swing for the fighters full attack action is rarely a winning proposition for a rogue. At best its a break even. (Typically a spring attack in.out to flank so the trade off is sneak swing vs ONE swing is the better option.)

Now in 3.5 the above example turns into the rogue standing there and taking the full attacks but his feints only earning him sneak attacks about half the time. this is frankly close to suicide, i would nickname it "suicide by feint" myself.

Petrosian

First Post
Elder-Basilisk said:

That may be... however your suggestion would just make the bluff manuever go back to being a sure thing against anyone who doesn't have Sense motive as a class skill and max it out to boot.

Ok color me brain dead...

but...

by 10th level...

if one character has spent maxed skill points and a feat on doing this thing which involves a class skill...

and he is opposed by someone else who has nothing at all invested in this task...

shouldn't this be relatively an open and shut case.

R10 vs ftr10 in hide and seek.

rogue has +13 ranks and one feat spent for +2 to hide and sneak. We will add +3 for dex...

fighter has no ranks in spot listen...

the net +16 edge makes this a nigh automatic case.

if the fighter maxes out his spot listen and takes the alertness feat, the chances drop to +16 vs about +8... making it not a sure thing but still very much favoring the rogue.

U betcha pound for pound you will find this relative balance between class skill maxed vs cross class skill maxed or ignored plays itself out that way again and again and again with every opposed roll... except one...

Why is it wonderful, fine, and great for the rogue to be able to sneak around the fighter with impunity but not to feint him with similar investments in skills and feats?

Why does the attack's prowess with combat not matter a whit when the defender's does?

Making prowess matter on both sides would provide over 10 levels a difference of +0, +2, +3, or +5 depending on the relative differences in the characters prowess.

the game is balanced for skill after skill that by 10th level your chances of winning opposed rolls vs not-skilled opposition is almost guaranteed if you maxed the ranks and is still in your favor against a skill opposition for whom it is a cross class. The one exception is now feint, where the enemy's pro\wess in combat matters and yours does not.

Last edited:

drnuncheon

Explorer
Petrosian said:
Ok color me brain dead...
but...
by 10th level...
if one character has spent maxed skill points and a feat on doing this thing which involves a class skill...
and he is opposed by someone else who has nothing at all invested in this task...
shouldn't this be relatively an open and shut case.

But the fighter doesn't have 'nothing at all invested in this task'. He's got 10 levels of fighter invested in this task. That's why the change happened. Someone who is a professional warrior shouldn't have to spend all of their skill ranks on a cross-class skill to not be fooled by a first-level characer

And really, it is pretty open and shut if the fighter has 'nothing invested': if you take a rogue with maxxed out Bluff and Improved Feint, he's going to have a +7-10 over the fighter of equal level, depending on relative stats. I know I wouldn't be counting on beating those odds on a regular basis - but there's still a chance - whereas with the old way it was literally impossible by the time you got to the mid-levels.

The improvement is in the fact that Lord Grimthews the Potent, 20th level war machine can no longer be easily feinted by Jim, halfling Rog1.

J

Petrosian

First Post
drnuncheon said:

But the fighter doesn't have 'nothing at all invested in this task'. He's got 10 levels of fighter invested in this task. That's why the change happened. Someone who is a professional warrior shouldn't have to spend all of their skill ranks on a cross-class skill to not be fooled by a first-level characer

Absolutely...

the fighter's BAB applies because combat prowess SHOULD affect the chance of success.

But...

the rogue is at least a semi-professional fighter with 10 levels also devoted to this task, 7 of whom advanced his BAB.

His melee prowess is less than the fighter, but still should apply.

Should a professional fighter with all his profession prowess be ONLY AS GOOD at feinting as a wizard? For both its a cross class skill using not their main attribute and the wizard would likely have more skill points.

Since feinting does not allow either to use their BAB, the wizard will likely be as good at it.

Again, I think they did a good thing in answering all those cries from 3e players about fighters not being able to work well in the feinting department. They just seem to have made a knee jerk one sided illogical fix. Melee prowess should matter... but it should matter on both sides.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
:confused: Sense Motive includes Wis bonus, and Bluff includes Cha bonus.

You're mentally inserting brackets in the wrong place.

He thinks it should be (BAB + Wis), or Sense Motive.

Not BAB + (Wis or Sense Motive).

-Hyp.

Remove ads