D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Wildshape

Spenser

First Post
A separate wildshape question: what about the HD limit?

Standard polymorph has a 15HD cap. However, a 20th level druid can wildshape into a Huge elemental. The weakest Huge elemental in the MM is 16HD -- so does that mean the 15HD cap is obviated? And if so, is that just for elemental forms, or for animal forms as well?

youspoonybard

First Post
While I concur it is poorly worded, I think the line "The new form's Hit Dice can't exceed the character's Druid level" overrides the Polymorph line, with the level 15 cap. After all, it's the same line, really, except for the cap.

And yes, this would work for plant, animal, and elemental Wild Shape.

Spenser

First Post
Hmmm, that's what I was thinking too.

So I guess this means: look out for the 18th level Tyrannosaurus Druid, coming to a campaign near you...

youspoonybard

First Post
Well...
Magic Fang is still +4 at that point...

And don't ever underestimate the power of Elemental Wild Shape. Elemental type is sick, you get all of the feats/abilities, DR 5/-, excellent movement types...

Last edited:

Dimwhit

Explorer
On another Wildshape note, Natural Spell is the absolute must-have feat now. It was much improved in 3.5. Now you can also use material components and foci (sp?) that have been melded into your new form. So, basically, every single spell on the list if fair game to cast while in animal form. That's incredibly nice.

I have a question for you all, though. My Druid has a Wilding Clasp (from MotW). He changes into a bear most often. Wildshape now allows some items to not meld and be usable in with the new form, while others meld and are non-functional. So what types of items do you think a Druid could still use in bear form? Rings? Amulets? Cloaks? I'd think armor and weapons would meld and not be usable. I'm just trying to decide what I would still use the Wilding Clasp for, since I don't have to have everything lost when I wildshape. I'm thinking if I ever got a pearl of power, that would be a great choice. But what kind of more common items would stay usable now?

Number47

First Post
Another great feat, possibly even must have, for druids is the Augment Summoning feat. With spells convertible to summon natures ally, I think a druid would get a lot of mileage out of this.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
youspoonybard said:
Well...
Magic Fang is still +4 at that point...

And don't ever underestimate the power of Elemental Wild Shape. Elemental type is sick, you get all of the feats/abilities, DR 10/-, excellent movement types...

Are you sure? Again, this is part of the type-change confusion. DR is an extraordinary special quality, so you shouldn't get it. Elemental traits are special qualities. And the polymorph description doesn't, near as I can tell, mention gaining the feats of the new form.

'Course, if you don't gain the feats, things get even more complicated: a rhino's base damage is a result of the Improved Natural Weapon feat, meaning that a druid who wildshapes into a rhinoceros needs to consult that feat's chart in order to reverse-engineer it and figure out how much damage she should really be doing as a rhino. Druids who wildshape into weapon-finessing critters need to reverse-engineer their attack bonuses. And so forth.

Daniel

Dimwhit

Explorer
Are you sure? Again, this is part of the type-change confusion. DR is an extraordinary special quality, so you shouldn't get it. Elemental traits are special qualities. And the polymorph description doesn't, near as I can tell, mention gaining the feats of the new form.

It's in the wildshape description. In elemental form, Druids get all EX, SP, and SU abilities. So, basically, everything. Just for elementals, though.

Edit: the Druid also gets the elemental's feats.

Last edited:

youspoonybard

First Post
Get Dragonhide Full Plate Wild Armor +5 : P

Hmmmm...Andy said "if there was any idea that the new form could wear the equipment, let 'em keep it".

Looking at the DMG

Headband seems ok. Hat, helmet, probably.
Eye lenses - good
amulet slot seems fine in bear form
Vest, vestment or shirt probably
Robe/suit of armor - no. the robe may work.
belt - sure
cloak/cape/mantle - sure
bracers/bracelets - sure
rings - bears have fingers, and rings resize. Might be a little uncomfortable, but sure
gloves - i suppose so. bears have hands. dunno about this one.
boots/shoes - see gloves.

Bear form looks to be pretty compatible to me.

IMC, I'm making equipment that has magical runes inscribed on it. Normal equipment melds, Runed equipment stays if possible. Makes the Druid work a little harder, but also allows her some customizability, eventually. (Do I want to hide as an animal, or fight as an animal...)

Last edited:

Remove ads