Level Up (A5E) 3.99 Edition

dave2008

Legend
I'd like to see the classic saves return. There was never anything wrong with them to begin with, and it makes more sense than how saves currently work. You need only 3 saves, no more, no less.
You realize that is not the classic saves right? The classic AD&D's saves are:
  • Paralyzation, Poison or Death Magic
  • Petrification or Polymorph
  • Rod, Staff or Wand
  • Breath Weapon
  • Spell

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Edition warring is so 2007! It really hasn't been a major problem for about a decade. We haven't really moderated it here for at least that long (though now I say that, it's gonna suddenly explode and get all out of hand and we'll have to start doing it again!)
Grab your edition rifles and get back to the edition trenches everyone, the edition UN isn’t enforcing the edition treaties!

...I'd like to see the classic saves return. There was never anything wrong with them to begin with, and it makes more sense than how saves currently work. You need only 3 saves, no more, no less...

It might be interesting to do the 3e Fort/Ref/Will saves but let you apply the higher of two specific stat mods to the saves (Fort = Str or Con, Ref = Dex or Int, Will = Wis or Cha). It'd let you apply any attribute to a save as in 5e, and reduce the multiple-attribute-dependency of some classes by letting you get better saves from multiple builds, but you wouldn't have to worry about trying to work effects into the game that require six kinds of saves, and it'd be easier to balance the saves against each other.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
It might be interesting to do the 3e Fort/Ref/Will saves but let you apply the higher of two specific stat mods to the saves (Fort = Str or Con, Ref = Dex or Int, Will = Wis or Cha). It'd let you apply any attribute to a save as in 5e, and reduce the multiple-attribute-dependency of some classes by letting you get better saves from multiple builds, but you wouldn't have to worry about trying to work effects into the game that require six kinds of saves, and it'd be easier to balance the saves against each other.
I'm not a fan of making saves any easier on the PCs than they already are. With a choice of two attributes, the chance of success on a save would go up significantly on average.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases