Explorer
Your opinion ?

Dig
level 2 - transmutation
Casting time: 1 action (Ritual)
Range: contact
Components: V, S, M (a piece of metal)
Duration: 1 hour
This spell grants a digging speed of 5 feet, digging a 5'x5' tunnel.
Sorcerer; Wizard

At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, you can target on additional humanoid for each slot level above 2nd. The humanoids must be within 30 feet of each other when you target them.

Flying Vessel
level 6 - transmutation
Casting time: 1 action
Range: 90 feet
Components: V, S, M (a vehicule or carpet)
Duration: Concentration, up to 8h
Sorcerer; Warlock ; Wizard

You make an object fly, for example a water vehicle or a carpet, to a maximum of 2 sizes bigger than the caster. The target gains a flight speed of 30 feet for the duration of the spell. When the spell ends, the target falls if it is still in the air, unless a fall can be prevented. Each creature that uses an oar to paddle (in the air) increases speed by 5 feet. Sails may also raise the speed, according to DM.

The immobilized vehicle, emptied of its occupants, remains at a height of 5 feet in the air.

At higher levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 7th level or higher, you can increase the target's flight speed by 15 feet for each additional spell level.

Note: A warlock's patron may require limitations instead of concentration,such as not invoking the name of their God or signing themselves, otherwise the spell will end. Some ask for the soul of their summoners. The spell level may then be significantly lowered.

Increased load

level 1 - Transmutation
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S, M (a small block of granite)
Duration: concentration, up to 10 minutes
Sorcerer; Wizard

Your charge capacity is doubled for the duration of the spell. You gain advantage on your Strength characteristic rolls exclusively for lifting or carrying loads, if success is not automatic according to the DM.

At higher levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the charge is doubled for each level beyond the first. When using a 6th level spell slot, you can carry one ton, doubled the same way with each higher level.

Last edited:

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Dig
level 2 - transmutation
Range: contact
Components: V, S, M (a piece of metal)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 hour
This spell grants a digging speed of 20 feet.
Sorcerer; Wizard

At higher levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, the speed increase
by 10 feet for each level of slot beyond 2nd level.
I like the idea, sort-of like Water Breathing.

Maybe get rid of concentration, and instead of increasing the speed at higher levels, allow additional creatures to be affected by it?

Flying Vessel
level 6 - transmutation
Range: 90 feet
Components: V, S, M (a vehicule or carpet)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 hour up to 8h
Sorcerer; Warlock ; Wizard

You make an object fly, for example a water vehicle or a carpet, no matter its size. The target gains a flight speed of 30 feet for the duration of the spell. When the spell ends, the target falls if it is still in the air, unless a fall can be prevented. Each creature that uses an oar to paddle (in the air) increases speed by 5 feet. Sails may also raise the speed, according to DM.
The immobilized vehicle, emptied of its occupants, remains at a height of 5 feet in the air and invisible until the return of its occupants.
At higher levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 7th level or higher, you can increase the target's flight speed by 15 feet for each additional spell level.
Note: A warlock's patron may require limitations instead of concentration,such as not invoking the name of their God or signing themselves, otherwise the spell will end. Some ask for the soul of their summoners. The spell level may then be significantly lowered.
I like the idea, but IMO as a ritual such a spell is too powerful.

Again, instead of increasing speed, maybe allow larger vessels, I don't think rituals can be upcast as rituals... so I'm not certain about that. I could be wrong though....

I would require a bonus action to command the vessel each round, maybe.

I don't know... like the concept, but it could be a bit strong in execution. Also, an option that through daily casting (with a costly matieral component) could make the effect permanent like other spells.

Increased load

level 1 - Transmutation
Sorcerer; Wizard

Your charge capacity is doubled for the duration of the spell. You gain advantage on your Strength characteristic rolls exclusively for lifting or carrying loads, if success is not automatic according to the DM.
At higher levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the charge is doubled for each level beyond the first. When using a 6th level spell slot, you can carry one ton, doubled the same way with each higher level.
This is really stronger than Enhanced Ability for Strength, which is 2nd level by default, so I would rethink it and decide is it even needed.

peterka9

Explorer
I like the idea, sort-of like Water Breathing.

Maybe get rid of concentration, and instead of increasing the speed at higher levels, allow additional creatures to be affected by it?
Fine. I'll do it!
I like the idea, but IMO as a ritual such a spell is too powerful.

