D&D 3E/3.5 3e's first ever specialty priest!

Al

First Post
...is a homebrew one.

Well, following my thread on General Discussion about specialty priests and the lack thereof in 3e, I decided to make one for myself. I didn't think I knew enough about the 'official' pantheons to devise some for them, and I'm not sure how they would compare with the 2e ones from e.g. Oerth's journal. So here it is: just the game rule information, I'm afraid. If I posted everything, it would be far too long...but if interested, I could email you the rest.

GAME RULE INFORMATION

Pioctele, the Goddess of Temptation, Treachery and Deceit, has a following and a clergy which differs radically from the more martial deities such as Chrumank or Ealvos. Whilst a priest of Chrumank may be happiest smiting his foes in an orgy of bloodshed, Pioctelites, the specialty priests of Pioctele, are the master manipulators, with powers only rivalled by bards and rarely superseded by even mindbenders. Evil to the core, they seek to subtly subvert their opponents and, given time, can transform the most ardent and virtuous paladin into a simpering puppet to their mistress. Whilst their hearts may be black, they are adept at camouflaging their true nature, and few, if any, can penetrate their shroud of innocence and veil of charm. They typically dress in white robes to perpetuate this appearance of goodness.

Pioctelites have the following game rule information:

Abilities: Charisma is the most important ability for Pioctelites. Not only does it affect their social skills, but Pioctele grants spells based on Charisma (and not Wisdom), and it furthers affects their Shake Faith and Break Faith abilities. Intelligence and Wisdom are still important, as this can affect the depths of their intrigues. The physical statistics are less important, as Pioctelites endeavour to avoid battle.

Alignment: Lawful or neutral evil

Hit Dice: d6

Class Skills

The Pioctelite’s class skills are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Innuendo (Wis), Knowledge (all) (Int), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Scry (Int), Sense Motive (Wis) and Spellcraft (Int).

Pioctelites gain 4+Int mod skill points per level, and quadruple this amount at 1st level.

Class Features

All of the following are class features of the Pioctelite:

Armour and Weapon Proficiency: Pioctelites are proficient with the same weapons and armour as wizards.

Spells: Pioctelites gain spells as an ordinary cleric, and can additionally memorise Sor/Wiz spells from the Illusion or Enchantment schools as divine spells of one level higher (thus, a Pioctelite could memorise Dominate Person as a 6th level spell). Charisma is the key ability for determining bonus spells, maximum spell level and save DCs.

Domains: Pioctelites must take the Trickery domain, and can select Law, Evil or Charm as their second domain.

Mandatory Bluff: Pioctelites must have at least one rank in Bluff per level of Pioctelite in order to advance (thus, to reach 13th level, a Pioctelite needs 13 or more ranks in Bluff). At first level, the Pioctelite must buy one rank in Bluff.

Weakened Combat Spells: All spells causing direct damage (such as Blade Barrier or Flame Strike) are prepared at one level higher, have a caster level of two levels lower and have a DC two points lower than usual. Thus, an 11th level cleric of Pioctele with Charisma 20 memorising Flame Strike would use a 6th level slot, have an effective caster of level of nine, and have a DC of only 18.

No Energy Channelling: Pioctelites can neither spontaneously convert spells to cure or inflict, and neither can they turn or rebuke undead. This is because Pioctele cannot access Positive Energy, and chooses not to access Negative Energy to maintain a façade of goodness.

Proof versus Divinations: Pioctelites receive a +1 profane bonus to save against divinations at 1st level and every fifth level (+2 at level 5 etc.) and against spells that detect lies or trickery (such as Zone of Truth).

Shake Faith: By speaking softly and gently to any intelligent creature, the Pioctelite can convince him of real or perceived contradictions in his faith. Whilst the creature can eventually throw of its doubts, its loses all divine abilities, such as divine spells, undead turning, divine feats and granted abilites for one round per level of Pioctelite unless he can make a Will save of DC (10+1/2 Pioctelite level + Pioctelite’s Cha mod). This is a mind-affecting, language-dependent compulsion effect, and takes one full round.
It can be used once per day at 3rd level and one additional time for every four levels after that (7th, 11th, 15th, 19th). Anyone that saves against the Pioctelite cannot be further affected by the Shake Faith ability unless targeted by a different Pioctelite of higher level.

Undetectable Alignment: At 6th level, Pioctelites are continually protected by Undetectable Alignment, as the 2nd level spell, cast at their level. If dispelled, the Pioctelite can resume it immediately as a free action on his next turn.

Seamless Lies: At 9th level, the Pioctelite can take 10 on a Bluff check.

Tempt: At 11th level, the Pioctelite can manifest the Temptation usage of atonement once per day in addition to any atonement spells memorised. This rises to twice per day at 14th level, three times per day at 17th level and can be used at will at 20th level.

False Alignment: At 12th level, the Pioctelite can appear as whatever alignment he chooses. Thus, he could register as good if subjected to a Detect Good spell.

Break Faith: At 18th level, the Pioctelite’s Shake Faith ability becomes so convincing that he can permanently undermine the victim’s faith. At the end of the duration of Shake Faith, the victim must make another save at the same DC. If this save fails, he loses all divine abilities permanently, until he is atoned by a cleric of his former faith of higher level than the Pioctelite.

Multiclassing: Pioctelites can multiclass as sorcerers, wizards, bards or rogues. If they multiclass into any other class they cannot progress in level as a Pioctelite. If they multiclass into barbarian, they lose all special abilities and spells of the Pioctelite class.

Ex-Pioctelites: Follow the guidelines for ex-clerics in the PHB.

THE PIOCTELITE

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
1 +0 +0 +0 +2 Proof vs. Div +1
2 +1 +0 +0 +3
3 +1 +1 +1 +3 Shake Faith 1/day
4 +2 +1 +1 +4
5 +2 +1 +1 +4 Proof vs. Div +2
6 +3 +2 +2 +5 Undetectable Alignment
7 +3 +2 +2 +5 Shake Faith 2/day
8 +4 +2 +2 +6
9 +4 +3 +3 +6 Seamless Lies
10 +5 +3 +3 +7 Proof vs. Div +3
11 +5 +3 +3 +7 Shake Faith 3/day, Tempt 1/day
12 +6/+1 +4 +4 +8 False Alignment
13 +6/+1 +4 +4 +8
14 +7/+2 +4 +4 +9 Tempt 2/day
15 +7/+2 +5 +5 +9 Shake Faith 4/day, Proof vs. Div +4
16 +8/+3 +5 +5 +10
17 +8/+3 +5 +5 +10 Tempt 3/day
18 +9/+4 +6 +6 +11 Break Faith
19 +9/+4 +6 +6 +11 Shake Faith 5/day
20 +10/+5 +6 +6 +12 Tempt at will, Proof vs. Div +5

Edit: Added some descriptive text.

Last edited:

drowdude

First Post
Vaxalon said:
How many Faerunian specialty priests have there been in Dragon magazine now? Six? Seven?

Dont forget the Greyhawk ones... Mighty Contender of Kord... Fleetrunner of Ehlonna, etc... ;)

Chun-tzu

First Post
This class looks pretty good to me, at first glance. I tend to think of evil classes as NPC classes, which always changes a few things, but aside from the alignment issue, this character's ethos seems more suitable to an NPC than a PC. I know that if I'm DM, I don't want my players acting seductively and whispering sweet nothings in my ear unless they're female!

I like the class' progression of abilities, although it's not how I would design one. This pretty much combines class and prestige class. I said it before in the other thread, but I'd prefer a more customizable cleric combined with prestige classes. But that's because I see prestige classes as something that 95% of characters should be aiming for (assuming that good prestige classes are available, that suit the character). This class reminds me more of the way the designers intended prestige classes to be, i.e., no more or less powerful than the core classes, just more specialized.

What strikes me about this deity, however, is that if this is the only deity in our pantheon that has passion or love in her portfolio, then that says something very striking about the world. It would have to come from a very puritanical society, if seduction and sex were exclusively associated with sin and temptation.

Al

First Post
yeah, but those are prestige classes, this is a core class variant specialty priest...

Exactly. This is the first 'core' specialty cleric.

I think they're more appropriate as prestige classes.

The problem with that is that you have to go through several levels of a very combat-orientated cleric base class to reach the prestige class. The classic DnD cleric, which is very combat-orientated, would be thoroughly inappropriate for this type of goddess.

What strikes me about this deity, however, is that if this is the only deity in our pantheon that has passion or love in her portfolio, then that says something very striking about the world. It would have to come from a very puritanical society, if seduction and sex were exclusively associated with sin and temptation.

Not so. I haven't quite fleshed out my pantheon yet, but there is at least one other goddess who has a sexual aspect, and she's the chaotic neutral goddess of Hedonism, Pleasure and the like. There is a good goddess, but she is more orientated towards romantic and emotional love than physical pleasures. And, incidentally, the main Empire in the world will be fairly puritanical.

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
Well... you know my opinions

Firstly, this isn't the first core-class speciality priest. They all are, they are one of the more customisable classes when you think about it. Domains, gods etc... all allow you to make a flavoursome cleric.

Oh and you can't say that the class is combat orientated... I think you base that on the Fort Save and BaB? I think they are better than some classes in combat but you can very easily play a non-combat cleric. Seeing as after the first say 5 levels you are not fantastic at combat, I think this would be fine as a low level (and more accepted, and make more sense if you think of it as a primer for being chosen by the church hierarchy to serve more specifically) PrC.

Have to go so can't write much more now, but overall I think some of those powers (the permanent ones in particular) are a little harsh! And in that respect make better powers for a PrC, for which one would have to make sacrifices to enter.

Al

First Post
Firstly, this isn't the first core-class speciality priest. They all are, they are one of the more customisable classes when you think about it. Domains, gods etc... all allow you to make a flavoursome cleric.

The core-class specialty priest is customisable, but only to a limited extent. All wear heavy armour. All either turn or rebuke. All have cleric BAB and saves. All either spontaneously cure or inflict. All have pretty much the same class skills (with certain domains allowing caveats) and number of skills per level. etc.

Oh and you can't say that the class is combat orientated...I think you base that on the Fort Save and BaB

Yes I can. To be fair, most DnD classes are geared up for combat in one way or another. Despite this, heavy armour proficiency, Fort save and BAB, are all clear indicators of a frontline combat role, and many of the powers (turn undead, spontaneous cure/inflict etc.) are clearly combat-orientated.

Have to go so can't write much more now, but overall I think some of those powers (the permanent ones in particular) are a little harsh!

Not really. The power I assume you are referring to is Break Faith. Bear in mind, though, that by that stage, you are wielding 9th level spells! How is Break Faith more harsh than, say, Soul Bind, Power Word: Kill or Imprisonment?

Last edited:

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
is the subject of the post

I haven't been on these new fangled things, so I don't know how to quote yet. I am sure you will work out what I am referring too however.

The Cleric is a core class because, as it does it exactly as it says on the tin, it is a CORE class. Your argument about it being only customisable to a limit is true, but then it is supposed to have that limit. We don't want the old 2nd ed make your own class rules now do we? All the other base classes allow you to mix and match things, and with PrCs you are specifically allowing *new, interesting and unique* abilities. Thus, as a speciality priest is ...er... speciality, then a PrC is the thing for it to be. Core classes can be edited yes (I recommend in the case of the Ranger and Paladin but that is another story), but I would reduce it to swapping in and out one or two abilities, such as armor proficiencies for more social class skills or maybe healing for better weapon proficiencies, depending on where your loyalties lie.

If this class, with its what seem to me as PrC type abilities (oh and a note on the break faith thing, is it equal or higher level cleric that can break it or just higher, cos a 20th level piciwhatsit is scary! And why don't they just go and target every cleric of a level higher than them and then eventually get everyone... but that is a bit silly ignore that) where was I? Oh yes, these seem to be abilities suitable to a PrC rather than a normal class. The Cleric as it is, is more customisable than say a Wizard (more domains than schools) or even a Monk (who choose ...er... feats?). Make the requirements suitable to the faith, and when you look at the difference between say a Clr 5/Pic 1 and a *this version* Pic 6, then the base attack bonus would be the same, fort save higher and more armor profs, but then the PrC could add a limit to armor if you choose. Then allow progression through the class, with limits and powers as you have them, and everyone is happy eh?

3rd edition has PrCs for a reason... and that is to replace the old specialities and kits and things, and IMO all core classes start of the same anyway... even with kits they used to have the same roles in the party. Ok that is it. May have not responded to every point. Oh well. Enjoy!

Remove ads