D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] What About Absolute Darkness

What level would you make an "absolute darkness" spell?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 9.5%

Votes: 3 14.3%

Votes: 9 42.9%

Votes: 7 33.3%

Stalker0

Legend
wolfen said:

"Shadowy darkness" -- what kinda crap is that? At least I know what absolute darkness is. I don't think this helps anything but miniature play (ie, WOTC $$$). Why screw up my game for their profits?

Have you never been inside an alleyway? Shadowy darkness is just that, it partly conceals someone.

"Ok, so it's shadowy. Can I trip him?"
"Kinda...but it's dark."
"What, like I see a dark blob or can I make out his legs?"
"Hmm...kinda...but it sure is 'shadowy'"

Sure you can see his legs, but with the movement its a bit hard to make out, roll a miss change. Seems easy to me.

I think the change is neither good nor bad... but different. Its a mixed blessing, while you know longer have as much stealth, it makes it a heck of a lot easier to do stealthy things when you can actually see!! Recently we had an encounter with drow attacking a camp. They cast darkness all over the place, and then had a jolly good time fumbling over in their own darkness trying to kill us:) Now, they cast darkness and move in. They get hit less, and thanks to their poison, only need to hit once. They can see everyone, so they can move in quickly and efficiently, which in my mind is how drow work.

Also, this change makes darkness a very interesting protection spell.

Fighter: "You have any fireballs left?"
Mage: "Yeah, a couple."
Fighter: "Cast darkness, I might have a little harder time with them, but somehow I don't think your fireballs will mind the darkness."

Fighter: "Damn, its an invisible rogue, he just got me in the back!!"
Mage: "I cast darkness"
Fighter: "What!! Now its harder for me to see!!"
Mage: "I know, but him too. And somehow I feel more comfortable in a situation where I get hit 20% less and turn a 10d6 attack into 1d6, but to each his own."

drnuncheon

Explorer
I was going to suggest basing the 'total darkness' off of fog cloud...but then I realized...

Darkness: 2nd level, touch, 20' radius, 10 min/lvl
Fog Cloud: 2nd level, medium range, 20' radius, 10 min/lvl

...oops.

J

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
In what way? Now rogues with Improved Precise Shot can sneak attack to their hearts' content in Deeper Darkness. And the "let's avoid sneak attacks" aspect of darkness spells was filled by Obscuring Mist in 3e.

(Psi)SeveredHead said:
BTW doesn't this actually nerf rogues?

Only a high-level rogue can use Improved Precise Shot, and only if their opponent has lost their Dex bonus to AC.

Obscuring Mist interferes with the caster's vision, unless they have True Seeing. Blur still works, though.

Remove ads