D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Wildshape

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Dimwhit said:
I have a question for you all, though. My Druid has a Wilding Clasp (from MotW). He changes into a bear most often. Wildshape now allows some items to not meld and be usable in with the new form, while others meld and are non-functional. So what types of items do you think a Druid could still use in bear form? Rings? Amulets? Cloaks? I'd think armor and weapons would meld and not be usable. I'm just trying to decide what I would still use the Wilding Clasp for, since I don't have to have everything lost when I wildshape. I'm thinking if I ever got a pearl of power, that would be a great choice. But what kind of more common items would stay usable now?

Note that your clasp only works on cloaks, amulets, or similar items -- no way would I let you use it on a Pearl of Power. If you were sneaky, though, you could put the pearl in a pouch strung around your neck and use the clasp on that.

Andy Collins wrote somewhere that he'd be inclined to rule very liberally on the retention of magic items when wildshaped. In your example, I think a liberal intepretation would allow amulets and cloaks to still be used, but not rings (since bears have huge paws that aren't suited to rings). Earrings would be a great kind of item for druids, suddenly.

Personally, I dislike this (bitch bitch bitch, I know): druids wearing all kinds of equipment in their different forms just seems silly to me.

Daniel

Dimwhit

Explorer
Personally, I dislike this (bitch bitch bitch, I know): druids wearing all kinds of equipment in their different forms just seems silly to me.

I actually agree with you. I got the Wilding Clasp originally to hold my divine focus so I could use it with Natural Spell. Now that's not necessary, so I thought I'd put it to some use. My Druid just doesn't have much magic to keep in Wildshape, but since I have an open WC, I thought I'd find something good to use it for. I didn't realize it could only be used for cloaks, amulets and such, though. Maybe I'll just sell the clasp and go naked, so to speak. Druids in Wildshape can dish out some nasty damage without need any magic items at all.

Iku Rex

Explorer
youspoonybard said:
If your primary attack was "Claw", you'd get Claw Claw (assuming the animal has 2 claw attacks in their Full Attack Sequence, I think most of em do), at Full BAB and full str damage, and Bite at -5 to that, with 1/2 str damage.

Do you have an SRD reference for this claim? (That is, "polymorph grants the natural attack routines of the new from".)

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Iku Rex said:

Do you have an SRD reference for this claim? (That is, "polymorph grants the natural attack routines of the new from".)

Polymorph:

This spell functions like alter self, except...

(no relevant exceptions listed)

Alter Self:
You acquire the physical qualities of the new form while retaining your own mind. Physical qualities include natural size, mundane movement capabilities (such as burrowing, climbing, walking, swimming, and flight with wings, to a maximum speed of 120 feet for flying or 60 feet for nonflying movement), natural armor bonus, natural weapons (such as claws, bite, and so on), racial skill bonuses, racial bonus feats, and any gross physical qualities (presence or absence of wings, number of extremities, and so forth). A body with extra limbs does not allow you to make more attacks (or more advantageous two-weapon attacks) than normal.

The bolded sentence provides evidence of the gaining of natural attacks; the last sentence throws it into doubt.

Stupid new wildshape rules!
Daniel

youspoonybard

First Post
Nope. Nothing is said about attack sequences at all in 3.5, and therefore I think everyone gets them, as per the MM page 312 "Natural Weapons" description.

The penalty with using Polymorph appears to be being nonproficient in natural weapons, rather than not getting the attack routine.

Lord Ben

First Post
It seems goofy to me that a Druid can use two hands in a claw, claw attack without penalty but a Monk has to use flurry of blows. No longer is a Monk the master of unarmed combat!

Remove ads