3PP Release (3rd Party Book Release) Paranormal Power: A Psionics Option for 5e and A5e, written by Steampunkette!

dave2008

Legend
I just upped my pledge by $4 to get you to a clean $7,000, B&W archetypes unlocked!

1673524251974.png

To back or not to back that is the question I ask myself. ;) While I do happen to have the 3e D&D's Expanded Psionics Handbook and Complete Psionics and Pathfinder 1st Edition's Occult Adventures, I don't have much of an interest in psionics outside of Pathfinder 1st Edition's Kineticist class. You can thank the Avatar: The Last Airbender series and the Naruto anime for my interest in that class. :p

OMG, I just realized something, each of the Benders in the Last Airbender series bend their own element with something akin to a Combat Tradition. Each element a particular bender can bend has it's own stances and it's own maneuvers! :D

Anyhow, keep up the good work! :)

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
To back or not to back that is the question I ask myself. ;) While I do happen to have the 3e D&D's Expanded Psionics Handbook and Complete Psionics and Pathfinder 1st Edition's Occult Adventures, I don't have much of an interest in psionics outside of Pathfinder 1st Edition's Kineticist class. You can thank the Avatar: The Last Airbender series and the Naruto anime for my interest in that class. :p

OMG, I just realized something, each of the Benders in the Last Airbender series bend their own element with something akin to a Combat Tradition. Each element a particular bender can bend has it's own stances and it's own maneuvers! :D

Anyhow, keep up the good work! :)
Yup. I've been sitting on four elemental combat traditions for a bit. Waiting for either GPG Pitch time or my next book: Martial Artistry!

As far as the Esper goes... it's a very different kind of psionics from the Expanded Psionics and Complete Psionics books. Less Crystals, for one thing.

The class itself, separate from the powers it gains access to, gets most of the hallmarks of psychics as options leveling up. At level 1 they get a psychic attack, at level 2 they start picking up Noetics (psychic invocations, basically) and can take on a psychic focus, which gives expertise on two kinds of skill checks.

At level 4 they get Psychometry. Object Reading. You get to pick between People, Places, and Things, and gain some information by touching an object or walking into a room or speaking with the ghosts that hang out around people.

And then the Archetypes are pretty wild, too. Mediums and Chirurgeons, Mindhammers, Psychic Warriors, and Thymokineticists.

So it's very much a "Psychic!" class, rather than "Bending" in that regard. Well maybe the Thymokineticist, since they're emotional elementalists. But honestly they're more like "Carrie" than Aang or Korra. Psionic Rage! They go into this "Unfettered" state and get rage-like bonuses for a minute. Guess it could be interpreted as an "Avatar State", in hindsight...

And then the powers themselves are WAY different from the Psionics Handbooks. Rather than making each expression of psionics into a separate spell, I bundled them together into a series of flexible powers that function like cantrips as a baseline, but you get to augment and change them to make them do what they do better.

The powers list is:

Tier 1
Body Manipulation (All the 'Mind over Matter' type stuff)
Empathic Interference (Emotional Manipulation)
Telekinesis (What it says on the tin)
Telepathy (Same)

Tier 2
Astral Body (Make an Astral Self that can communicate, eavesdrop, and use powers)
Chirurgery (Psychic Healing for yourself and allies and also crushing the bad guy's heart)
Energy Manipulation (Fire, Ice, Lightning)
Psychoportation (Teleporting yourself or bits of an enemy)
Warp Perception (Add, Subtract, or Change what the target sees)

Tier 3
Planeswalking (Project your spirit to the Astral Plane. When you leave the Astral, your body appears on the plane your spirit exited to)
Synchronic Combat (Mind-Link with another adventurer for bonuses)
Warging (Get into someone or something's head, directly, and either see what it sees or force it to act under your direct control)

So it's a -much- shorter list than exists in the Psionics Handbooks by WotC and TSR. Only 7 pages, in total, of psionic powers. The Expanded Psionics Handbook had 72 pages worth! That's bigger than this whole book!

So... very different, indeed!

Remove ads