D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5e] Fixing the Sorcerer

wolfen

First Post
I'm playing a 3.5 Sorceror. Personally, I think the Wizard is overpowered compared with the Sorceror.

Counterspelling -- Wizards can learn every spell and therefore counter every spell. If you know an enemy arcane spellcaster's main threats (or your party's particular weaknesses) you can prepare much better.

Familiar --> Why would a Wizard HAVE a familiar? When you consider that CHARISMA is the basis for attracting other beings,etc. then either (A) The Wizard should not get a familiar by default or (B) the sorceror should get Improved Familiar by default. This is consistent with the rest of the 3.5 system.

Spell Thematics --> Why would an innate magical power have to look like a studied spell? EVERY sorceror spell is a natural self-expression of an innate power. As such, it should be distinctive and less easily identified by Wizards. (and vice versa)

Skills --> A Wizard will get more skill points than a magically-equal sorceror. The answer to this is simple -- give the sorceror more charisma-based class skills. Wizards have to hole themselves up for long periods of time studying. It is natural to assume that sorcerors don't have to do so as much, and are developing other skills among other people. This should count for something.

Diplomacy, Bluff, Intimidate should all be class skills.

Charisma--> Sorcerors don't specialize in a school. But it would be logical that any humanoid-oriented mind-affecting spell would be more powerful in the hands of a charismatic sorceror. If Diplomacy and Intimidate benefit from Charisma, why wouldn't spells like "Suggestion"?

Sorcerors also get the shaft because Craft skills and feats favor Wizards. Again, giving more weight to Charisma in mind-affecting spells could be a counterbalance to this situation.

You can say the Sorceror's preparatory advantage is a huge benefit, but in most play it is not. Most DM's simply allow time for the mage to prepare the right spells before attacking Monster X.

wolfen

buzz

Adventurer
EDIT: Becasue Korimyr the Rat has rightly pointed out that I am a doofus. :)

For the record, I don't have huge problems with the sorcerer, though I'm liking Monte's version more and more.

Last edited:

buzz

Adventurer
Korimyr the Rat said:
Eschew Materials is a General feat in 3.5, so it doesn't affect casting time.

Damn the subtleties of this revision!!!

Or was it always like that? :)

Apologies, folks.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
buzz said:

Damn the subtleties of this revision!!!

Or was it always like that? :)

Apologies, folks.

It's a revision. They also removed the prerequisite of one other metamagic feat, so it can be taken at first level.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
The extra Feats may be powerful, but they're at least some incentive to keep taking Sorcerer levels as opposed to Prestige Class levels.

How about this:

Sorcerer Bonus Feats by Level:
1) Eschew Materials
5) Spell Thematics
10, 15, 20) Any Metamagic

-- Nifft

Shadowind

First Post
The way I see it Sorcerers vs Wizards is like this:
Wizards:
  • Wider selection of spells
  • Gain new levels of spells faster
  • 5 free metamagic feats
  • Can use Quicken Spell
  • Intelligence is a much better ability to have as a a primary attribute than Charisma
Sorcerers:
  • Spontaneous casting
  • More spells per day

To me Wizards get alot of better stuff so I propose that Sorcs get:
  • Ability to use Quicken Spell
  • Spell levels at the same rate (but not more spells than they already do)
  • Eschew Materials is nice for flavor

So basically NIfft's spell progression and the ability to use one of the better metamagic feats are the core of what needs to be done.

Corlon

First Post
Shadowind said:
[*]Intelligence is a much better ability to have as a a primary attribute than Charisma

:eek: *Gasp*:eek: I actually find Cha to be a very useful if more fun ability than intelligence.:cool:

But anyways, I find the wizard and sorcerer to be fairly balanced, but I think they should get the eschew materials is nice because I always hated using spell components, spell thematics is neat
plus, because of the Cha attribute, I think it makes sorcerers natural diplomats and such so I vote.

lv1 = eschew materials
lv5 = thematics
and the sorcerer gets skills such as diplomacy, intimidate, and bluff as class skills (sorcerers might have gotten some of these in 3.5, so mabye this isn't neccessary.

my 2 cents
-Peaches

glass

(he, him)
wolfen said:

Counterspelling -- Wizards can learn every spell and therefore counter every spell. If you know an enemy arcane spellcaster's main threats (or your party's particular weaknesses) you can prepare much better.

Wizards have to have a spell perpared to use it to counterspell. This is actually an advantage for the sorcerer.

Skills --> A Wizard will get more skill points than a magically-equal sorceror. The answer to this is simple -- give the sorceror more charisma-based class skills. Wizards have to hole themselves up for long periods of time studying. It is natural to assume that sorcerors don't have to do so as much, and are developing other skills among other people. This should count for something.

So, intellient people who study lots shouldn't get more skills? OK

You can say the Sorceror's preparatory advantage is a huge benefit, but in most play it is not. Most DM's simply allow time for the mage to prepare the right spells before attacking Monster X.

Not IME. Anyway, that is only one of the huge benefits sorceres get over wizards. The other is the much greater number of spells per day.

Anyway, I'd say they were pretty well balanced, but if anyone has an advantage in terms of raw power, it isn't the wizard.

glass.

Remove ads