Again, instead of increasing speed, maybe allow larger vessels, I don't think rituals can be upcast as rituals... so I'm not certain about that. I could be wrong though....

I would require a bonus action to command the vessel each round, maybe.

I don't know... like the concept, but it could be a bit strong in execution. Also, an option that through daily casting (with a costly matieral component) could make the effect permanent like other spells.
Bonus action: fine! If it is too strong, I'll get to remove the ritual tag. As per permanent... this is Magic Items area , i'll not go there!
This is really stronger than Enhanced Ability for Strength, which is 2nd level by default, so I would rethink it and decide is it even needed.
Really ? This is for lifting-like actions only, not for athletism and wrestling.

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
Would the material being dug through in the "dig" spell affect the rate of digging? As a player, I would definitely try to use this in a dungeon.

Stalker0

Legend
So a few language cleanups:

1) Digging speed isn't a thing in 5e. Do you mean burrow speed?

2) Increased Load - Charge Capacity, do you mean your carrying capacity?

So lets compare Flying Vehicle to Wind Walk, which handling 10 creatures effectively performs a similar function.

Wind Walk does not require concentration, 8 hour duration, gives a speed of 300 (and you can dash for 600 ft movement), and allows you descend safely if the spell ends (a big advantage with fly spells). There is also the secondary benefit that you look like a cloud from a stealth perspective. The major disadvantage is you really can't take any actions except move and it takes time to transform back, which is a big deal if you are attacked. Of course, with a 600 ft speed, there are very few things that will be able to keep up with you and attack you for long, so realistically you are pretty darn safe from most aggression.

Comparing them, in terms of a spell for travel, Wind Walk ultimately is the superior option to me. So I would lower your spell to 5th level to make it more appealing.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Really ? This is for lifting-like actions only, not for athletism and wrestling.
Well, let's compare the two spells:

Here is yours, Increased Load (IL):
Increased load

level 1 - Transmutation
Sorcerer; Wizard

And Enhanced Ability (EA):
1609010508278.png

Level 1 (IL) vs. Level 2 (EA) - IL is better
Range 30 feet vs. Touch - IL is better
Casting Time 1 action (ritual) vs. 1 action - IL is better
Components both VSM - no winner
Duration 10 minutes vs 1 hour (both concentration) - EA is better

Both allow double carrying capacity. Now, as you say you are restricting the Strength ability checks advantage to only carrying and lifting, but a creative player could apply that to things like grappling ("I want to lift him over head and throw him!") and it would easily apply to feat such as lifting a gate or something.

EA has the benefits of more universal application of advantage, and you can have it work for ANY ability score (not just Strength) as well as affecting more than one target if cast at higher spell level. But since the Strength component in IL allow continuously heavier loads with higher level slots, it can make you stronger than EA.

IL is better in many ways at doing what it does (more focused) than EA, and as a ritual can be used over and over without hindrance. Rituals, IMO, are one of the most powerful features for Wizards, and this would certainly be a boon for them IMO.

IDK, given that Enhanced Ability already exists, I can't see a good reason for such a spell... but YMMV of course.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
So a few language cleanups:

1) Digging speed isn't a thing in 5e. Do you mean burrow speed?

2) Increased Load - Charge Capacity, do you mean your carrying capacity?

So lets compare Flying Vehicle to Wind Walk, which handling 10 creatures effectively performs a similar function.

Wind Walk does not require concentration, 8 hour duration, gives a speed of 300 (and you can dash for 600 ft movement), and allows you descend safely if the spell ends (a big advantage with fly spells). There is also the secondary benefit that you look like a cloud from a stealth perspective. The major disadvantage is you really can't take any actions except move and it takes time to transform back, which is a big deal if you are attacked. Of course, with a 600 ft speed, there are very few things that will be able to keep up with you and attack you for long, so realistically you are pretty darn safe from most aggression.

Comparing them, in terms of a spell for travel, Wind Walk ultimately is the superior option to me. So I would lower your spell to 5th level to make it more appealing.
The Flying Vessel idea will, I think, end up being used far more often as a flying platform either for surveillance or for aerial cover during combat than for long-range travel, as anyone on said vessel (other than the 'pilot' who needs to keep the thing aloft) can act as normal; where with Wind Walk all they can do is travel.

This flexibility is what makes FV attractive.

Remove ads