D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5]Weapon Finesse & Double Weapons

Ranger REG

Explorer
Vanye said:

When using Weapon Finesse, since the feat now applies to any weapon that qualifies, do you get to use your Dex modifier for the secondary attack with a double weapon, since that qualifies as a light weapon?
Sorry, but unless the double weapon is actually a light weapon (as defined in the rules), it cannot benefit from Weapon Finesse. IOW, look at the weapon size as a whole, not in part or the benefit it offers.

LokiDR said:

Honestly, it shouldn't matter. A character dual wielding a longsword and short sword should be the same as a character using a double weapon. The short sword of the former dual wielder is finessable, so I see no problem with the off-hand attack for the double weapon being finessable.

A character wielding a two-bladed sword isn't wielding a longsword and a shortsword; he's wielding two longswords, but gets a reduced penalty to attack in return for spending the exotic weapon proficiency.

Would you suggest a character wielding two longswords should be allowed to finesse his off-hand attacks?

It would be, IMO, a bit ridiculous to allow Weapon Finesse to apply to your off-hand attack with a double-weapon. I mean, for a high dexterity fellow, it means it'll be easier for him to hit with his off-hand than his primary hand!

TS

LokiDR

First Post
Olgar Shiverstone said:

Would you suggest a character wielding two longswords should be allowed to finesse his off-hand attacks?

If you took a feat for that second longsword, sure.:D

Last edited:

LokiDR

First Post
Darklone said:
Doubleweapons already cost less feats than any two (different) weapon combo...

In 3.5, the double weapon needs 2 feats (two weapon fighting and exotic weapon prof) compared to 1 feat (TWF) to be effective. I don't see how that is a lower cost.

Remove ads