• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hong

WotC's bitch
IMO, the wolverine's player should have cut the other guy some slack.

Hong "it's all fun and games until someone loses a PC" Ooi

Darklone

Raging wolverine with bat wings... Damn.

Back to our loved topic "How rage and going berserk is different today".

You could have ruled that the wolverine does not think this is an attack. Yet, you didn't. Not much sense to ponder about that now. Your decision made sense anyhow.

How did you go on? Rolled up a new char?

Asheron

First Post
The descision made sense, yes, but IMO the death of the new character should have been avoided. Although not very "in game like" it's probably better for the party/gaming group/session. IMO it's probably not so much your fault as it is the wolverines fault.

But the descision has been made so no looking back on it.........

Stalker0

Legend
While animal rages aren't frenzies, I believe there is a clause in their that says you can't engage. And while it does say one opponent, I've always saw it as multiple opponents.

For future reference, you can rule that the wolveriene will stop raging when he's no longer attacked, which is the case here. Personally, I think it was more the player's fault than yours, players should IMO always try to use the rules to save their friends, and there's plenty of latitude here to work with.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
I think you forgot something really important: when a new PC comes onto the scene, she is blurry and blinky for about ten seconds; during this time, she is invulnerable.

Oh wait -- that's Super Mario Brothers I'm thinking about. Wrong game.

Actually, I think it's a good idea, though, and one I've used in a similar situation (in a new PC's first combat, a demon suggested that she attack the party barbarian; she did so, and the barbarian attacked back, and criticaled, killing her in one blow). If a PC is about to die ignomiously (sp?) before she gets a chance to do much of anything, consider stretching the rules a little bit.

In my case, I had her stabilize at -9 HP and lose a point of strength for every HP beyond -9 that she would've lost otherwise. It knocked her completely out of this combat, but she was able to enter into affairs later on.

In the future, you may want to consider something similar: give a new PC immunity from really unlucky dice for her first session. Stupidity may still get her killed, but she won't die because of luck.

Daniel

maddman75

First Post
I generally treat these animals' rages as a barbarians' rage. They just can't choose to go into it or not - it happens when they get damaged. Unless it was a goblin PC that walked up, I wouldn't have him count the goblin as an opponent.

I think you're reading rules into flavor text myself.

Lenet Cor Tarak

First Post
Clarification

What I disagreed with was the interpretation that "opponent" means everyone in sight; I see that others above agree with your interpretation. But an opponent *ought* to be a single individual. It does get fuzzy; does this mean that the wolverine has to kill any one of the enemy party, in which case he would have dropped out of the rage several enemies ago, or does he need to specifically kill the individual who put him in the rage? (I'm not sure whether he did that.) If the latter and he never does kill the individual, will he be in a rage in perpetuity? Obviously not, or the party would need to despatch the wolverine or leave it behind and that would be the end of the character.

The rule doesn't address what to do with multiple opponents or what to do if the opponent, say, dimension-doors out of there. I was thinking of the rage as being like one of those fantasy magic swords that has to kill someone--anyone--before it can be sheathed again, and since the wolverine had killed several goblins, well.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads