3PP Release (3rd Party Book Release) Paranormal Power: A Psionics Option for 5e and A5e, written by Steampunkette!

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
I’m a little confused. Assuming the 35k goal is not reached , the stretch goal art is only available as a separate PDF? I would much prefer to wait and have it incorporated into the book. Am I misunderstanding?
I'm afraid so.

The process of getting all the art together will put the book past the OGL 1.0a 6 month window almost certainly, so I will be releasing the book as soon as the kickstarter ends. Because while I'd love to be part of a class-action suit against Wizards for trying to pull the OGL 1.0a I cannot afford to be their first target/victim.

However once the book has been released it's covered by OGL 1.0a indefinitely, and the art-swap special edition is technically the "Same Book", and would be covered by the grandfathering of OGL 1.0a published works.

Now it's certainly possible that there will be a Paizo-lead legal push against "De-Authorizing" the OGL which occurs within the 6 month "Grace Period" WotC wants to use. But considering how long court cases go, that would still leave me twisting in the wind and a potential target for WotC.

It sucks, truly. But this OGL debacle dropped in my lap 2 days after the kickstarter launched, and there's just no good way to deal with it. So I'm doing what I think is the best in a bad situation.

I'm afraid so.

The process of getting all the art together will put the book past the OGL 1.0a 6 month window almost certainly, so I will be releasing the book as soon as the kickstarter ends. Because while I'd love to be part of a class-action suit against Wizards for trying to pull the OGL 1.0a I cannot afford to be their first target/victim.

However once the book has been released it's covered by OGL 1.0a indefinitely, and the art-swap special edition is technically the "Same Book", and would be covered by the grandfathering of OGL 1.0a published works.

Now it's certainly possible that there will be a Paizo-lead legal push against "De-Authorizing" the OGL which occurs within the 6 month "Grace Period" WotC wants to use. But considering how long court cases go, that would still leave me twisting in the wind and a potential target for WotC.

It sucks, truly. But this OGL debacle dropped in my lap 2 days after the kickstarter launched, and there's just no good way to deal with it. So I'm doing what I think is the best in a bad situation.
Ok, I don’t have issue with releasing the book as is, if you plan on updating the PDF with the incorporated art later. Is that what you’re doing? I don’t get print books anymore so I really only want to understand how this works with the PDF.

PS - the OGL clock hasn’t started yet, so who knows on that front.

Steampunkette

Supporter
Ok, I don’t have issue with releasing the book as is, if you plan on updating the PDF with the incorporated art later. Is that what you’re doing? I don’t get print books anymore so I really only want to understand how this works with the PDF.

PS - the OGL clock hasn’t started yet, so who knows on that front.
I could incorporate the art into the PDF and do a separate PDF release months later. It would just result in a weirdly mixed-media product.

But if that's what you want, I will do it for you, especially! <3

I could incorporate the art into the PDF and do a separate PDF release months later. It would just result in a weirdly mixed-media product.

But if that's what you want, I will do it for you, especially! <3
Maybe ask the backers what they want in an update? I just assumed that was what we were getting, so I may not be the only one confused. Don’t do anything just for me, see what the majority of your supports want.

Also, are you doing a print run or are these print-on-demand? If the are print-on-demand you can release the original PDF file and then just update it later and people can print whichever version the want.

Avoids all the OGL issues too.

Steampunkette

Supporter
Maybe ask the backers what they want in an update? I just assumed that was what we were getting, so I may not be the only one confused. Don’t do anything just for me, see what the majority of your supports want.
I mean... the majority of backers won't complain if 6-8 months from now they get an alternate version of the PDF released with the Commissioned Art Pack. I say especially for you because you brought the desire to my attention. Not -only- for you.
Also, are you doing a print run or are these print-on-demand? If the are print-on-demand you can release the original PDF file and then just update it later and people can print whichever version the want.

Avoids all the OGL issues too.
At the end of the kickstarter I'll be doing prints for everyone who ordered the hardcover. And PoD will be available after that point.

I mean... the majority of backers won't complain if 6-8 months from now they get an alternate version of the PDF released with the Commissioned Art Pack. I say especially for you because you brought the desire to my attention. Not -only- for you.

At the end of the kickstarter I'll be doing prints for everyone who ordered the hardcover. And PoD will be available after that point.
Ok, I just think the stretch goals are a bit confusing and you might want to clarify with your backers and supporters. It is last paragraph that seems to explain that we are not getting a book with commissioned art in it. Honestly I didn’t even read the paragraph at first. I just don’t want people to be surprised when they get the PDF / book and it doesn’t have the stretch goal art in it. I know that would have surprised me.

Last edited:

Remove ads