D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] What About Absolute Darkness

What level would you make an "absolute darkness" spell?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 9.5%

Votes: 3 14.3%

Votes: 9 42.9%

Votes: 7 33.3%

Jhyrryl

First Post
Since darkness (2nd-level) and deeper darkness (3rd-level) now only generate an area of "shadowy illumination", granting concealment to anyone in that area, what level would you make an absolute darkness spell that duplicated the old 3.0 version of darkness?

Kae'Yoss

First Post
They don't use different degrees of cover or concealment anymore, only normal and total (normal concealment is 20%, normal cover is AC +4 and Ref +2). The books have optional rules for other degrees, though.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
Urgh... I've only had my books for a few hours and hadn't noticed this change. After playing 3E for a couple of years with next to no house rules (Sor skills... and that's it) it looks like I'll be having a few with this ruleset....

the Jester

Legend
Hmm, it's kind of like a mass blindness effect... blindness is 2nd, mass should be about +3 levels...

I'd say the advantage of it not being permanent is balanced against the lack of a saving throw or SR, too.

Tellerve

hm, at first I was going to say man they took out darkness. But then I thought about it and I think that this idea is pretty neat imho. Also, it fixes perhaps those builds where someone could see through the darkness somehow and then would carry a continual darkness stone and just hammer on people. This would be an eerie shadowy world.

*shrugs* I like it, but I guess I'm starting to be a 3.5 fanboy as even the most harsh changes I'm coming around to.

Tellerve

EDIT: although it does raise the question that you could just throw down this darkness and then run away as they'd see you, albeit shadowy you. Although it would allow you to hide...i think, although you could be considered to be in view. hmmm

Last edited:

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
The poll should have an option for "none." I prefer the new darkness effects, and will not be adding the old ones back in.

Jhyrryl

First Post
The more things change...the more they change.

If a mod wants to edit the poll to include an "I wouldn't add it" option, I'm not going to object. :)

It's interesting how changes like this will impact play. Some of the most interesting combats I've been in (both from a DM's and a player's perspective), have been the result of someone trying to escape by covering their tracks via some kind of obfuscation effect. Most recently was a vampire sorc using darkness to move between buildings in the middle of the day. The first casting was on a coin that was tossed out the door (which subsequently wasted 2 flame strikes and a fireball), and the second got him to the door of the other building (but not inside).

This version of darkness would have been much more difficult to do that with, if not impossible. I'd rule that shadowy illumination doesn't effect creatures like orcs who have sensitivity to sunlight, but what about a vamp?

Remove ads