• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

3 weeks till new Who!

sabrinathecat

Explorer
No, not everything.
But once again, the writers of the story do not understand the laws of time. If a crucial piece of the atomic clock is stolen and never returned, how can the clock work? The part was never returned. Lots of other bits make no sense.
Also, the medical doctor as written was totally incompetent. No medical doctor would ever just insert a probe into "mysterious anatomy". Oddly enough, Doctors are trained to avoid malpractice. Funny, huh? And a hospital that size would have 4 or 5 x-ray rooms, and at least one portable unit. The x-ray machine being broken makes no sense.
Medical Doctor accepts that the Doctor is an alien--the man she put the probe into and 'killed'. Then has to have it explained to her again, when the Doctor pulls the broken probe out from his chest. ???
The Doctor is NOT half-human. Need I actually explain that?
The Doctor is not a messiah.
The doctor is not a Frankenstein (Though BFP--yes Big Finish Productions--did have the 8th Doctor travelling with Mary Shelly and Agatha Christie (separately I think) in different stories)
Doctor Who is not Highlander.
The Master is not a vampire.
The Eye of Harmony is not inside the Tardis.
I could keep going.

If you think I am exaggerating, check out the DVD extras. The excuse offered by the producer pretty much says exactly that. Sure, I extrapolated, but only because the Producer was proud of the 'accomplishment', and claimed he thought it could have been the new series pilot, if only it hadn't aired on the same night as the last episode of some network sitcom. (Rosanne Barr show? I don't remember. Or care).

If anyone ever wonders why Series 1 didn't start with the Doctor regenerating into 9, just see what a mess it made of this story.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
A new trailer - this one specifically for the next episode:

[video=youtube;Q2FTWhU5TIw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Q2FTWhU5TIw[/video]

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I could keep going..

Yes, but most of your points are about violating continuity. Consider for a moment how little the idea of "continuity" means when the main character's major ability is to change the timeline!

And, while perhaps those things are a big deal to you, they aren't many. They were rebooting the series for a new market and audience - trying to move from the BBC and US PBS viewers, over to the US mass market. I then expect and accept there will be changes. That's okay. I worry more about how much fun it is to watch, not how slavishly they stick to what has gone before.

There are a few points of bad medical science and such, but really, if I swallow time travel in the first place, I'm not going to worry so much about those, either. What they did medically is no worse than how, on pretty much every medical drama, ever patience seems to needs to have electrified paddles slapped on their chest and someone yelling, "clear!".

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Hey, if the changes made for a good show or a better show (like a lot of what RTD did), I would be fine with that. But it wasn't a good show. And by having the doctor start as 7th and then regenerating, that pretty much says "We are continuing from the original show." This is why McGann is the 8th doctor, not a new Doctor from a parallel universe.
And while the character may change the time line, or jump from one universe to any other parallel universe ("It used to be easy"), which might be why there are 3 Loch Ness monsters and 3 or 4 different conflicting civilizations that evolved on Mars, the character himself says true to himself.
Furthermore, the TV movie was pretty much universally panned. Not just by lone crackpots like me, but by just about every fan of the show.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Like I said before, that is SO targeted towards a kid's series on CBBC. If one doesn't start by next year, I'll eat my hat!

Herschel

Adventurer
I find the one set on the playground very nice. The sentiment is sweet (possibly to the point of pancreatic shock-inducing for some) but it has the Doctor wearing his "old" costume/outfit. It makes me wonder if there will be a specific reason for this or if it's just Moffat f*ing with us.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads