D&D 5E 3 Classic Settings Coming To 5E?

On the D&D Celebration – Sunday, Inside the D&D Studio with Liz Schuh and Ray Winninger, Winninger said that WotC will be shifting to a greater emphasis on settings in the coming years. This includes three classic settings getting active attention, including some that fans have been actively asking for. He was cagey about which ones, though. The video below is an 11-hour video, but the...

On the D&D Celebration – Sunday, Inside the D&D Studio with Liz Schuh and Ray Winninger, Winninger said that WotC will be shifting to a greater emphasis on settings in the coming years.

This includes three classic settings getting active attention, including some that fans have been actively asking for. He was cagey about which ones, though.

The video below is an 11-hour video, but the information comes in the last hour for those who want to scrub through.

Additionally, Liz Schuh said there would be more anthologies, as well as more products to enhance game play that are not books.

Winninger mentioned more products aimed at the mainstream player who can't spend immense amount of time absorbing 3 tomes.

Ray and Liz confirmed there will be more Magic: The Gathering collaborations.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
What is missing? The vast majority of the monsters in BXCM that I can think of are already in 5e.
Thouls, which are about as dopey of a monster as could be -- serious late 1970s, early 1980s, "I'll surprise my players with this monster" vibes -- but which are pretty much an iconic BD&D monster.

Looking at the Creature Catalog, there's a lot of monsters who never made the jump. (Often for good reasons, it must be said.)

Attachments

• Creature Catalog.png
    Creature Catalog.png
    483.2 KB · Views: 83

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Thouls, which are about as dopey of a monster as could be -- serious late 1970s, early 1980s, "I'll surprise my players with this monster" vibes -- but which are pretty much an iconic BD&D monster.

Looking at the Creature Catalog, there's a lot of monsters who never made the jump. (Often for good reasons, it must be said.)
I remember picking up the Creature Catalog at Waldenbooks back in the day (remember Waldenbooks?!) and being absolutely floored at the variety of monsters. Living statues, vapor ghouls, vampire roses, archer bushes, the hivebrood, wychlamps...some really good BECM vibes in there.

There were some pretty terrible ones, too, that should probably stay behind. Like some of the ones on Pg. 76.

thomkt

Explorer
They could roll Spelljammer and Planescape into a single book on adventuring in alien realms. Neither group of fans would be thrilled, but it'd be a quick way to cover the planes and the phlogiston, along with enhanced vehicle rules, new lineages and subclasses, and lots of interesting magic and monsters.
I love Spelljammer and am lukewarm at best towards Planescape (well, other than the art, the artwork is among my favorite) and I think this is the best way how to handle it. Replace Wildspace with the Astral Plane and require the use of portal keys to enter other planes. It would be easy to blend the two flavors.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm predicting one of the two new setting books will be a Magic Plane, like Ravnica and Theros. I'd personally love to see Kamigawa, Tarkir (I think it's called Tarkir) or Innistrad get the setting treatment.

The three in question we're specified to be classic D&D Settings being worked on for 5E.

Given that tin the past, WotC has started that their top Settings are the Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Ravenloft, Planescape, and Dark Sun, I would suppose that Dark Sun and Planescape are likely next. They make good genre boosters, which they are looking for in these books, and are ripe for reimagining along similar lines to what they are doing with Ravenloft.

Birthright would be cool, as doing a Game of Thrones or Fire Emblem inspired genre booster could really expand the game in fun directions.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I would expect there to be more MTG settings coming, just not this year.

I think that Ravenloft coming out drives a stake through the heart of Innistrad as a 5E setting, though. Hopefully they'll carve out some space in the Ravenloft book on how to make it work for Innistrad.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend

Funny, I just found my creature catalogue (AC9) a few days ago and started converting some monsters from it (I think I have posted 4 so far). However, when you said BECM, I had assumed you meant the monsters included in the boxed sets. Most of those have already made it to 5e (I think).

Weiley31

Legend
Well Ravenloft is the first. I'd be absolutely surprised if they didn't release a 5E Dragonlance book alongside the new novels that are coming out this year. Third is a crapshoot honestly.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Funny, I just found my creature catalogue (AC9) a few days ago and started converting some monsters from it (I think I have posted 4 so far). However, when you said BECM, I had assumed you meant the monsters included in the boxed sets. Most of those have already made it to 5e (I think).
Knowing the right terminology to use for the various versions of Basic D&D has never stopped being a pain in the ass for me.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads