• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

3.x solo adventures

GuJiaXian

Explorer
My wife and I are looking at starting up with 3.x again, likely with the Pathfinder rules. However, our situation is such that it's easier to play with small groups (often just me and my wife). I've played 3.x since it was released, and I cannot remember any solo adventures/modules. Please toss recommendations my way. Thanks!

Aus_Snow

First Post
Can you vouch for the quality? I've never heard of the company before.
Unfortunately, no. :erm: I own a couple of their other (non-adventure) products, and I'm glad I do, but that's probably not particularly relevant here. I can, with total honesty, say that I'm not - even remotely! - connected to the company or anyone who is or ever has been a part of it, if that helps. :D Just can never tell around here, so I figure it's worth adding.

Also, I *have* heard (well, read) good things about their adventures. Mind you, someone on EN World was complaining recently about a map in one. But I seem to recall that the other posters liked the adventure well enough. . .

edit --- Oh, and the reason I even suggested it in the first place is that it seemed a perfect fit - solo adventures for Pathfinder? Heh, how about 11 of them! ;)

Crothian

First Post
Can you vouch for the quality? I've never heard of the company before.

They are pretty good. As will all adventure lines there are some better then others and it really depends on what you yourself feels is a quality adventure. If you want solo adventures though, that's it. No ones that I've seen, and I've seen nearly everything, has made solo adventures for 3e. They are having sell that ends today so you can get some and try them out.

Nebten

First Post
But aren't each of these modules key'ed towards one class or another? How hard would it be to keep the same PC to run through all those mods?

GuJiaXian

Explorer
My wife almost always plays rogues, and at least two of those adventures are for rogues. Right there, that's good enough for me on that front. As for this sale, it looks like the solo adventures are only $3 off, so no huge rush there (their 4e products are 50% off it seems, though).

Last edited:

roguerouge

First Post
Speaking as someone who DMs a campaign with one PC, you don't need specifically designed adventures. Just use adventures about 4 levels below your wife's PC's level to account for the party's lower level and action economy poverty. I also added ongoing NPCs which she could travel with, RP off of, and take on adventures or not. Leadership is a must-have feat. The cast includes: a BFF, a brother, a pseudodragon, a medic, some Paizo goblins she's converting, and several non-traveling NPCs. You want a stable of characters for some simple reasons. She'll need someone to RP with and that's easier with ongoing characters. She'll need someone to bounce strategic and tactical ideas off of, because it's damn hard to do that with no help. It provides some combat cushion to prevent early-death syndrome.

Three keys to making this entourage a success:

1. The PC is the star. Do not treat the NPCs like they are your characters. They're tools to make the experience fun for her. She makes decisions, they provide advice and support. I flat out ask her what she wants her friends to do in combat situations; it's only if she doesn't have an opinion do I use my own judgment.

2. Do not make the NPCs finicky to play. You have tons on your hands running the world and running these NPCs is an extra thing for you to handle. From 3E, the classes should be fighter, barbarian, sorcerer, dragon shaman, favored soul. A wizard with an encyclopedia for a spell book or a shape-shifting summoning druid is a stupid move on your part.

Corollary: Do not make the NPCs powerful. She is the star, they are the entourage. Give them under the hood feats that boost their saves or add pluses to their attacks. Do not give them additional options and don't stress about making them well-designed. Being underpowered is part of their job description. No metamagic cheese, no awesome feat synergies, and they get the leftover magic items at the PC's discretion.

3. Each NPC starts with one note personalities. In my campaign, the brother gives the jock perspective on things, the pseudodragon gives the scheming side of things, the BFF gives the geek kid sister view, the medic gives the stick-in-the-mud view, and the goblins give the rampaging id view. It keeps it simple for you and keeps it clear for her. Complexity comes in year two.

roguerouge

First Post
Modules that I've used:

Dungeon Crawl Classics "Legends are Made, not Born," "Dragonfiend Pact", Escape from the Forest of Lanterns, The Adventure Begins, and Cage of Delirium.

Green Ronin: Freeport saga.

Paizo: the Falcon's Hollow set, Rise of the Runelords 1, Carnival of Tears.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads