[3.x] 3rd Party Hidden gems?

Stone and Steel is the book you are thinking of and was mentioned earlier in the thread :). I recommend Hollowfaust from Sword and Sorcery, its an excellent treatment of necromancy; Secrets of Pact Magic was mentioned earlier in the thread, both it and its companion volume (Villains of Pact Magic) are both excellent and available in PDF if hard copy is too pricey. The SFX skills series from UKG Publishing is well done (think Alternity D*M FX skills ported to d20), The System Operation Reference Document from Myth Merchant Press (what the Rules Compendium could have been or the worlds greatest reference document), finally I need to second Silverthorne Games Book of Templates Deluxe Edition simply great.

Aus_Snow

First Post
There was a book from Monkey God Enterprises called Something and Steel which was a supplement on historical arms and weapons from various periods. Pretty cool.
From Stone to Steel. It was mentioned (by me) and quoted, even. ;)

Anyway, I'll second Torn Asunder: Critical Hits, while I'm about it. Didn't know if it (and many another) would count as 'hidden' enough a gem, but since you brought it up, yeah, I have to agree - it's quite an excellent supplement.

EricNoah

Adventurer
These gems aren't really hidden, but dollar for dollar I have gotten extremely good value out of Tome of Horrors revised, and Green Ronin's Advanced Bestiary (probably the only monster template book I will ever need).

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
... Some of those sound cool, but I know that Hot Pursuit isn't available anymore. Adamant yanked a huge chunk of their stuff...

Speaking of this, I thought they had pulled them as a precursor to putting out 4E versions. But now that the GSL has changed so a publisher can have the same product under OGL and GSL, has anyone heard whether or not the OGL versions may become available again?

I've got the OGL versions of both Hot Pursuit and Hot Pursuit: On Foot, and I can say they are very useful and well done products. I know there are a lot of people that hadn't heard of them before they were pulled or just never was able to get around to getting them. It would be awesome if they came back. I hope they do put out a 4E version also (although I really don't see why the OGL version couldn't work practically as is with 4E). Skill challenges seem to be a very versatile and effective tool, but for chases, I don't think a skill challenge can be nearly as effective as Hot Pursuit.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Ink and Quill (Dragonwing/Bastion): a free supplement that I thought was interesting, but may not be for everyone.

Redhurst Academy (Human Head)

The New Argonauts (Sean K Reynolds): some cool mechanical stuff and it is free

A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe (Expeditious Retreat)
I have all those. ;)

Book of Templates by Silverthorne Games.
It always makes me happy when people mention Book of Templates. (I had a hand in its creation, as a contributor.)

I like it better than the advanced bestiary by Green Ronin. I particularly like the original 3.0 BoT's elemental templates, best of the half dozen or so versions I've seen in various sources including WotC. Their minor magicks book of non adventuring cantrips and their race books are nice too.
I have the Advanced Bestiary, as well. You're right, it's not as good as BoT but I'm biased. I haven't found a real use for it yet. :erm:

Living Imagination has a fantastic ritual rules set for 3.5 in Spellbound. Their Broadsides has the most realistic ship movement rules I've seen incorporating momentum and wind directions into tactical ship to ship combat, but its a bit crunchier than most want for their pirate games. Streets of Silver is a huge 3.5 renaissance style city.
Streets of Silver is one of my favorite city settings. I use it for my homebrewed world; although, I haven't bought any of the other LI books. I do have Broadsides as a PDF... it was provided for free one year by LI during an online event here at EN World.

Bad Axe Games has a nice little ley line magic system in its elf book. I wish he would put the whole Grim Tales Book online for sale.
I just recently got a copy of this book. I haven't had a chance to look at it in detail yet. It looks... interesting, however.

I know we're not voting but I'm giving my vote to "Ancient Kingdoms - Mesopotamia" by Necromancer Games. It is one of my favourite supplements.
I have that one too.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Other great d20/OGL books...

• Anything related to the 3.5 version of the Avadnu setting by The Inner Circle but especially the 3.5 PDF monster book Complete Book of Denizens. (I'm not sure if it's still available, however.)
  • Bluffside: City on the Edge by Thunderhead/Mystic Eye Games. One of the best d20 city books ever made. The followup book, Dry Land: Empire of the Dragon Sands is great too.
  • City State of the Invincible Overlord by Judges Guild. Nuff said!
  • Make sure you check out the Penumbra line of OGL products from Atlas Games; especially the following: Crime & Punishment, Dynasties & Demagogues, Love & War, and Touched by the Gods.
  • The Primer of Practical Magic by Pelgrane Press. A book of magic based on Jack Vance's The Dying Earth. :cool:
  • Valus, created by EN World's own Ryan Smalley (Destan). Published by Different World Publications.
  • WARRIORS by DBA Skirmisher Publishing. A 3.0/3.5 book with lots of great ideas.

Azgulor

Adventurer
Hardly a complete list of 3rd-party gems, but here goes.

Fantasy

Fields of Blood – Eden Studios. Mass combat and realm management.
Torn Asunder – Bastion Press. Critical hits & fumbles
A Game of Thrones – Guardians of Order/White Wolf. Excellent d20 treatment of A Song of Ice and Fire. Snagged the rules for Influence & shock for my campaign.
Barony & Manor – The Forge. Great resource for staffing feudal manors and baronies with stock NPCs already made, along with a sample map/setting of the feudal realm in question. While I didn’t agree with all of the assumptions used, I found it a useful compliment to A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe.
A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe – Expeditious Retreat Press. THE d20 treatment of feudalism.
Grim Tales – Bad Axe Games. Streamlined d20 Modern for any genre.
Heroes of High Flavor – Bad Axe Games. Detailed treatment on elves, dwarves, and orcs/half-orcs.
Nation Builder – Troll Lord Games. One of the Gygax-world-building series. A great sourcebook for providing an in-depth treatment to your campaign nations.
Redhurst Academy – Humanhead Studios. Hogwart’s style school of the arcana ala D&D.
Toxicant – Mad Kaiser Games. Everything you ever wanted to know about poisons and then even more. THE definitive RPG treatment on poisons, anywhere.
Arcane Quarter – The Game Mechanics. A series of locales and NPCs that can be used in the default setting of the city of Liberty or can be used as desired for your own campaign city.
Unorthodox Classes – The Le Games. Additional 20-level classes for your 3.x game. Unorthodox Pirates is probably my favorite b/c it finally gave me a worthy swashbuckler class that could stand on its own.
Cityworks – Fantasy Flight Games. Excellent sourcebook for designing fantasy cities and running adventures and campaigns within them.
Crime & Punishment – Atlas Games/Penumbra. Law enforcement, investigations, justice, punishment, and imprisonment rules for your fantasy d20 game.
Love & War – Atlas Games/Penumbra. An excellent companion volume to Green Ronin’s Cavalier’s Handbook, Love & War focuses less on class mechanics and instead focuses on the 4 knightly virtues, how the various D&D races view knighthood, knightly orders, tournaments, etc.
The Kingdoms of Kalamar Atlas - Only useful if you're running a Kalamar campaign, but if you are, it should be treated as a core rulebook.
Divine Masters - The 3.5 rulebook on Kingdoms of Kalamar religions. In addition to the Kalamar fluff, lots of 3.x clerical crunch to grab. I used it to customize the religions in my campaign (which uses The Book of the Righteous).

Modern/Sci-Fi

Grim Tales – Bad Axe Games. Streamlined d20 Modern for any genre.
Blood-n-Space / Blood-n-Circuits / Blood-n-Guts – RPGObjects lines of supplemental D20 Modern rules. Not to missed. Although you may not use all of it, there’s plenty of good stuff to choose.
Modern Players Companion / Future Players Companion – The Game Mechanics. Since it’s not WotC, they’re not considered core, but dammit, they should be. Must-have rules for any d20 Modern or d20 Future game.
D20 Mecha – Guardians of Order. Fantastic vehicle construction book for d20 games.
Martial Arts Mayhem – The Game Mechanics. Kick-butt martial arts expansion for D20 Modern/Future games.
Future Armada – Ryan Wolfe. Hands-down, the best RPG starship deckplans in existence. Each is gorgeously illustrated, includes “action shots” artwork, deckplans, and pre-made NPC crews and ship stats for d20 Future.

For all the derisive cries of "inferior" 3rd-party products, and d20 "bloat", it was the 3rd-party publishers that brought me back to D&D and, more importantly, enabled me to tailor my campaign to my and my players' tastes. Plenty of gems out there and I keep finding more!

Greg K

Legend
For all the derisive cries of "inferior" 3rd-party products, and d20 "bloat", it was the 3rd-party publishers that brought me back to D&D and, more importantly, enabled me to tailor my campaign to my and my players' tastes. Plenty of gems out there and I keep finding more!

Yeah, the third party stuff (along with Unearthed Arcana) really brought me back to D&D as well, because it allowed me to to tailor the game my taste and that of my players. It was also the third party stuff that bought me to d20Modern.

Greg K

Legend
Since third party d20M products have been mentioned, here are my d20M gemes

1. Elements of Magic: Mythic Earth (EN Publishing): a replacement for magic fx.
2. Psychic's Handbook (Green Ronin): a replacement for mental power fx
3.Blood and Fists (RPGObjects): imo, the best treatment for martial arts in d20/d20M.
4. Modern Player's Companion (The Game Mechanics): The highlights for me include: Great information on the d20M that should have been in the core book, new occupations, using multiclassing to represent professions, and new equipment.
5. Modern High (RPGObjects): adapting the rules for High school campaigns
6. Blood and Blades (RPGObjects: classic slasher villains with the serial numbers file off.
7 Hot Pursuit (Adamant)
8. Hot Pursuit: On Foot (Adamant)
9. Foe Factory: Modern (Adamant): Quick NPC creation
10. Thrilling Tales (Adamant): Pulp genre reference and rules
11. Sidewinder: Recoiled (Adamant): Western genre reference and rules
12. Solid! (Wingnut): just for the history of Blaxploitation films and reference list.

I still need to check out the following RPG Objects: Blood and Space 2, Blood and Guts 2, Blood and Relics 2, Blood and Brains, Blood and Spooks, Blood and Time

Last edited:

Remove ads