• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

3.x Bucket List

JoeGKushner

First Post
Depends on where you are in your D&D collection to start with. For example, someone with numerous campaigns and background books will enjoy Ptlous, but it's not as useful as someone who is looking for a campaign setting.

But nontheless....

Castle Whiterock: All in one big old dungeon crawl.

Rappan Athuk Reloaded: Similiar but old school. Playing as if every encounter were well balanced and there for the taking will just get you killed. Not for everybody.

City of Brass: Packed to the gills and has a lot of stuff.

sckeener

First Post
  • Ptolus
  • Fiendish Codex I
  • Heroes of Horror

Filcher said:
DCC #35 – Gazetteer of the Known Realms
DCC #51 – Castle Whiterock

I'd recommend DCC #35 – Gazetteer of the Known Realms if I was allowed a 4th choice.

I can't comment on Castle Whiterock yet since no one got me it for Christmas like I wanted. (grumble)

Greg K

Legend
sckeener said:
[*]Fiendish Codex I
[*]Heroes of Horror[/list]

If I could have listed more books, both of these would have been on my list. Fiendish Codex I is, imo, the best supplement in terms of quality released by WOTC. However, I chose Unearthed Arcana (which I consider WOTC's second best book) over it as UA, despite being flawed in a few sections, has a lot of excellent material for tailoring the game, tailoring classes and designing campaigns and, therefore, more utility.

Festivus

First Post
eric mcloins said:
AFAIK, Ptolus is out of print, so you'll either have to hunt it down, or buy the pdf.

When it won the Ennies, I hoped they would reprint it and put out some more stuff, but no such luck.

Saw one recently on ebay for $200.00, other than that it is a luck thing.

Voadam

Legend
Tome of Horrors Revised
Unearthed Arcana
Expanded Psionics Handbook

If you use d20srd.org then the latter two are unnecessary and I would go with Spell Compendium and Magic Item Compendium instead.

Greg K said:
Sorry, I can't limit myself to 5 let alone 3. I would probably need to list anywhere from ten to fifteen as there are too many excellent products. However, if you remove the limit, I'll be happy to participate.

Fair enough, but can you rank order them? Just say what you like, but the 3 limit was designed to get just the very best.

Remove ads