• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

3e NPC Generators with edit capability?

MaxKaladin

First Post
I'd like to know if there are any NPC generators out there that allow you to edit the generated NPCs? Jamis Buck's generators are OK, but often stuff comes up that I'd like to change. I'd like a generator that will present me with an NPC and then let me change things I don't like and print out the final result. Does anything like this exist?

Thanks

Luke

Explorer
RolePlayingMaster does it

RolePlayingMaster does this very well.

It comes with Jamis Generators, and you can create all the creatures you want.

From there, you can change virtually anything, from adding templates, to changing the race, to adding, changing or removing any class levels.
Everything is fully recalculated when you do anything like this. It even remembers the base ability rolls, so that if you change the race, the abilities are adjusted according to the correct racial adjustments. This includes races which have low standard ability adjustments, utilizing a special adjustment formula from the DMG.

You can, as an example, see which feats were chosen, as opposed to gained from race or class levels, and make appropriate manual adjustments if you end up with too many, as a result of class level editing.

Twin Rose

First Post
MaxKaladin said:
I'd like to know if there are any NPC generators out there that allow you to edit the generated NPCs? Jamis Buck's generators are OK, but often stuff comes up that I'd like to change. I'd like a generator that will present me with an NPC and then let me change things I don't like and print out the final result. Does anything like this exist?

Thanks

Campaign Suite also does this - very well. It has a full class editor and everything, so you can be sure to get exactly what you want. The character editor is pretty advanced as well, but easy to use.

ruemere

Adventurer
pcGen...

PcGen.
Available from http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/.

Features? Everything allowed under d20 and OGL.
Supplements included? The WotC core (SRD), many d20 materials (all implemented at respective author's permission), anything you enter by yourself (text editor required).
Price? Free.

Requirements: latest Sun Java, a little computer knowledge.

Regards,
Ruemere

Last edited:

Twin Rose

First Post
Re: pcGen...

ruemere said:
Features? Everything allowed under d20 and OGL.
Supplements included? The WotC core (SRD), many d20 materials (all implemented at respective author's permission), anything you enter by yourself (text editor required).
Price? Free.

He asked for an NPC generator - by that, I believed he meant randomly "generated" characters with equipment, stats, etc. PCGen, last I was aware of, had no random generation as it was forbidden by the d20 STL.

MaxKaladin

First Post
Re: Re: pcGen...

Twin Rose said:

He asked for an NPC generator - by that, I believed he meant randomly "generated" characters with equipment, stats, etc. PCGen, last I was aware of, had no random generation as it was forbidden by the d20 STL.

Exactly. I've got PC Gen. It works well for keeping track of PCs and major NPCs, but making NPCs with it is time consuming and importing from the Jamis Buck generators doesn't seem to work well, especially with the latest version. I'm looking for something that will just throw out a quickie NPC and let me fiddle with stuff before I print. I'll look at this Campaign Suite, too.

Thanks.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads