D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] The New Charge *sigh*

DevoutlyApathetic

First Post
I just picked up my 3.5 books and in my skimming I noticed they changed charge a bit...

-Must move into the nearest square you can attack the charged enemy from

-Rules for determining 'a clear path'

-Friends block charges

Gah. The worst thing is that anybody with a touch of rules savy will simply Overrun the friend in the way. An unopposed overrun still have no down side for either party.

Not a happy first thing to catch my eye. Second was that standing up from prone provokes now. I suppose at least we now have rules for crawling...

theoremtank

First Post
I thought that standing up from prone had always provoked an attack of opportunity. This isn't new to 3.5. Can anyone back me up on this?

Mercule

Adventurer
Really, I don't see anything different from how we play charges now.

On a side note, you are aware of the irony of someone labeled as "Devoutly Apathetic" actually starting a thread, much less taking a stand on an issue?

dcollins

Explorer
theoremtank -- 3.0 PHB, p. 128, "Stand up from prone -- AOO: No."

However, apparently in d20 Modern it's always provoked an AOO.

Cabaras

First Post
theoremtank said:
I thought that standing up from prone had always provoked an attack of opportunity. This isn't new to 3.5. Can anyone back me up on this?

Fraid not. The old chart in the PHB for actions clearly states no AoO.

Not that I mind it causing an AoO...before standing up always seemed pretty darn easy. ;) I do want to know how this affects Improved Trip -- does that character now get two bonus attacks (the original, and the AoO when the person tries to stand back up?)

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
DevoutlyApathetic said:
I just picked up my 3.5 books and in my skimming I noticed they changed charge a bit...

-Must move into the nearest square you can attack the charged enemy from

-Rules for determining 'a clear path'

-Friends block charges

Gah. The worst thing is that anybody with a touch of rules savy will simply Overrun the friend in the way. An unopposed overrun still have no down side for either party.

Not a happy first thing to catch my eye. Second was that standing up from prone provokes now. I suppose at least we now have rules for crawling...

I think this is a great change. It makes the charge seem more realistic rather than having the person run into a side square or something.

The 'clear path' is how a charge should be. Running full speed at an enemy and swinging as hard as you can muster should be dangerous if the path is not clear.

I was tired for along time of being able to run through friends squares with no ill effect. C'mon now, even allies should impede movement. It isn't like they are going to make sure they get out of the way of your screaming charge.

If your party is doing unopposed overruns for such a cheesy reason, then it is the player's who have a problem. Hand them some Cheetos and dock them some experience.

Overall, this sounds like a good clarification for using the Charge action.

Last edited:

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
On the standing from prone issue, they should have added the task from OA for the tumble skill. I can't remember precisely but I think it was DC 25 or maybe just 20 to stand up from prone as a free action. This is a bit good, so you could just make it the same DC to avoid an AoO from prone.

Remove ads