D&D 5E 3 Classic Settings Coming To 5E?

On the D&D Celebration – Sunday, Inside the D&D Studio with Liz Schuh and Ray Winninger, Winninger said that WotC will be shifting to a greater emphasis on settings in the coming years.

This includes three classic settings getting active attention, including some that fans have been actively asking for. He was cagey about which ones, though.

The video below is an 11-hour video, but the information comes in the last hour for those who want to scrub through.

Additionally, Liz Schuh said there would be more anthologies, as well as more products to enhance game play that are not books.

Winninger mentioned more products aimed at the mainstream player who can't spend immense amount of time absorbing 3 tomes.

Ray and Liz confirmed there will be more Magic: The Gathering collaborations.

Nymrod

Explorer
How 1st level PCs could get a (very expensive) spelljamming helm? how to prepare encounters where PCs can shoot giant monsters with canons or giant crossbows from the spelljamming helm?
They can always start as crew members on someone else's ship and inherit it along the way.

I don't know why you suppose churchs should be killing tieflings (and you're not the first to suggest this). There's plenty of myths and legends about heroic figures with demonic ancestry. Look at the story of Merlin. He's born as a hellspawn but because he's baptised as birth by a priest and hence his demonic destiny is averted. Why do so many people want their religious figures genocidal?
Its a popular cliche. Eberron had a similar issue: The creator introduced a large church centred around protection of innocents from evil, so naturally some of the supplementary writers depicted it as a corrupt and autocratic institution full of intolerance and extremism.

I mean there are always Eberron Gnomes. Those seem fairly popular and are clearly defined (with the Trust being a very unique take on a society that is actually non-evil)
And Warcraft gnomes ARE tinker gnomes that are mostly used for comic relief. Heck their devices malfunction most of the time too.
Warcraft gnomes also have the tragedy to them which is explored in a few places, albeit not much. But, there is more to them than just 'tinkering'

Also they're countered against the goblins, where its "When gnomish devices malfunction its not too bad, when goblin devices malfunction you just explode"

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
Or because the inbuilt stereotypes in a race let people tell a story. Tieflings for example have been practically adopted by the LGBT audience due to their story being "You're born looking like this and people don't like it for things outside of your control, but you triumph above it" which, y'know, is a resounding story (plus also certain things both queer-coding villains and adding devilish features to them which leads to it sort of reinforcing it)

You want to play as an outcast from their society, rebelling against their rules? Well, why the piss would you pick a human when that is literately in-built in being Drow?

Its not 'halloween costumes', its because people like the ideas or messages these races provided and want to play them in a fantasy game and explore things through other lenses

Wow, I didn't really connect the fact that I'm currently playing a tiefling born to human parent, rejected by her family and village, who just happens to now as an adult also be figuring out her sexuality. Your post gave me feels that I was not prepared to deal with today.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
Wow, I didn't really connect the fact that I'm currently playing a tiefling born to human parent, rejected by her family and village, who just happens to now as an adult also be figuring out her sexuality. Your post gave me feels that I was not prepared to deal with today.
I didn't realise it myself until I came upon a post on Twitter where someone said it.

The replies were all people going "I didn't even realise this how did you even figure this out". Wish for the life of me I could find that tweet again, but, such is the unceasing tidal wave that is the Internet

EscherEnigma

Adventurer
How 1st level PCs could get a (very expensive) spelljamming helm? how to prepare encounters where PCs can shoot giant monsters with canons or giant crossbows from the spelljamming helm?
I'd say WotC should just shamelessly steal (and streamline) from Paizo's Starfinder: Make explicit an assumption that the PCs will acquire, one-way-or-another, a Spelljammer in short order (by level 3 or so) and then bump it straight outside of the game's economy, saying that while it will be upgraded continuously, it's done narratively, and not based on gold.

I'd be very interseted in a 5e-style take on such rules.

Its a popular cliche. Eberron had a similar issue: The creator introduced a large church centred around protection of innocents from evil, so naturally some of the supplementary writers depicted it as a corrupt and autocratic institution full of intolerance and extremism.
You talking about the Silver Flame?

Unless Baker talked about it somewhere that the other writers on the original Eberron Campaign Setting pushed things, it's had those shades of darkness from the start with the whole "the demon in the flame", the genocide of all lycanthropes and shifters, taking over a country, and so-on... which entirely fit in with the overall noir theme, and there not being any "pure" good guys in the setting.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Keith's commentary on the CotSF is that it's supposed to be mostly good with some dark spots, rather than mostly gray with a mix of white and black spots.

It took me ten minutes to figure out what CotSF means. Which is Church of the Silver Flame.

In Twitter responses, Keith called it the Silver Flame.

Nymrod

Explorer
Keith's commentary on the CotSF is that it's supposed to be mostly good with some dark spots, rather than mostly gray with a mix of white and black spots.
Rather, the Flame in Thrane is largely moderates who truly want to help others except for Shadow cultists and people like Krozen. It is the mainly Aundairan sect that is full of zealots.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases