D&D 5E 3 Classic Settings Coming To 5E?

On the D&D Celebration – Sunday, Inside the D&D Studio with Liz Schuh and Ray Winninger, Winninger said that WotC will be shifting to a greater emphasis on settings in the coming years. This includes three classic settings getting active attention, including some that fans have been actively asking for. He was cagey about which ones, though. The video below is an 11-hour video, but the...

On the D&D Celebration – Sunday, Inside the D&D Studio with Liz Schuh and Ray Winninger, Winninger said that WotC will be shifting to a greater emphasis on settings in the coming years.

This includes three classic settings getting active attention, including some that fans have been actively asking for. He was cagey about which ones, though.

The video below is an 11-hour video, but the information comes in the last hour for those who want to scrub through.

Additionally, Liz Schuh said there would be more anthologies, as well as more products to enhance game play that are not books.

Winninger mentioned more products aimed at the mainstream player who can't spend immense amount of time absorbing 3 tomes.

Ray and Liz confirmed there will be more Magic: The Gathering collaborations.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I would think they would be in a DS setting book (which I see as more likely than a Nentir Vale book)
I think someone above outlined why DS might have problems being updated.

I really do not care how I get them I just need them as they are the closest I have ever gotten to a race that makes sense to me.

When it comes to Planescape, I think the Factions and Post-Modernism are very much the cornerstones of the setting. Many say they're interested in a Planar book, but aren't too much interested in either of those. Planescape had both a mix of the factions and philosophy, and weird places to go to. I'm certain a 5e setting of Planescape would water down a lot of things Planescape had, though I would not be opposed to it coming out in 5e. For something to be truly Planescape, it needs to be a fully-realized setting book, and not an add-in resource like the Manual of Planes has often been.

Already I can see there being less in-character narration in such a book, and toning down the cant so it's easier to read. As much as I feel the "voice" of the setting out of many named narrators is Tarsheva Longreach a jaded veteran Aasimar planewalker, I feel she isn't going to be embraced as the representative of a book on the planes.

I could see them bringing the factions back, whether it be the timeline before Faction War and Die Vecna Die (that adventure was basically let's blowup 2e to make way for 3e), rebooting it or advancing the timeline to the point where the factions just come back. But they also could try to downplay the factions to keep Sigil as a safe and easy place to drop in for side adventures in anyone's existing campaign.

When it comes to Planescape, I think the Factions and Post-Modernism are very much the cornerstones of the setting. Many say they're interested in a Planar book, but aren't too much interested in either of those. Planescape had both a mix of the factions and philosophy, and weird places to go to. I'm certain a 5e setting of Planescape would water down a lot of things Planescape had, though I would not be opposed to it coming out in 5e. For something to be truly Planescape, it needs to be a fully-realized setting book, and not an add-in resource like the Manual of Planes has often been.

Already I can see there being less in-character narration in such a book, and toning down the cant so it's easier to read. As much as I feel the "voice" of the setting out of many named narrators is Tarsheva Longreach a jaded veteran Aasimar planewalker, I feel she isn't going to be embraced as the representative of a book on the planes.

I could see them bringing the factions back, whether it be the timeline before Faction War and Die Vecna Die (that adventure was basically let's blowup 2e to make way for 3e), rebooting it or advancing the timeline to the point where the factions just come back. But they also could try to downplay the factions to keep Sigil as a safe and easy place to drop in for side adventures in anyone's existing campaign.
I think the Factions are inevitably going to be less of a focus, but they actually provide so much potential for adventure and intrigue and just goddamn fun and frolics and shenanigans, that they need to exist in Sigil. Maybe they aren't usually player characters anymore, maybe we don't a kit-equivalent for each one, but they should exist, and be inside Sigil, and vying for dominance and so on. Anything but the three-letter acronym places of the 4E DMG2.
look I have never played Planescape but I know what stupid sounds like, Planescape needs crazy in the same way I need air and the factions brought crazy ideally I would add more and improve the less well like factions.
Yeah pretty much exactly how I felt. The last thing Planescape needed was less factions and more organised government bureaucracy.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Which I would love.

I mean, the sad truth is that you can't really do DS nowadays. For starters, there's the issue of slavery.
I think more people would be OK with slavers being the kill-on-sight bad guys. But you could be right and it might be a step too far, considering how sanctioned and normalized it is in the setting.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
That's how Mike Mearls defined it, and I think he definitely wasn't talking about Conan. I think he was going thinking of a more zany pulp. It's the D&D setting where "lost worlds", robots, and animal people fit best.
All due respect to Mike Mearls, but that's wrong for the world as a whole. There are definitely regions it's true of, but Mystara is a crazy quilt of tones.

If the Factions from Planescape are going to be player material, the mechanics for them are going to resemble what we got in Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica and Mythic Odysseys of Theros.

Remove ads

Remove ads