3.5 Versus 4E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramen

First Post
My favorite edition will always be a heavily house ruled 1st edition with 3rd edition coming in second place and 2nd edition coming in 3rd. I didn't buy into 4th not because it was a bad system but because it didn't have the flavor I prefer.

I do have to say that is actually a very good game and people are going to prefer it to the other editions. That's the nature of Roleplaying games and system preference. Preference has never equaled better if it did Vanilla would be the only ice cream flavor available since it's the best selling. Personally I like chocolate chip but hate Mint chocolate chip.

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
I've been playing since 1E and I loooove 4E.
Yea, it is a pretty big departure from 3E.

Enjoy your favorite version and play the crap out of it. ;)

MortonStromgal

First Post
Thinking the way I'm thinking, I find it strange that 4E is as popular as it is. Because it really gives me the feeling of an MMO, and I love those, but I play those on the computer, not with pen and paper.

So i have two friends we'll call them b1 and b2 who both really like 4e.
B1 never played D&D without gobs of house rules because hes not into powerful casters, he likes 4e because his fighter can contribute at high level.
B2 likes 4e because hes a min/maxer and always got his ideas shut down in 3e because he outshined the other players too much (I min max a bit to and I have a tough time keeping up with him in 3e and I was a cleric, granted he was a wizard, but by teen levels he was the party the rest of us are not needed and/or his minions). Hes has this problem in 4e as well but to a much lesser extent.

Last edited:

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
I had 4 people I played D&D with, and like a lot of people 2nd edition was where I started off. Then once 3E came, we started playing that, then 3.5...
This pretty much describes my role playing history as well!

I know 3.5 isn't a perfect system, but it's perfect enough for me.
And this pretty much describes my feelings about 4e. It's by far my favorite D&D, and it very well might be the game I'm still playing fifty years from now. :)

PS: Be prepared for this thread to end badly.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Sorry for the thread. I wasn't intending on starting any kind of argument. I know I'm late, it was actually something that was brought up this weekend so I wanted to get other peoples take on what they prefer and why. I'm more curious as to why some people enjoy 4E more.

I understand that it wasn't a deliberate attempt to stir up controversy, but threads of this nature are likely to lead there so I'm afraid I'm going to pre-emptively close this one down.

Perhaps it would be worth posting about your games, and/or the things you like, and don't worry about the comparisons bit at the moment while you get a feel for the forums once more?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads