• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

3.x Bucket List

Lords of Madness (aberrations done right; I don't think we'll see their like again in 4th edition with the changes to monster types)
City of Brass (awesome setting, who knows if it will fit into 4th edition's cosmology)
Shackled City Adventure Path (love it or not, its the adventure which epitimises the heart of 3rd edition, rules bloat and all)

I'd be tempted to put in an honourable mention for War of the Burning Sky, but there's a fair chance it will be getting an update to 4th edition anyway.

Greg K

Legend
haakon1 said:
Fair enough, but can you rank order them? Just say what you like, but the 3 limit was designed to get just the very best.

Will you accept arrangement by category? Anyway here is my must haves with my absolute favorits marked with an asterik. (Edit: I now see that I have 19 must haves).

General utility in setting design and rules tinkering:
- *Unearthed Arcana (WOTC)

Class Books
- *Psychic's Handbook (Green Ronin): How I wish Psionics worked
- *Shaman's Handbook (Green Ronin)
- *Witch's Handbook (Green Ronin)

Combat Maneuvers
- Book of Iron Might (Malhavoc) : What I wish the TOB: B09S maneuver system had been.

Equipment
- From Stone to Steel (Monkey God)

Monster Books
1) *Advanced Bestiary (note: I still have not seen the Book of Templates)
2) *Fiendish Codex I (WOTC)(note: I haven't seen Book of Fiends)
3) Monster Manual 2 (WOTC)
4) Fiend Folio (WOTC)
5) Dragonomicon (WOTC): if dragons are used
6) Lords of Madness (WOTC): if abberations are used.

Alternate Magic Rules
- Elements of Magic: Revised (EN Publishing)
- Elements of Magic: Lyceian Arcana (EN Publishing)
- * Elements of Magic: Mythic Earth (Ok. haven't tried for DND, but love it for d20 Modern)

Alternate Magic Item Creation
- *Artificer's Handbook (Mystic Eye Games)

Misc
- Heroes of Horror: if running a horror game
- Stormwrack: if running aquatic/ocean encounters or adventures
- Book of Vile Darkness: soley as a DM sourcebook

Last edited:

Aus_Snow

First Post
Greg K said:
1) *Advanced Bestiary (note: I still have not seen the Book of Templates)
2) *Fiendish Codex I (WOTC)(note: I haven't seen Book of Fiends)
If you get a chance, would you mind posting your thoughts on comparisons there?

Everyone I know, who has come across those four products, thinks more highly of those in parentheses. I concur.

I would be curious to see whether it goes that way out in the big wide world, or whether there are actually any who prefer the first in either of those pairings.

Mind you, to be fair (to FC I) the Book of Fiends is more like the equivalent of FC I + FC II + a FC III that never happened.

Greg K

Legend
Aus_Snow said:
If you get a chance, would you mind posting your thoughts on comparisons there?

Everyone I know, who has come across those four products, thinks more highly of those in parentheses. I concur.

If I ever get a chance to see those in parenthesis, I would be glad to (note that I wrote I *have not* seen them). Both books are on my to buy list. I am especially eager to see Book of Fiends as I consider FC I to be the best WOTC supplement in terms of overall quality (Erik Mona and James Jacobson did a stellar job).

SSquirrel

Explorer
Robert Ranting said:
Ptolus
Monte Cook's Arcana Evolved
Complete Book of Eldritch Might

Robert "Brand Loyalty to An Ended Brand" Ranting

I try not to be too much of a Monte fanboy, but FTW :) I picked up the Elements of Magic stuff back on the last sale but haven't been playing lately so I haven't gotten around to reading it all. 4 Colors to Fantasy was great too (tho I prefer the non d20 Modern version)

Remove ads