D&D 3E/3.5 3.5:Trip as an AoO?

Deitus

First Post
Hello everyone,

Ok I know that trip is legal as an AoO, and i know that it is possible for it to provoke an AoO in return.
(at least I think I do, been flip-flopping back and forth between 3.0 and 3.5 since last thursday)

Now, the result of a successful trip as an AoO on sombody leaving my threatened areais, he is prone.

Can he now stand up by using his still remaining attack action and that is it, since tripping him used up his Move action?

or

Can he get up by using his move action and still move by using his attack action(MEA).?

Or

Does he have all his actions used up from the successful trip, and he lies prone until his next action?

Please someone really answer this.

I'm starting to loose it.

And if that gets answered I got another one for ya.

Deitus

dcollins

Explorer
Be sure you don't actually "lose" it!

This is actually not answered in the rules anywhere, so the DM will need to make the call. Personally, I have this sort of interruption ruin the current action but grant them any remaining action(s).

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
It gets even worse with feats like Stand Still, which "end the movement" of a creature. Does it end that move action, or all movement for the round? If the Stand Stilled creature still has his Standard action remaining, can he carry on moving?

-Hyp.

What dcollins said. Or, with greater verbosity:

You get two actions per round. You were tripped either as you took your first or your second action, depending on what provoked the AoO and when it occurred. If you were tripped in response to your first action, you can use your other action to get up. If it was in response to your second action, you have no actions left and cannot get up until next round.

For instance, let's say you are hustling (double move) past a foe in such a way that provokes an AoO and are tripped. To determine whether you have movement left to get up, just check the distance from your starting position to the square into which you tried to move when you provoked the AoO. If that is equal to your movement speed or less, then you had another move left and can use it to get up instead. If it was greater than your move speed, then you were already into your second move when you got tripped, and have no movement left, even if you have a speed of 100 and were just 5' into that second move when it happened.

Here's a question: What happens if you are tripped in reaction to casting a spell? Do you automatically lose the spell, or do you get some kind of concentration check to see if you can pull it off as you fall to the floor or even while you're on the floor? If a successful trip guarantees a foiled spell, it may be a good tactic in lieu of a standard damaging attack against casters who may have lots of ranks in concentration, but not necessarily good strength or dexterity.

Remove ads